The Student Room Group

Flatmate blocked me for using her water?

Yesterday, there was a pipe burst and the streets in town were flooded. Water supply completely stopped. I had to rush to work and I couldn't go without brushing my teeth and showering. But I had no water at all. My flatmate had two large bags of bottled water in the kitchen.

It was 7 am and I didn't want to disturb her by knocking on her door to ask if I could use her bottled water so I didn't ask and took the bag. I had decided to send her a text that I somehow managed to shower but will bring her a bag of water to compensate it.

However, she texted me at 8 am asking if there was water and when I replied telling her i used the plastic bottled water and how i will bring another bag for her, the messages only had a single tick on whatsapp.
I clicked on her photo and realised she blocked me

I was shocked because this was such an extreme reaction. She didn't even ask why I took it out the reasoning behind it and simply blocked me.

I dont know what to do. Is she right in blocking me and I did wrong ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would be pretty ****ed off too if I was her. Of course you did wrong by taking someone else's stuff without asking... Why didn't you go and buy your own water yesterday if you knew the pipes had burst?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
I would be pretty ****ed off too if I was her. Of course you did wrong by taking someone else's stuff without asking... Why didn't you go and buy your own water yesterday if you knew the pipes had burst?

This happened early morning at 7 am. How will I know the pipe burst. Only when I was walking the streets and saw the flooding then the lady said the pipe burst
Reply 3

Original post by Anonymous
This happened early morning at 7 am. How will I know the pipe burst. Only when I was walking the streets and saw the flooding then the lady said the pipe burst

I already wrote that it happened in the morning at 7 am. Also it was plastic bottled water. I had no idea there was no water until I switched on the tap to brush my teeth and there was no water at all.
Reply 4
i feel like she was definitely overreacting, water is so cheap and you’ve even said you’ll buy it back. did you use all of it or was there some she could use?
Reply 5
Original post by charves14
i feel like she was definitely overreacting, water is so cheap and you’ve even said you’ll buy it back. did you use all of it or was there some she could use?

She has 8 bottles more. I only took it in desperation as I'm also on my period and I really needed to shower with even a little bit of water . I also work today so how could I sit there without brushing my teeth showering etc. It was just desperation and anxiety when I saw no water at all
Reply 6
Bump
Yesterday, there was a pipe burst and the streets in town were flooded. Water supply completely stopped. I had to rush to work and I couldn't go without brushing my teeth and showering. But I had no water at all. My flatmate had two large bags of bottled water in the kitchen.

It was 7 am and I didn't want to disturb her by knocking on her door to ask if I could use her bottled water so I didn't ask and took the bag. I had decided to send her a text that I somehow managed to shower but will bring her a bag of water to compensate it.

However, she texted me at 8 am asking if there was water and when I replied telling her i used the plastic bottled water and how i will bring another bag for her, the messages only had a single tick on whatsapp.

I was shocked because this was such an extreme reaction. She didn't even ask why I took it out the reasoning behind it and simply blocked me.

This was a bit mad. You took her stuff thereby potentially disadvantaging her
Reply 8
Original post by Wired_1800
This was a bit mad. You took her stuff thereby potentially disadvantaging her

She isn't at disadvantage tho because her family lives locally and I have nobody where I can go and take a shower. I didn't ask her as it was 7 am and I didn't want to wake her up and disturb her just to ask if I could use her water.

And knowing her now, she wouldn't agree to give me water so what would I do. Sit at home unwashed and dirty and not go to work?
She isn't at disadvantage tho because her family lives locally and I have nobody where I can go and take a shower. I didn't ask her as it was 7 am and I didn't want to wake her up and disturb her just to ask if I could use her water.

And knowing her now, she wouldn't agree to give me water so what would I do. Sit at home unwashed and dirty and not go to work?

Yeah. You've just stolen something. Sure, the reaction is extreme but justifiable. You really should've just asked...
Reply 10
Original post by InnateImpunity
Yeah. You've just stolen something. Sure, the reaction is extreme but justifiable. You really should've just asked...

I haven't stolen anything. I already wrote it was 7 am and she was still sleeping. And now that she didn't even communicate and straight up blocked up, shows she would have never shared it anyway as previously also she has refused to share basic items with other flamates who also complained about her

You said it happened "yesterday" in your original post
Reply 12
You said it happened "yesterday" in your original post

Yesterday morning at 7 am. At night it was fine. So this is about yesterday not today. I'm literally living in a friend's house since last night because of the water issue
I haven't stolen anything. I already wrote it was 7 am and she was still sleeping. And now that she didn't even communicate and straight up blocked up, shows she would have never shared it anyway as previously also she has refused to share basic items with other flamates who also complained about her

I'm pretty sure taking someone else's stuff is the definition of stealing so yes, you did.

Is she overacting? Yes. Was it wrong of you to take her stuff, regardless of what it was, without asking? Also yes.
Reply 14
I'm pretty sure taking someone else's stuff is the definition of stealing so yes, you did.

Is she overacting? Yes. Was it wrong of you to take her stuff, regardless of what it was, without asking? Also yes.

It's water. Not a possession and she keeps it in the kitchen where other flatmates also take each others bottled water as not everyone in the house buys bottled water.
Shes the only one who refuses to give anything to anyone and if I woke her up and asked her if I could use her water to shower, she wouldn't agree based on how she didnt even communicate and straightaway blocked

Even my previous flatmate said that when she used her knife to cut an onion because she had no knife and this flatmate wasn't home nor she had her number, she came knocking on the door with a hostile demeanor demanding why she used her knife.
It's water. Not a possession and she keeps it in the kitchen where other flatmates also take each others bottled water as not everyone in the house buys bottled water.
Shes the only one who refuses to give anything to anyone and if I woke her up and asked her if I could use her water to shower, she wouldn't agree based on how she didnt even communicate and straightaway blocked

Even my previous flatmate said that when she used her knife to cut an onion because she had no knife and this flatmate wasn't home nor she had her number, she came knocking on the door with a hostile demeanor demanding why she used her knife.

Theft is theft, that's literally what you've done. It doesn't matter if it was a single coin, it's not yours. And if you know how hostile she is with others taking her stuff, why on earth would you do it?

hi hunni

although it was wrong to take her stuff i understand your desperation. however, some people are very particular with there belongings and so it would of been better to wake her up or at least leave a note

moving forward, replace the water and maybe get her some chocolates n explain about the period etc im sure she will understand
Reply 17
Original post by InnateImpunity
Theft is theft, that's literally what you've done. It doesn't matter if it was a single coin, it's not yours. And if you know how hostile she is with others taking her stuff, why on earth would you do it?

I had to go yo work and was on my period. I had to shower and brush my teeth and I had no water except my small bottle! I was desperate to shower because I have heavy periods and I couldn't go to work smelly and disgusting
Reply 18
Original post by nerdyjamaican
hi hunni

although it was wrong to take her stuff i understand your desperation. however, some people are very particular with there belongings and so it would of been better to wake her up or at least leave a note

moving forward, replace the water and maybe get her some chocolates n explain about the period etc im sure she will understand

I would have explained it and was texting her that I took the water but will get a bag for her as replacement but she had already blocked me
I would have explained it and was texting her that I took the water but will get a bag for her as replacement but she had already blocked me

your asking for advice and thats what has been given

you need to take accountability. she is your flatmate not friend and from what you have said she doesnt like people touching her things so just stock up on water or do uber eats n get some delivered but dont touch anything of hers again end of!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending