The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Since many of youse have or are just about to finish the year.. how did youse find it in terms of the workload ?

I'm starting it in August, and I'm so scared cause I've heard so many horror stories about the workload and about many people dropping out cause they can't handle the workload? Is it really as bad as they say it is?
Original post by -FireFlies-
Since many of youse have or are just about to finish the year.. how did youse find it in terms of the workload ?

I'm starting it in August, and I'm so scared cause I've heard so many horror stories about the workload and about many people dropping out cause they can't handle the workload? Is it really as bad as they say it is?

It is if you don't prepare for it.

If you're prepared to work solidly for a year, not have any spare time to see friends or family and towards the end literally have to skip sleeping to get your work done, you'll be alright. If not, you won't make it haha. Even the most prepared still find it hard though, so when you're struggling through next year just rest assured that you're not alone!

Hi,

It's pretty bad, but do-able - we've made it. :smile:

The bits in uni are a nice break - not too much work to do in evenings/at weekends.

The workload can feel unmanageable, but it can be done. I didn't lose much sleep either - most nights I was in bed by 11pm and there were only a couple in the year where I was up working 'til after midnight. I normally got up around 6 because I like to wake up gradually with a cup of tea and my laptop, rather than rushing. I got to school around 8am to give me a bit of time to photocopy and just mentally prepare myself for the day.

A lot of the time it's a case of just reminding yourself that you need to get something done so you have a lesson for tomorrow, but you also need to eat and sleep. Sometimes that meant a rushed lesson plan that wasn't great, but all teachers have lessons like that sometimes and there's no point turning up with a brilliant lesson plan and resources but so exhausted you can't teach. Be realistic about what you can do in the time available.

Make sure you take some time to do something other than work - whatever keeps you sane. Personally I took Friday evenings off to spend time with my boyfriend, have dinner, and just relax at home mostly, Saturday afternoons off to pursue my hobby, and Saturday evenings for more relaxing or seeing friends. But I worked every weeknight, Saturday morning and all day Sunday.

If you really want to do it, and make sure you give yourself some free time including knowing when it's time to call it a day and go to bed, not obsess over every detail of a lesson plan, you'll be fine. :smile:

It depends on what your own background or experience is. I came from working in industry, where a 60 hour working week is normal during busy periods, so I was used to long hours. What I wasn't used to was sustaining it for such long periods.

The thing you have to keep focused on, is that if you put in the work this year with making resources and ppts etc, then when your NQT year rolls around, you will already be saving loads of time because when you re-teach certain topics all your resources will be waiting for you.

Basically, its nothing to worry about, any graduate level entry job will have you working long hours within the first 2 to 3 years, teaching is no different. Keep your eye on your ultimate goal, the PGCE year will fly by.
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
It is if you don't prepare for it.

If you're prepared to work solidly for a year, not have any spare time to see friends or family and towards the end literally have to skip sleeping to get your work done, you'll be alright. If not, you won't make it haha. Even the most prepared still find it hard though, so when you're struggling through next year just rest assured that you're not alone!

I am prepared to go for it :biggrin:.. Yeah I've heard that you barely have any time to yourselves :/.. Ach well, it's less than a year, I'll just need to battle though it!

Original post by myrtille
Hi,

It's pretty bad, but do-able - we've made it. :smile:

The bits in uni are a nice break - not too much work to do in evenings/at weekends.

The workload can feel unmanageable, but it can be done. I didn't lose much sleep either - most nights I was in bed by 11pm and there were only a couple in the year where I was up working 'til after midnight. I normally got up around 6 because I like to wake up gradually with a cup of tea and my laptop, rather than rushing. I got to school around 8am to give me a bit of time to photocopy and just mentally prepare myself for the day.

A lot of the time it's a case of just reminding yourself that you need to get something done so you have a lesson for tomorrow, but you also need to eat and sleep. Sometimes that meant a rushed lesson plan that wasn't great, but all teachers have lessons like that sometimes and there's no point turning up with a brilliant lesson plan and resources but so exhausted you can't teach. Be realistic about what you can do in the time available.

Make sure you take some time to do something other than work - whatever keeps you sane. Personally I took Friday evenings off to spend time with my boyfriend, have dinner, and just relax at home mostly, Saturday afternoons off to pursue my hobby, and Saturday evenings for more relaxing or seeing friends. But I worked every weeknight, Saturday morning and all day Sunday.

If you really want to do it, and make sure you give yourself some free time including knowing when it's time to call it a day and go to bed, not obsess over every detail of a lesson plan, you'll be fine. :smile:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply :h: I don't really mind the not sleeping part. The past year, I was usually up till 1/2am and up at 6/7am for uni, wasn't too bad really, I can survive on little sleep.. just worried about having so little sleep and so much work to do at the same time!

I need to organise myself.. I'm absolutely rubbish at organising myself! I'm a very last minute person, always leaving assignments to the very last minute, which probably isn't a good idea anymore!

