The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
It really, really does depend on the school. In both my placements I've just worn plain coloured tops/t-shirts with black trousers or skirt and coloured tights. So plain and neat but not really smart.

My current male teaching partner wears plain long sleeve tops and Chinos. Definitely not a suit! I can't imagine getting stick in with young children in a suit (except perhaps at interview) but there are no doubt some schools where you have to.

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is your partner doing primary or secondary? I'm sure the expectation of dressing smart is less so in primary schools. Buy I intend to go with trousers/chinos and shirt with v-neck top.
I'm ready to cry :frown:
Original post by sunfowers01
I'm ready to cry :frown:

OK, you really need to take a holiday.

I know you said you don't get summer holidays where you're working because it's not like a normal school and there are summer courses, but you must be entitled to some time off at some point? Take it, as soon as you possibly can.

There's no point burning yourself out completely and making yourself ill - get some time off ASAP whether by taking holiday leave or going off sick. It sounds to me like you're not in a good way at the moment and might be able to get signed off for a while due to stress.
Reply 2203
Original post by Mr Advice
Is your partner doing primary or secondary? I'm sure the expectation of dressing smart is less so in primary schools. Buy I intend to go with trousers/chinos and shirt with v-neck top.

Primary :smile:

And yes I think it is more casual in general with primary but again it would depend on the school.

xxx
I have officially finished! Can't believe how many years I've wanted to do a PGCE and it's done?!?!?! I'm gobsmacked!!
Original post by StarBabyCat
I have officially finished! Can't believe how many years I've wanted to do a PGCE and it's done?!?!?! I'm gobsmacked!!

Congratulations! Was it everything you expected? What is your next move going to be and what advice would you give people starting a PGCE in September?

I sort of finished today too - have had a facebook message from our course tutor confirming the exam board has finished looking at folders so we have all now officially passed! :smile:

Steveluis - I would say that it was a bit harder than I expected (mostly because I was a bit complacent about my ability to handle the workload beforehand) but parts of it were more enjoyable too. The community of other PGCE students on my course has been amazing, whether for sharing ideas and developing our practice or just having a break, a good moan and several drinks at the weekend.

My advice would be to get organised ASAP when you start your placement and keep on top of as much as you can to avoid having a mound of paperwork to deal with at Christmas. Be aware that it will take ages to plan lessons and make resources, but don't let it take over your whole life - try and work out where you can compromise and when your work is 'good enough' rather than perfect.

Put some time aside each week for a hobby or something that helps you relax and give yourself a bit of time off (Friday night/Saturday is obviously the best time for this as you can always manage it, even if it means working all Sunday). When you get better at handling the workload, try and use the free time well. The past month or so I've been terrible at procrastinating, messing around on my computer and achieving very little, before starting planning my lessons for the following day at around 8pm. I should definitely have taken a real break and read a book or watched TV or something, not half-heartedly worked for hours.

Take on board advice from tutors and colleagues in university and school, but remain criticial - think about which advice you're following just to tick a box and help you get good observation feedback and good report to pass the course, and which you actually believe is the best way to teach and will incorporate in your teaching practice in the long term.

Start applying for jobs when you feel ready, don't apply for something you don't want and don't let it get to you if you miss out on quite a few. I had 8 interviews before I got my job, some people got a job at their very first interview, but we've nearly all got there now.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by myrtille
I sort of finished today too - have had a facebook message from our course tutor confirming the exam board has finished looking at folders so we have all now officially passed! :smile:

Steveluis - I would say that it was a bit harder than I expected (mostly because I was a bit complacent about my ability to handle the workload beforehand) but parts of it were more enjoyable too. The community of other PGCE students on my course has been amazing, whether for sharing ideas and developing our practice or just having a break, a good moan and several drinks at the weekend.

My advice would be to get organised ASAP when you start your placement and keep on top of as much as you can to avoid having a mound of paperwork to deal with at Christmas. Be aware that it will take ages to plan lessons and make resources, but don't let it take over your whole life - try and work out where you can compromise and when your work is 'good enough' rather than perfect.

