The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by C94
Hello, we only need to know about the following experiments:

11 Describe how to carry out a study on the ecology of a habitat to produce valid and reliable data (including the use of quadrats and transects to assess abundance and distribution of organisms and the measurement of abiotic factors, eg solar energy input, climate, topography, oxygen availability and edaphic factors).

17 Describe how to investigate the effects of temperature on the development of organisms (eg seedling growth rate, brine shrimp hatch rates).

18 Describe how to investigate the effect of different antibiotics on bacteria.

"From the Edexcel SNAB Specification"

Thank goodness for that!
Reply 401
Original post by hussaincute
okay guys please start asking some hard questions now

Im liking that idea!

How does the HIV virus lead to someones death?
can somebody summarise the whole HIV mechanism leading to death?
Original post by Sravya
Im liking that idea!

How does the HIV virus lead to someones death?

lol should I call it a coincidence? :P okay u explain it to me? :biggrin:
I've just been reading people thoughts and predictions about tomorrows exam and I've got some more extra ones which I haven't seen in the last couple of exams:

-the way bacteria reproduce - asexual and binary fission
-the way some bacteria are able to transfer genes between each other -
a) transformation, which is when a small piece of DNA is released by the donor and actively taken up by a recipient. ( this only happens in certain types of bacteria).
b) transduction, when a small amount of DNA is transferred from one bacterium to another by a bacteriophage(a virus that infects bacteria)
c) (most common but still rare) Conjugation, genetic information is transferred from one bacterium to another by direct contact.
-the way viruses infect host cells - lysogenic pathway, which is when they insert their DNA into the host DNA so it replicates every time the host cell divides(this is called a provirus). and Lytic pathway, which is the genetic material is replicated independently of the host DNA straight after entering the host.
-what are retroviruses - viruses which have genetic RNA and reverse transcriptase.

**obviously I'm not saying this will come up for certain, but I think that they are some topics/questions which haven't been asked in recent papers :biggrin: Good Luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 405
what are the similarities and differences between viruses and bacteria?
Reply 406
can somebody summarise the whole HIV mechanism leading to death?

Brad0440 explained it really well:

There are three stages that follow the initial infection:

The acute phase:
-HIV antibodies appear in the blood (after 3-12 weeks)
-The virus enters and destroys T-helper cells to replicate, causing a net loss of T-helper cells and an increase in HIV
-A few weeks after the initial infection, the T-killer cells recognise and destroy infected T-helper cells

The chronic/latent phase:
-The action of T-killer cells keeps in check the number of HIV in the body, but cannot completely eliminate them
-During this phase, opportunistic diseases (like TB) can reactivate and other illnesses like colds can take longer to get over than normally, due to a decreased immune system

The disease phase:
Eventually, the number of HIV in the body overwhelms the immune system and causes the T-helper cell count to drop dramatically, severely damaging the immune system and indicating the onset of AIDS
Reply 407
Original post by sarakosanovic
I've just been reading people thoughts and predictions about tomorrows exam and I've got some more extra ones which I haven't seen in the last couple of exams:

a) transformation, which is when a small piece of DNA is released by the donor and actively taken up by a recipient. ( this only happens in certain types of bacteria).
b) transduction, when a small amount of DNA is transferred from one bacterium to another by a bacteriophage(a virus that infects bacteria)
c) (most common but still rare) Conjugation, genetic information is transferred from one bacterium to another by direct contact.
-the way viruses infect host cells - lysogenic pathway, which is when they insert their DNA into the host DNA so it replicates every time the host cell divides(this is called a provirus). and Lytic pathway, which is the genetic material is replicated independently of the host DNA straight after entering the host.
-what are retroviruses - viruses which have genetic RNA and reverse transcriptase.

**obviously I'm not saying this will come up for certain, but I think that they are some topics/questions which haven't been asked in recent papers :biggrin: Good Luck everyone :biggrin:

Lytic pathaway is when it leads to cell lysis right? the death of T-helper cells? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sarakosanovic

what exam board are you doing?
whatever you've mentioned has NOTHING to do with the edexcel syllabus
Reply 409
lol should I call it a coincidence? :P okay u explain it to me? :biggrin:

okay basically the HIV virus's GP120 binds onto the CD4 receptors on the membrane of the lymphocyte- T cell, and then enters the cell. Reverse transcriptase turns the RNA into DNA. The cell starts to make viral RNA with help of Intergraze. It will then make viral proteins. Thus new viruses. it will then kill the cell when it leaves the cell. The T killer cells are alerted and they will destroy the T helper cells that are infected. This will lower the overall imunity of the person as there is a reduction in T helper cells. This means that the person is now prone to opertunistic infection. this means they might die from a disease such as TB
Original post by amber109
Brad0440 explained it really well:

There are three stages that follow the initial infection:

The acute phase:
-HIV antibodies appear in the blood (after 3-12 weeks)
-The virus enters and destroys T-helper cells to replicate, causing a net loss of T-helper cells and an increase in HIV
-A few weeks after the initial infection, the T-killer cells recognise and destroy infected T-helper cells

The chronic/latent phase:
-The action of T-killer cells keeps in check the number of HIV in the body, but cannot completely eliminate them
-During this phase, opportunistic diseases (like TB) can reactivate and other illnesses like colds can take longer to get over than normally, due to a decreased immune system

The disease phase:
Eventually, the number of HIV in the body overwhelms the immune system and causes the T-helper cell count to drop dramatically, severely damaging the immune system and indicating the onset of AIDS

This is a good basic explanation but what i was looking forward was explaining in detail the whole mechanism including receptors and bacteria involved and how HIV invade the normal cell?
Reply 411
Original post by confusedgirl22
what exam board are you doing?
whatever you've mentioned has NOTHING to do with the edexcel syllabus

I completely agree
Original post by Sravya
I completely agree

thank you! i got so worried and then realized i actually have nothing to worry about.
i have NEVER seen that in the past papers or in any past syllabus!
STOP SCARING ME RIGHT BEFORE MY EXAM :frown:
Reply 413
thank you! i got so worried and then realized i actually have nothing to worry about.
i have NEVER seen that in the past papers or in any past syllabus!
STOP SCARING ME RIGHT BEFORE MY EXAM :frown:

Do you know where i can find some past paper questions from old syllabuses? Ive done all the past papers twice
Reply 414
can someone please outline the specific immune response?
Reply 415
This is a good basic explanation but what i was looking forward was explaining in detail the whole mechanism including receptors and bacteria involved and how HIV invade the normal cell?

-The protein membrane of the HIV virus fuses with the cell membrane (lipid bilayer)
-The reverse transcriptase changes DNA of the cell into viral RNA. It goes through transcription/translation
-The virus's RNA is now incooperated with the normal genetic material and leaves the cell with the cell membrane around it - can't be detected
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sravya
Do you know where i can find some past paper questions from old syllabuses? Ive done all the past papers twice

tbh, i've only done new syllabus papers. i would advise you not to do past ones as they might be slightly different and you don't want to get confused end minute.
and if you've gone through them twice, that's fine... don't stress last minute!
Reply 417
tbh, i've only done new syllabus papers. i would advise you not to do past ones as they might be slightly different and you don't want to get confused end minute.
and if you've gone through them twice, that's fine... don't stress last minute!

I wish.. i feel soo realxed about it.. (ill eat my words late) but i felt this way in jan i felt as if i knew everything and ended up with a C that showed me..but i really dont know what more to do..all the past papers i have done i have got an A* via the UMS but thats probably cause ive done it twice
Reply 418
Original post by Sravya

Someone has already posted them on this thread..probably on the 3rd or 4th page but m not exactly sure..they are really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey can someone explain the difference between a DNA probe and DNA primer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending