The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
I really hope we don't sign Baines.

Sign Thiago, then sort out a Ronaldo 2015 transfer and that's the summer transfers done for United :biggrin:

I think while that seems romantic I think you need one or two more signings to go for the champions league. Obviously retaining the title would be the first aim but really sorting out your problems in europe the past 2 years(group stage and first knockout round isn't good enough) can be solved this season if you got the right signing(not just thiago)
Original post by jam277
I think while that seems romantic I think you need one or two more signings to go for the champions league. Obviously retaining the title would be the first aim but really sorting out your problems in europe the past 2 years(group stage and first knockout round isn't good enough) can be solved this season if you got the right signing(not just thiago)

De Gea
Rafael Evans Vidic Evra
Carrick Jones
Thiago Kagawa
Rooney
RVP

Whilst this formation will not be used, I think it is certainly capable of winning the Champions League.

What positions do you think we need to strengthen (after signing Thiago)?
De Gea
Rafael Evans Vidic Evra
Carrick Jones
Thiago Kagawa
Rooney
RVP

Whilst this formation will not be used, I think it is certainly capable of winning the Champions League.

What positions do you think we need to strengthen (after signing Thiago)?

I still think we need another, more defensive, midfielder and a winger.
Original post by DaveSmith99

I disagree. Kagawa and Rooney work hard in trying to get the ball back. Thiago was raised at Barcelona to pressurise the opposition and he is also brilliant at intercepting. Plus, Phil Jones is a complete unit.

A winger is obviously dependent on the formation/style Moyes chooses to play. Even if he does wish to play with wingers (and not LAM/RAM), I still have faith in Valencia/Young and we need to give Zaha time to grow. A winger would be a luxury buy, it is certainly not even close to a 'must-buy'.
I disagree. Kagawa and Rooney work hard in trying to get the ball back. Thiago was raised at Barcelona to pressurise the opposition and he is also brilliant at intercepting. Plus, Phil Jones is a complete unit.

A winger is obviously dependent on the formation/style Moyes chooses to play. Even if he does wish to play with wingers (and not LAM/RAM), I still have faith in Valencia/Young and we need to give Zaha time to grow. A winger would be a luxury buy, it is certainly not even close to a 'must-buy'.

Phil jones is a unit but he's not good enough in passing the ball imo to dominate opposition. Although I can see why you'd put him there with his performances lst season.

A winger may or may not be needed. I'd say get one just to make sure there's no problems in that avenue. It didn't hurt bayern buying xherdan shaqiri e.g. Thiago could be the missing link though and if jones worked a bit more on his work on the ball you could have your midfield destroyer right there.

Kagawa and Rooney are not proper centre mids, Phil Jones is good in midfield in specific circumstances, but he's a CB and not a midfielder imo. That leaves us with Carrick, Cleverly, Thiago and Giggs and Jones who can do a job there sometimes. Three midfielders is a serious lack of depth, and if anything happens to Carrick its out season over.

A winger is not a 'must-buy'' no, but Young shouldn't be seen as anything more than a squad player and Valencia was horribly out of form for an entire season. Kagawa can play on the left sure, but I'd much prefer seeing him in the middle, I expect to see Welbeck get quite a but of game time on the wing. We could do without signing a winger sure, but it's a weakness so why no address it?
here's what I made shows how much I love thiago

http://i.minus.com/ibePWSSWBW8iJO.gif
Original post by ledleyking123
here's what I made shows how much I love thiago

http://i.minus.com/ibePWSSWBW8iJO.gif

If you're going to steal gifs, at least steal ones without watermarks on :facepalm:

I really wish it were possible to ban people from this thread
:laugh:
Kinell what a rookie mistake
Reply 5711
Original post by DaveSmith99

Man utd still have Darren fletcher who is very much a defensive mid and or normal centre but hasn't been well at all. I do agree that a winger may be helpful if nani decides to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bought him in Fifa career mode too. It comforts me.

What the **** is wrong with my life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Man utd still have Darren fletcher who is very much a defensive mid and or normal centre but hasn't been well at all. I do agree that a winger may be helpful if nani decides to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno if relying on Fletch for next year is a good idea.

His bum still hurts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
I bought him in Fifa career mode too. It comforts me.

What the **** is wrong with my life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So did I buy him also....:colondollar: Tbf, was before the rumours so if we use these omens we're signing, Ronaldo, Bale,Alba, Wilshere, El Sharaawy etc.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheetahs56
So did I buy him also....:colondollar: Tbf, was before the rumours so if we use these omens we're signing, Ronaldo, Bale,Alba, Wilshere, El Sharaawy etc.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always buy Wilshere.

He'll get bored of all that style without substance footy at the gunners in a few years and come to United for trophies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could see that ruining the deal if its a necessity on their part, such a clause being 'forced' by the player (even if slightly understandable) may not please the club.

Can't say i, personally, would let it stop us though. Not a better midfielder we are likely able to get this summer. Pretend like we wont want to give in to his demands, negotiate the clause a little to show you still have power, and then sign the **** out of him
Original post by Tommyjw
Could see that ruining the deal if its a necessity on their part, such a clause being 'forced' by the player (even if slightly understandable) may not please the club.

Can't say i, personally, would let it stop us though. Not a better midfielder we are likely able to get this summer. Pretend like we wont want to give in to his demands, negotiate the clause a little to show you still have power, and then sign the **** out of him

Yeah, the hold up is the only thing bothering me. It's going to be next week until we hear conclusively, but United always get their business done early. And shareholders will want big competitive signings for the business side of things. Ferguson leaving will be ringing alarm bells for the owners.

We'll have good signings made in July.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5719

What's the story behind this?

Latest