The Student Room Group

Failed first year as an international student

Hi, I’m a first year student at Newcastle University studying psychology and I think I might’ve failed my resits. I’ve tried researching as much as I could but I couldn’t really find anything. Psychology is something I really wanna do and pursue and it’s just been a hard year. I don’t have any PECS or anything it was just a *****y year. Does anyone know what my next steps should be ? Is it possible I can go forward to second year without passing an exam ? And also if I do fail is it possible for me to redo my first year this year or would I have to take a gap year ? Please let me know, thank you!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m a first year student at Newcastle University studying psychology and I think I might’ve failed my resits. I’ve tried researching as much as I could but I couldn’t really find anything. Psychology is something I really wanna do and pursue and it’s just been a hard year. I don’t have any PECS or anything it was just a *****y year. Does anyone know what my next steps should be ? Is it possible I can go forward to second year without passing an exam ? And also if I do fail is it possible for me to redo my first year this year or would I have to take a gap year ? Please let me know, thank you!!

Have you looked through your course handbook to see what it says about failing resits and retaking years? It should be in there. If not, contact your course tutor and ask.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

Please don't worry, your lecturers and module leaders will appreciate that for whatever reason you might have had a tough year. Your first step should be to get in touch with your Personal Tutor, they will be able to advise you about what you can do. You could also email one of your lecturers if there was one you spoke to a lot or got on with well!

You can also get in contact with the School of Psychology, this is their phone number: +44 (0)191 208 0599

There are also several key contacts in Psychology such as Dr Gabriele Jordan, Head of Psychology ([email protected]) or Dr Billie Moffat-Knox Stage 1 Director ([email protected]). The full list of key contacts can be found here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/psychology/contact/

Again please don't worry, you may not have failed your resits! If you do want to talk to someone, student wellbeing support is available 24/7 and they will be able to help you with whatever problem you have, this is the link: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/wellbeing/

I hope that helps!

Jeremy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending