The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stoppy123
Ok IAA works in two ways.

in phototropism on shoots,IAA will move away from the light by diffusion and then cause elongation of cells on the shaded side.

In phototropism in roots, IAA will diffuse down to the shaded side, but as it's in a high concentration, growth will be inhibited, meaning the top side will grow more, bending roots towards the ground.

In geotropism in shoots, IAA will move to the underside of shoots so the cells will elongate and push the shoot away from gravity.

In geotropism in roots, IAA will move to the lower side, but growth will be inhibited, so the root grows downwards.

I understood the part about phototropism in roots and shoots, but in geotropism in roots, i am still confused... what do you mean that growth is inhibited at the lower side? How does it grow downwards?
Reply 3941
Original post by FuddyMucker
Some of them are stretching it to fit them in, and most are from the same units... i think thats pushing it

What unit that content is from is irrelevant. In order to get 3/3 for the breath marks you need to use topics from a range of areas such as bacteria, physiology, genetics etc and the marks for science is not dependant on what units the content comes from at all.
Reply 3942
inb4 an essay on microscopes :cool:
Anybody really annoyed at the whole essay thing? Throughout my uni application I was encouraged to value quality over quantity; depth over breadth, but AQA seem to say "throw as much s**t as you can at this wall and hope some will stick."
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Yep :smile:
stimulus-->receptor----> sensory neurone-----> relay/intermediate neurone in spinal cord------> motor neurone-----> effector----> reponse

The response would be taking away our finger from it without actually thinking.
Why is this reflex arc important in us humans? (1mark)

avoids damage to us, involuntary, same response, allows the brain to coordinate more complex responses, short neurone pathway,
Original post by gingerandice
hopefully it will be more like june12 and actually have bio 5 questions!

I know right! Thats what really pisses me off about AQA, we grind to study the specification and learn all the detail... yet they decide to ask ambiguous/unrelated questions... sort it out AQA :lol:
Original post by _jamie
What unit that content is from is irrelevant. In order to get 3/3 for the breath marks you need to use topics from a range of areas such as bacteria, physiology, genetics etc and the marks for science is not dependant on what units the content comes from at all.

What is physiology - what sort of topics? I'm guessing haemoclobin, things like thermoregulation... what elese?
Original post by Mocking_bird
I know right! Thats what really pisses me off about AQA, we grind to study the specification and learn all the detail... yet they decide to ask ambiguous/unrelated questions... sort it out AQA :lol:

Tell me, did you do Edexcel C3 on Thursday?...
Original post by Scienceisgood
You call it science, I call it pervy scientists just like they were looking at snakes getting it on for unit 2...

loooooooooool !! how was bio 4 and 2?
Oh yeah, guys, is TAQ polymerase and DNA polymerase the same thing?
I have 2 friends who told me the exact same thing except one used TAQ and the other DNA Polymerase?
Original post by _jamie

I thought the breath marks are for including information from at least 3 out of the 4 units... That's what i got told
Reply 3951
Original post by LitGeek94
You can also write about nitrogen cycle/ calcium ions and muscle contraction/ photosynthesis and hydrogen

Theres so many stuff on inorganic ions:

Sodium - pottassium pump in epithelial cells and nerve impulses

Calcium ions in synapses with vesicles/ calcium in muscle contraction activating ATPase and moving tropomyosin head out of myosin binding site on actin.

Nitrate ions and being used by plants

Inorganic phosphate ions in production ATP in respiration

Hydrogen ions both in light independent of photosynthesis and in oxidative phosphorylation

Fe 3+ ions in haemoglobin

H+ ions in chemoreceptors - when respiring a lot, more acidic - H+ detection by chemoreceptors
Original post by gingerandice
loooooooooool !! how was bio 4 and 2?

Bio4 I misread a question - bloody annoying! Although, I did mention 3 things meaning I should have gotton at least 3/6 marks! I thought it said why does bio diversity increase, NOT decrease! Bloody annoying when you misread questions!

Unit 2 - I think was really nice. I knew insects would come into that paper, never had done before...
Reply 3953
Original post by master y
What is physiology - what sort of topics? I'm guessing haemoclobin, things like thermoregulation... what elese?

Homeostasis
Oestrous cycle
Nerve impulse
Muscle contraction
Digestion
Enzymes
etc
Original post by DavidH20
Anybody really annoyed at the whole essay thing? Throughout my uni application I was encouraged to value quality over quantity; depth over breadth, but AQA seem to say "throw as much s**t as you can at this wall and hope some will stick."

loooooooooooooool !!!! one more day and aqa can do one !!
Reply 3955
Original post by Mocking_bird
Is it just me or is June 2011 horrible?

Ii thought every paper was horrible except of June 12, and maybe Jun 10 was doable! Spec and June 11 was disastrous for me!
Reply 3956
Original post by FuddyMucker
I thought the breath marks are for including information from at least 3 out of the 4 units... That's what i got told

On the mark scheme it says if only two areas are covered then award 2 marks, if only one is covered award 1. they usually split the markscheme into three different sections like:

Physiology
Humans
Plants

So you just need to make sure you include a point from each
Reply 3957
how do you talk about phosphate + atp in the ions essay??
Reply 3958
Original post by Shiggy G
Theres so many stuff on inorganic ions:

Sodium - pottassium pump in epithelial cells and nerve impulses

Calcium ions in synapses with vesicles/ calcium in muscle contraction activating ATPase and moving tropomyosin head out of myosin binding site on actin.

Nitrate ions and being used by plants

Inorganic phosphate ions in production ATP in respiration

Hydrogen ions both in light independent of photosynthesis and in oxidative phosphorylation

Fe 3+ ions in haemoglobin

H+ ions in chemoreceptors - when respiring a lot, more acidic - H+ detection by chemoreceptors

Do you have any ideas for points not in the spec?
Reply 3959
Has anyone got a written essay on the importance of ATP?

Latest

Trending

Trending