Put some time aside each week for a hobby or something that helps you relax and give yourself a bit of time off (Friday night/Saturday is obviously the best time for this as you can always manage it, even if it means working all Sunday). When you get better at handling the workload, try and use the free time well. The past month or so I've been terrible at procrastinating, messing around on my computer and achieving very little, before starting planning my lessons for the following day at around 8pm. I should definitely have taken a real break and read a book or watched TV or something, not half-heartedly worked for hours.

Take on board advice from tutors and colleagues in university and school, but remain criticial - think about which advice you're following just to tick a box and help you get good observation feedback and good report to pass the course, and which you actually believe is the best way to teach and will incorporate in your teaching practice in the long term.

Start applying for jobs when you feel ready, don't apply for something you don't want and don't let it get to you if you miss out on quite a few. I had 8 interviews before I got my job, some people got a job at their very first interview, but we've nearly all got there now.

Good luck. :smile:

Lovely advice. I was meant to pos rep you but accidentally touched the neg on my phone so it's gone down as negative rep. I don't think it'll affect your rep much but do forgive me. Sorry.
Reply 2208
Original post by Mr Advice
Lovely advice. I was meant to pos rep you but accidentally touched the neg on my phone so it's gone down as negative rep. I don't think it'll affect your rep much but do forgive me. Sorry.

I've had that happen before, so frustrating!

xxx
Finally got myself a job today - SO HAPPY!!
Original post by flamingoshoes
Finally got myself a job today - SO HAPPY!!

At a school as NQT? Congrats!
Obviously you become more experienced at planning during the PGCE, how realistic is it to be able to plan a few days or even a week in advance?
Original post by Jemmylou134
Obviously you become more experienced at planning during the PGCE, how realistic is it to be able to plan a few days or even a week in advance?

Depends- during PGCE there is the issue of having to know what someone else has done with the class when you're not in full time, or if things don't go right you may have wasted some planning time if you have prepared in detail.

To be honest it's been the same in my nqt year as I share some classes and schemes of work are being written as we go along.

No harm in doing an overview and preparing stuff you know is going to happen, but I wouldn't prepare in detail until you've completed the lesson before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In primary you might plan your maths/literacy/topic for the week but it will probably change, you can't plan too far ahead because you aren't sure whether the children will actually go at that pace. I work in Early years, do the basic weekly plan and take it day-by-day as we operate on a child initiated approach.

But yes, mostly I would say you would do a weekly overview and then the more detailed sessions plans.
Original post by Steveluis10
Congratulations! Was it everything you expected? What is your next move going to be and what advice would you give people starting a PGCE in September?

It was everything I expected and so much more! I'm starting my NQT job in September. My piece of advice would be; if you are doubting your ability don't think you're alone! EVERYONE thinks the same thing!

Everyone is pretty pants at planning at the beginning. That's to be expected! Don't worry you are eased in :smile: you can go at your own pace.
Everyone is pretty pants at planning at the beginning. That's to be expected! Don't worry you are eased in :smile: you can go at your own pace.

Thanks for the advice feel more confident now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2217
Original post by kpwxx
Hmm well I guess my best advice is, don't be too picky, you have to use what evidence you have.

Just gather all that Childs books and work and go through each... Is there evidence of that objective?

It is a tough one... I guess the thing is just think it needs evidence. There may be something you think that child can do but at the end of the day you need evidence of that when you're doing app, so the child may come up as a lower level than you think.

Hopefully someone else on here can be a bit more help than me, as I am an early years person so for half of my course my assessment was entirely based on observations and there was no marking, levels etc, you just had to know your children really well!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again MANY thanks. We're nearly there apparently. She just has 2 more days left at the school that has caused all issues due to no support (I think it is for real as well, she just got bad luck with placement). I sound whiney and I'm not even doing the bloomin course! Good luck with all your work. G
We're all done or nearly done now, 3 days of placement left for me! And then we can all relax (although I'm starting the new job on July 1st!). Well done though to everyone who' made it :smile:
Reply 2219
Original post by robo donkey
We're all done or nearly done now, 3 days of placement left for me! And then we can all relax (although I'm starting the new job on July 1st!). Well done though to everyone who' made it :smile:

I've got 6 days left! But 2 are not part of the final block. My final observation is on Wednesday!!!

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending