The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by AT95
Someone has already posted them on this thread..probably on the 3rd or 4th page but m not exactly sure..they are really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 421
Original post by Sravya
I wish.. i feel soo realxed about it.. (ill eat my words late) but i felt this way in jan i felt as if i knew everything and ended up with a C that showed me..but i really dont know what more to do..all the past papers i have done i have got an A* via the UMS but thats probably cause ive done it twice

Lol same, I was more prepared in Jan then I am now. I really thought I got an A* in Jan, but I also got a C. I realized it was not the content, that prevented me getting the grade, but it was the exam technique.

The examiners want perfect answers, they want us to be specific. I also noticed in mark schemes, they state the obvious, and that also gets you marks. There is not much we can do really.
Reply 422
Original post by Sravya
What are your predictions?
I made a list of all the possible topics and looked at the patterns...
Here is my prediction
-Structure of chloroplast
- Light dependant stage of photosynthesis
-how the products of photosynthesis are used
NPP/GPP
Carbon Cycle
Ecology prac
Niches/Succession
Cause of global warming and the effect of global warming
Evidence for global warming
Nature of the genetic code
Post transcriptional change
DNA profiling
Transcription
Bacteria vs Virus
Barriers to infection
TB
Specific immunity
Antibiotics prac
Hospital Acquired infections

I do hope this comes up! i would love edexcel so much!!!
Reply 423
Whats the difference between cell mediated immunity and the humeral response?
Reply 424
Hey guys so what are the topics likely to come up tomorrow for edexcel unit 4 biology?
Original post by Sravya
okay basically the HIV virus's GP120 binds onto the CD4 receptors on the membrane of the lymphocyte- T cell, and then enters the cell. Reverse transcriptase turns the RNA into DNA. The cell starts to make viral RNA with help of Intergraze. It will then make viral proteins. Thus new viruses. it will then kill the cell when it leaves the cell. The T killer cells are alerted and they will destroy the T helper cells that are infected. This will lower the overall imunity of the person as there is a reduction in T helper cells. This means that the person is now prone to opertunistic infection. this means they might die from a disease such as TB

i think reverse transcriptase converts DNA into Viral RNA isn it?
Original post by confusedgirl22
what exam board are you doing?
whatever you've mentioned has NOTHING to do with the edexcel syllabus

im doing edexcel, it comes up in my textbook 'Edexcel A2 Biology' but i havent seen it in the CGP which is why i dont use it by itself
Reply 427
Original post by hussaincute
i think reverse transcriptase converts DNA into Viral RNA isn it?

Nope because HIV is a hetrovirus which means it has RNA in it..plus the cell has to make into DNA so that protein synthesis can occour
Original post by HQazi
Lytic pathaway is when it leads to cell lysis right? the death of T-helper cells? :s-smilie:

yes, the host cells burst = releasing the large number of new virus particles to invade other cells :biggrin: i dont think the lytic pathway has anything to do with t helper cells :s-smilie:
Reply 429
what are the core practicals for this unit?
Reply 430
Original post by sarakosanovic
yes, the host cells burst = releasing the large number of new virus particles to invade other cells :biggrin: i dont think the lytic pathway has anything to do with t helper cells :s-smilie:

Yep
My bad! I was thinking in terms of HIV - because HIV attacks T-helpers. Guess its time for me to stop revising :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HQazi
Yep
My bad! I was thinking it in terms of HIV - because HIV attacks T-Helpers. Guess its time for me to stop revising :tongue:

awww:biggrin: no worries :biggrin: im going to stop too, its been a long day, gonna do some in the morning:biggrin: Good Luck
Reply 432
Original post by C94
Lol same, I was more prepared in Jan then I am now. I really thought I got an A* in Jan, but I also got a C. I realized it was not the content, that prevented me getting the grade, but it was the exam technique.

The examiners want perfect answers, they want us to be specific. I also noticed in mark schemes, they state the obvious, and that also gets you marks. There is not much we can do really.

I completely agree...just dunno how to do it.. I need an A in this but could really do with an A* so i can afford to allow econ to be a B
Reply 433
Original post by Brad0440
Kind of, what I'm doing is going through the specification and checking that I know everything on there. If I don't know it, I'll find past paper questions on that point and go through them, and if I still don't get it, going back to the text book. If you want, I have a grid with all of the specification points on and what past papers they appear in I can upload if you think it will be helpful?

late reply, but YES PLEASE! that would be really helpful!
Reply 434
Original post by sarakosanovic
awww:biggrin: no worries :biggrin: im going to stop too, its been a long day, gonna do some in the morning:biggrin: Good Luck

Same :redface: It has been a long day :frown:
Good luck to you too! Hope you get the grade you want :biggrin:
Reply 435
Original post by C94

Wanna go through some classic answers..and what to put down for each topic so we hit all the marks in the amrk scheme i think that would really help the night before the exam?
Reply 436
anyone have the january13 papers?
can somebody summarise the brine shrimp practical please?
Reply 438
Original post by Sravya
Wanna go through some classic answers..and what to put down for each topic so we hit all the marks in the amrk scheme i think that would really help the night before the exam?

I'll Start:

When one species becomes two species:

1. reference to original population increasing in size and spreading into a wider diversity of {habitats / eq} ;
2. reference to mutations ;
3. leading to diversity in flowering times / eq ;
4. (and) other plant features / eq ;
5. reference to reproductive isolation ;
6. restriction in gene flow / eq ;
7. between extremes of population / eq ;
8. reference to different environmental factors in each region ;
9. each region has different selection pressures / eq ;
10.idea of plants adapted to a region ;
11. reference to survival and breeding ;
12.reference to change in allele frequencies (over time) ;
13.(leads to) differences between gene pools / eq ;
Original post by Selym95
Yeah, thanks! The only thing I'm abit uncertain about is for which circumstances would we talk about the cell mediatiated or the humoral?

Cell mediated would be when you've got infected cells, such as HIV virus etc, and humoral would be for a general invasion by pathogens involving macrophages and B cells as APCs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending