The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TritonSails
What's wrong with eating while having 'all that bacteria still in your mouth'?

Exactly. Also, all "what" bacteria? Brushing your teeth doesn't necessarily kill ALL the bacteria in your mouth. I think this imaginary build up of bacteria overnight is nothing to worry about.

I suspect that even after brushing, a mouth will still contain loads of bacteria, it's part of our defence mechanism. It's an illusion to think that somehow brushing them is going to get rid of it.
Bacteriafast is unhealthy food, so I do brush my teeth before!
Reply 122
I rinse my mouth with water before eating breakfast and then brush after eating.

Started this when I first got braces and I've kept the same routine today haha
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile

I brush them before breakfast, I don't enjoy eating unless my teeth are clean! (I usually use mouthwash after breakfast though just to make sure my breath is fresh when I leave the house)
Reply 124
after.
reallt ı didnt think that why ı dont brush my teeth before :smile:
Always always before. Cant stand morning smelll/taste in your mouth. Which is weird considering i always brush before going to bed.
During.
After, the taste of anything otherwise is ruined and with most things eaten i.e. marmite on toast brushing before would be ridiculous.
Before because I usually talk to people whilst eating breakfast. Why would you want others to smell your horrid morning breath?

I rinse my mouth after though
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 129
Usually after I feel like I need to brush them again if I brush them before breakfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never understood the logic behind brushing before. You're just cleaning then and then getting them dirty, what's the point in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
Original post by ShadowWolf21
Well, seeing as I brush my teeth before going to bed, I've satisfied my belief of reducing some bacteria before the morning. But throughout the day, there's always bacteria in your mouth, no matter what you do. So, I brush my teeth after eating any meal. Including breakfast. To do it before eating changes the taste of my food, which isn't preferable. But after eating, and I've brushed my teeth, I have a nice minty freshness.

I suppose everyone's different :smile:

Your enamel is going to disappear before you hit your menopause.
Original post by Bloxorus
I've never understood the logic behind brushing before. You're just cleaning then and then getting them dirty, what's the point in that?

Also to people saying its bad for your teeth to brush after because your brushing away enamel, I've brushed after my whole life and never had any problems with my teeth or a single filling etc so it can't be that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've always brushed my teeth before breakfast
Reply 134
Original post by mangamaan

Bull****. Fluoride certainly has its problems but tooth damage definitely isn't one of them.
Original post by mangamaan

Seeing as I have regular dental checks, so far, my enamel's doing just fine, thanks. I ask each time for checks. And seeing as I brush 3 times a day, it doesn't seem so ridiculous does it? Once more than what is considered normal, as well as those who brush before and after breakfast?

Like I said, I eat after big meals, therefore, breakfast and dinner. Then before bed. Sorry for brushing once more than necessary. I dropped the brushing after every time I eat habit a while ago, but I still brush after dinner.
Original post by tooosh
Bull****. Fluoride certainly has its problems but tooth damage definitely isn't one of them.

I don't see how he came up with that, either. As it was aimed at me, I still find it daft people think I'm weird for brushing one time more than other people do. I'm ridding huge amounts of food to prevent dental problems, not cause them.

And it's not like I'm lathering my mouth with entire tube of toothpaste lol. Just a pea-sized amount, 3 times a day haha. Better start saving for those dentures then!
After, Mint flavoured milk and weetabix stuck in my teeth sounds annoying.
Always brush before breakfast. I don't brush then have breakfast straight after anyway, so no, my food does not taste minty.

For those who are asking whether I would therefore brush my teeth before lunch and before dinner, well do you brush your teeth after every meal too?

I've always been taught that eating, then brushing teeth right after is not good for your teeth, unless you have an hour or more in between eating food and leaving the house. Personally I eat and leave straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by ShadowWolf21
I don't see how he came up with that, either. As it was aimed at me, I still find it daft people think I'm weird for brushing one time more than other people do. I'm ridding huge amounts of food to prevent dental problems, not cause them.

And it's not like I'm lathering my mouth with entire tube of toothpaste lol. Just a pea-sized amount, 3 times a day haha. Better start saving for those dentures then!

Dentists say you should brush a minimum of 2x a day as well. I'm not sure what this is based on or whether it's legit or not but it's ridiculous to laugh at someone for brushing 3x a day.

Brushing straight after eating isn't good according to the NHS, dentists etc. No idea why but it's not just an urban myth or something.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest