The Student Room Group

PSYA2 Resit - HELP PLEASE!

Hi guys, i'm resitting again and the exams on wednesday. Can someone help me with the following:

- Gradual Commitment, Contractual Obligation
- Locus of control
- Methods of Stress Management

Help would be appreciated!

Reply 1
Gradual commitment (also 'foot in the door') is when someone is asked small, doable tasks and progressively asked more difficult ones. This was shown in Milgram's electricshock experiment where the voltage given by the participant slowly grew, and many found it difficult to disobey once they had administered the first voltages of low shock.
Not sure about contractual obligation but I assume it's just that - forced to do something by a contract!
An internal locus of control is one in which the person believes they are in control of the situation; that they have the power to make it go well or badly. An external locus of control means the person believes outside forces are in control e.g god or fate
Methods of stress management are Meichenbaum's SIT, the three-step practical training of identifying stressors, thinking of ways to reduce them - for example, make eye contact in conversation to reduce anxiety -, and review; physical exercise (temporary relief, takes the mind off of it); drug treatment (effective but doesn't target stressor and user may become dependent); and talking to friends and family (emotional support, doesn't target stressor). There're a few more like Biofeedback and Kobasa's hardiness training but I don't remember a lot about them:frown:
Hope this helped!:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Meggers
Gradual commitment (also 'foot in the door') is when someone is asked small, doable tasks and progressively asked more difficult ones. This was shown in Milgram's electricshock experiment where the voltage given by the participant slowly grew, and many found it difficult to disobey once they had administered the first voltages of low shock.
Not sure about contractual obligation but I assume it's just that - forced to do something by a contract!
An internal locus of control is one in which the person believes they are in control of the situation; that they have the power to make it go well or badly. An external locus of control means the person believes outside forces are in control e.g god or fate
Methods of stress management are Meichenbaum's SIT, the three-step practical training of identifying stressors, thinking of ways to reduce them - for example, make eye contact in conversation to reduce anxiety -, and review; physical exercise (temporary relief, takes the mind off of it); drug treatment (effective but doesn't target stressor and user may become dependent); and talking to friends and family (emotional support, doesn't target stressor). There're a few more like Biofeedback and Kobasa's hardiness training but I don't remember a lot about them:frown:
Hope this helped!:smile:

Thank you!!
Reply 3
Original post by PerkyB
Thank you!!

No problem:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending