The Student Room Group

Sleep hygiene

What do you do to get to sleep quicker?
On school nights my phone goes off 30 mins (parental screen time controls) before my bedtime and then I read for a bit or listen to an audiobook/brown noise to help me get sleepy but it doesn’t always work. I don’t have a tv or anything in my room and my parents are pretty strict on bedtime. Sometimes I just can’t sleep! Any tips?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
How old are you. What time do you go to bed, typically go to sleep, and wake up?
Nearly 15.
I usually go to bed at 9:30 on school nights and get up at 6:45am. On Saturday nights I stay up later (unless I’m tired lol) and have a lay in on Sunday.
It’s not the bedtime routine as such as I have a pretty good one I think? - Bath & teeth etc, chill with a book then sleep. It’s more that I can’t always turn my brain off to sleep when I want to. Thinking about what I have to do homework wise, what lessons I have etc. Brown noise and audio books help sometimes but not always. It’s usually harder if I’ve had footy training that evening which is odd as you’d think it would make me more tired.
Reply 3
Do you drink caffeine - tea, coffee, energy drinks etc.? Do you eat chocolate close to bedtime?
Original post by black tea
Do you drink caffeine - tea, coffee, energy drinks etc.? Do you eat chocolate close to bedtime?

No. I have a cup of tea or hot chocolate with breakfast but I don’t have anything like that after school.
It’s mostly that my brain is still busy thinking about x/y/z rather than i’m not tired if that makes sense? I want to sleep and I’m tired but my brain doesn’t always switch off.
Reply 6
Original post by RandomOneOhOne
It’s mostly that my brain is still busy thinking about x/y/z rather than i’m not tired if that makes sense? I want to sleep and I’m tired but my brain doesn’t always switch off.

Something that some people find helpful is writing down what's going through their head and stopping them from sleeping to deal with in the morning - kind of gives your brain permission to switch off as you are not ignoring what you are worried about, you are just leaving it to deal with at another time.
Reply 7
A decent night's rest requires four components, or "support points," incorporating profundity - reflected in the electrical nature of the rest waves; term - an adequate measure of rest; coherence - continuous rest; and routineness - an example of nodding off and waking simultaneously consistently
Original post by black tea
Something that some people find helpful is writing down what's going through their head and stopping them from sleeping to deal with in the morning - kind of gives your brain permission to switch off as you are not ignoring what you are worried about, you are just leaving it to deal with at another time.

Thanks I’ll give it a try

Quick Reply

Latest