The Student Room Group

A2 Economics - F585 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the least and 10 being the most;
How confident are you about this exam?
Original post by mrsmeagol
Achieving growth in welfare includes indicators such as education which it is equal to or better than the average EU, this will help its progress to sustainable development as good education would help to improve the stock of human capital for the future (as there is a time lag for education courses to be completed) and may increase the productivity of the labour force in the future which is among the last ten EU states. Health care is also an indicator which Estonia does badly at with male life expectancy of 50 years. This is important for its progress to SD because if more people die early, it will reduce the stock of human capital which is part of the 4 factors that needs to be preserved for future generations for sustainability.

However Estonia's progress towards sustainable development depends on the other areas of its sustainable estonia 21 strategy...........

I would then go on to mention the indicators of the other 3 areas and say why they are important in estonias progress to sustainable development

Hope this helped :smile:

Yh thats good, pretty much the way i would go about it.
So for example would talk about pollution, and renewable resources...and how they are poor in that respect. Then would explain why this is bad for SD (using up renewable resources means less for future generation and therefore limits their capabilities to grow at the extent Estonia have today)
What would you do for the other two?
Reply 462
Original post by Remeeeee
Thank you! yes it did... i was thinking along the same lines, but it all just seemed so 'waffly' to me :s lol Thank you very much though :biggrin:

you're welcome :smile::biggrin:
Original post by sacheeen

its a weird exam, because you don't really revise from your textbook, rather just do a bunch of questions ppl say on here
Reply 464
Original post by jordan6278
its a weird exam, because you don't really revise from your textbook, rather just do a bunch of questions ppl say on here

Ah true, what grade are you aiming for?
Reply 465
Original post by Hunarench95
^ Kuznet's Curve is worth taking a look at as well!

You're a legend for showing me this!
Original post by kellis94
I do.. What is your email and I can send you mine

Could you please email it to me too? [email protected]
Original post by fletchdd02
You're a legend for showing me this!

Use it wisely :biggrin:
Ah true, what grade are you aiming for?

want an A, need 77 ums for an A, so still quite high...you?

question, what do you think the sustainable development question will be?
if its like how far have Estonia achieve/going to achieve in future SD...then that will be good...don't know what else it could be realistically, other than a variation of the question (how important is education for SD in Estonia)

got any ideas?
Reply 469
Original post by jordan6278
Yh thats good, pretty much the way i would go about it.
So for example would talk about pollution, and renewable resources...and how they are poor in that respect. Then would explain why this is bad for SD (using up renewable resources means less for future generation and therefore limits their capabilities to grow at the extent Estonia have today)
What would you do for the other two?

for coherent society, i would probably talk about its performing poorly in terms of relative poverty and income inequality, if more people are living in relative poverty (should try and improve this by progressive taxation) it would reduce their standards of living which reduces development. But they are good in terms of early school leaver which means they stay in longer in schools etc and stock of human capital will increases in the future which is sustainable.

for viable cultural space, Estonia is best at this. Traditional values in upbringing ethics and morals are important for sustainable development as it helps to improve social capital which should be preserved for future generations to inherit Estonia's traditional values

5, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 471

about 7.5
Reply 472
Original post by Remeeeee
But surely 50 healthy years from birth means they'll probably die between 50-60? no? :s Could you explain please? :smile:

yeah you could mention that, plus they are last in Europe in terms of healthy life.

you could also say having 50 years healthy life may mean they don't live past their retirement age (63 for men), it would still affect the supply of labour

Thanks for this!
Reply 474

just read about it on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuznets_curve

could you link that to why 50% of Estonia's total GDP is in tallin?
Reply 475
Original post by mrsmeagol
just read about it on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuznets_curve

could you link that to why 50% of Estonia's total GDP is in tallin?

No you'd use the Lorenz curve to show income equality.

You could use the Kuznets curve to show how an increase in GDP doesn't necessarily result in more sustainable development.
the Kuznetz curve also works for pollution. It shows that an increase in income per capita results in increased pollution and then passed a certain point pollution decreases...this is very useful
Reply 477

You could use the Kuznets curve to show how an increase in GDP doesn't necessarily result in more sustainable development.

how does an increase in real GDP lead to an increase in sustainable development

So you could use the Lorenz curve to show how inequality is occurring in Estonia...and basically just show a line "far away" from the line of equality

Then you could use the Kuznetz curve to show how increase in GDP can lead to inequality

You could also use a different variation of the Kuznetz curve which shows pollution increases and then decrease as income per capita increases

Is this all right?

After reading some of the over-done questions people suggest on here .. 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending