The Student Room Group

Hardest A-Levels POLL

Poll

Which of these A-levels do you find relatively hard?

Which of these A-level subjects do you relatively find the hardest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Languages defo, especially when your not a native of the chosen language!
Then i would say the sciences and maths, but i wouldnt say business to be completely honest!
Physics isn't on the list would say that out of all, but i chose chemistry. Languages would say are tough aswell
Physics by far.
Reply 4
Original post by Alleykat606
Where's physics? Where's music? Where's art?

seriously, OP.....

OP's post says "Which of these A-level subjects do you relatively find the hardest?"

these

these

these
Harder in what sense?

There are some subjects which are easier to get an A in, but much more difficult to get an A* in.

In some subjects it comes more down to working hard, whereas in others if you're not good enough you will struggle.

Four different measures of difficulty, which produce wildly different results.

If we're talking work and talent required to achieve an A*, I'd say languages/music/art.

If we're talking hard work required to get an A, then it might be a subject with a heavy coursework focus e.g. Engineering, or perhaps subjects with a lot of content like History/Biology.

Just picking the "most difficult" subject is pretty uninformative and depends entirely on the type of student.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
surprisingly chemistry is one of my easiest subjects dunno all this commotion
Reply 7
Original post by The Polymath
Harder in what sense?

There are some subjects which are easier to get an A in, but much more difficult to get an A* in.

In some subjects it comes more down to working hard, whereas in others if you're not good enough you will struggle.

Four different measures of difficulty, which would produce wildly different results.

The biggest factor IMO is what the person is good at. So much emphasis is put on Chemistry, Maths etc as the hardest subjects, but I find them WAY easier than if I'd have to do any essay-based subjects such as Lit or Lang. I can't draw for crap, so I'd probably fail at Art etc.

One of the reasons certain subjects are said to be more difficult that others is probably because the subject is easy at GCSE due to such small content, easy papers and generous mark schemes and then they take it up at A-Level, don't work, and fail. Biology and Chemistry are good examples of this.
Personally, I have the most respect for languages (at A level anyway.)
Reply 9
how is ICT up there but not physics?
Probably further maths, personally I think the average student would find chemistry easier. (Based on the poll since FM and Chem are close)
Original post by chris-69
op's post says "which of these a-level subjects do you relatively find the hardest?"

these

these

these

well that ain't good enough!
You put Psychology twice but not Physics? :s
Reply 13
Where's history?
I like how you purposely put psychology instead of physics. Your thread got my attention.
Reply 15
Original post by Alleykat606
well that ain't good enough!

Good enough for what? What makes a post 'good enough'?This is OP's question, he's asking which, of the given A-Levels provided, are the hardest, not which are the hardest A-Levels out there if every single subject were taken into consideration.

In your post you clearly did not understand that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tie between a foreign language (for obvious reasons) and chemistry. God I hate that subject
Reply 17
Geography is meant to be REALLY hard to learn for with all the facts
From the subjects I actually study I picked Further Maths. However, if I was taking any humanities subjects/ english/ languages (which I don't do because I'm not very good at them, don't enjoy them, and find them HARD) my answer would probably change. But I can't say now that English would be the hardest because I don't study it so don't actually know...
This poll is always going to be skewed by the number of people doing each subject too.
Original post by Chris-69
Good enough for what? What makes a post 'good enough'?This is OP's question, he's asking which, of the given A-Levels provided, are the hardest, not which are the hardest A-Levels out there if every single subject were taken into consideration.

In your post you clearly did not understand that.

sorry, was a joke... I'll go to my bedroom now, dad

Quick Reply

Latest