Thanks for the tips :h:

Original post by smartarse1983
It depends on what your own background or experience is. I came from working in industry, where a 60 hour working week is normal during busy periods, so I was used to long hours. What I wasn't used to was sustaining it for such long periods.

The thing you have to keep focused on, is that if you put in the work this year with making resources and ppts etc, then when your NQT year rolls around, you will already be saving loads of time because when you re-teach certain topics all your resources will be waiting for you.

Basically, its nothing to worry about, any graduate level entry job will have you working long hours within the first 2 to 3 years, teaching is no different. Keep your eye on your ultimate goal, the PGCE year will fly by.

I'm going straight from uni to the PGCE. My course meant I was usually in 9-5 most days and then doing lab reports etc at night, so I'm used to the long nights.. just dreading the amount of work everyone keeps telling me about!

Yeah I see your point. I'll just need to keep myself focused, and organised!

Thanks for the tips :h:
Can I ask some current PGCE'ers, I know that the whole year is manic and crazy but do you think going on a holiday during the Easter break is doable or would I be totally crazy to do that?
Reply 2246
Original post by bethanyrae
Can I ask some current PGCE'ers, I know that the whole year is manic and crazy but do you think going on a holiday during the Easter break is doable or would I be totally crazy to do that?

It purely depends how organised you are. You would probably have to get all of your planning done for the week after Easter during the week before Easter. I couldn't have done it as I couldn't physically fit all the work in due to having a small child and family. Plus I was so slow at planning!
Reply 2247

As said already it really does depend on:

Your other commitments
Your course
Your organisation skills/motivation
How much of Easter the holiday would take up

I had an assignment due in just after easter, but I was in between placements so didn't have any planning, just catching up on various paperwork I'd missed so far. So I managed to take some days off over Easter around doing the assignment, and I think I could have managed a holiday if I'd wanted instead.

However, I think a lot of PGCEs are in the middle of placements at that point and many people really need to time to plan so they aren't having no life or sleep during the summer term!

It's not crazy to take time off, it really does help to recharge your batteries and over Easter you are less likely to be ill so can probably enjoy it. But it's hard to say about Easter specifically without knowing your course structure in more detail.

xxx
Reply 2248
Original post by kpwxx
As said already it really does depend on:

Your other commitments
Your course
Your organisation skills/motivation
How much of Easter the holiday would take up

I had an assignment due in just after easter, but I was in between placements so didn't have any planning, just catching up on various paperwork I'd missed so far. So I managed to take some days off over Easter around doing the assignment, and I think I could have managed a holiday if I'd wanted instead.

However, I think a lot of PGCEs are in the middle of placements at that point and many people really need to time to plan so they aren't having no life or sleep during the summer term!

It's not crazy to take time off, it really does help to recharge your batteries and over Easter you are less likely to be ill so can probably enjoy it. But it's hard to say about Easter specifically without knowing your course structure in more detail.

xxx

I asked one of my lectures the same question. She said it wouldn't be advisable for more than a week, but a few days could be beneficial. I suppose you may have to see how you get on during the autumn term.

:0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2249

Original post by Imelda
I asked one of my lectures the same question. She said it wouldn't be advisable for more than a week, but a few days could be beneficial. I suppose you may have to see how you get on during the autumn term.

:0)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Misquote! :smile:

xxx

Easter hols for me, were mid-placement, but, my Essay deadline for Uni was the day before the holidays started ( cue last week of term being INSANE), which meant that for easter I was only left with planning to do for the following term.

I think I took 4 full days off, so I'd say a long weekend is definately possible.

However, one REALLY important thing to remember is jobs. The city I did my PGCE in was surrounded by 3 different counties ( including the city LEA) and the Easter holidays this year didn't match. Some folks got the 2 weeks after, some folks got a week before and a week after. It meant that a few people got called for job interviews during their easter holidays, because the schools they were applying to were already back at school/hadn't broken up yet.
Reply 2251

I took a weeks holiday in spain the second week of easter and it was fine, it did mean i had to get a weeks planning and an essay done a week earlier but i deffinately felt the benefit afterwards. All is fine socially as long as you make time for everything you know needs to be done.
Reply 2252
Personally, I had a bit of a wobble January time but got through it. As has been mentioned, planning is the key and my placement was split between myself and another guy on the course, we got on well and supported each other during low points.

For me, I misjudged how hard it would be, my class cohort ranged from people who thought it was relatively easy to people who became ill from stress.

You can and will get through it though if you keep plugging away.
Having got through my PGCE I feel I should share a few words... which may turn into a 5000 word assignment type post if I don't watch out!

Ok so the past year has been one of the most stressful years of my life but in so many ways one of the best.

Ill give a quick overview of my course- I did secondary Maths. My first placement was 9 weeks ish and then I had an xmas break whereby assignment 1 needed to be handed in. Then I had a week in a primary school and assignment 2 needed to be in by feb. My second placement was longer and im not entirely sure how long- between 15 and 20 weeks including holidays and then assignment 3 needed to be in around a week after placement finished. So that's what my course was about but my goodness the year did not run that smoothly!

My first placement school was outstanding- I thought Brilliant! The school had an amazing reputation and was preferred to the local private schools. Boy was I wrong to be excited by it. The first few weeks were lovely. I got on ok with my mentor and the department but clashed majorly with my professional tutor- who was also a maths teacher. I was thrown in head first. Had to teach 12 hours a week which wasn't too bad when I look back but I was teaching 12 hours within about 3 weeks of starting my placement and I had no real idea how to plan lessons and wasn't getting the best advice from the department. THEY JUST EXPECTED ME TO BE AN EXPERT! But with clashes left right and centre and barely scraping a pass in this school I was glad for the 9 weeks to be over. I found myself crying every morning before the day started and then leaving school and crying on the drive home. I was working all the hours God sent to get my lessons planned and at no point was what I was doing good enough and I wasn't getting any advice on how to improve. Like I said, barely passed this placement. But after my uni visit I had around 3 weeks left and I was counting down the days and it very quickly came to an end and I had my life back. I need to add here that I had a special friend who would take me out for dinner when things got too bad just to take my mind off of things and as a pgce student he knew the pressures himself. He was like an angel at times.

There was then a very nice xmas break. Trust me it was beautiful I got to see all my family and spend time with friends who I started to neglect throughout the year. and then the dreaded news that I was starting pacement B in a few weeks. Yep the idea of it terrified me. I almost quit the programme fearing that if I couldn't cope in an outstanding school, what was I going to do in a good school?

Anyway, I went along to the school and it was a huge relief. I loved this school so much. I didn't once cry. I had a few bad lesson but they ironed out. My new mentor was lovely as was my professional tutor. The NQT in the department was a lovely young man and HOT to go with it and all I can say is they were very supportive. I went from satisfactory at a barely pass minimum level in placement A to very quickly being graded good with outstanding features. My professional tutor said to me 'school A didn't really teach you anything' and I kicked it up a gear from then. My lessons were planned before I left school, I got on really well with everyone in the department and everyone offered support continually. I am so grateful to them all. And even though the work load was bumped up to 15 lessons a week I felt I was doing less because I wasn't doing it alone. I faced so many new challenges but I enjoyed every minute of it.

I think the hardest part of the second placement was job hunting. I applied to around 8 jobs and had interviews for 7 of them. The rejection was hard because I was always second choice out of 3/4 people but I now have a job in a lovely school that is similar to my placement B school.

But, new challenges lie ahead. I have to go from 15 lessons to 19 lessons a week. 50 min lessons to 60 min lessons and a whole load of new names and faces to learn.

Its a little daunting having received set lists, scheme of works and various other documents which I need to sort out for September. Currently working on seating plans and then going to start my planning. Im full of hope atm but I will report back around xmas to fill you in on the NQT year. Im sure it will be a challenge but im hoping that having my own room I will be able to work hard during my frees.

Good luck to anyone starting PGCE in September. My biggest bit of advice will be to make as many mistakes as possible during placement A. Try things out and see if they work for you because your not there for too long. Then learn from those mistakes in school B. Keep up to date with paperwork because you don't want to be planning 5 lessons and filling out 20 evaluations for your uni tutor the next day. And, give your self a little bit of free time. Don't work continually. I found that having Saturdays off was quite nice.
How does the primary teaching work? It's not like secondary school where you're given a set number of hours for a week, or is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a primary teacher you do get PPA (planning, preparation and assessment) time; as an NQT you get a day's worth, as a 'fully qualified' teacher you have an afternoon.
Original post by Mr Advice
How does the primary teaching work? It's not like secondary school where you're given a set number of hours for a week, or is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You teach 90% of the timetable, as StarBabyCat says, you get 10% PPA time, which usually works out as an afternoon. As an NQT you get another 10% for NQT time, although this can be used for NQT conferences, training and meeting your NQT mentor so it won't necessarily mean you will have a whole day off timetable per week as it doesn't have to be a weekly allowance. It depends on your school and how they work it! I know this because I was sent on endless NQT forums which were all basically the same thing! :tongue:
Original post by StarBabyCat
As a primary teacher you do get PPA (planning, preparation and assessment) time; as an NQT you get a day's worth, as a 'fully qualified' teacher you have an afternoon.

I was talking specifically during the PGCE. How many hours of the day do you teach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Advice
I was talking specifically during the PGCE. How many hours of the day do you teach?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on your course.

Generally speaking, a morning or afternoon is 10%, a full day is 20% so on earlier placements I had to start at 20% teaching (which might just be all the English lessons that week or something, so an hour a day ish) with 20% PPA, and the other 60% was for observing and helping out (almost like a TA). It moves up through the placement and ended on 60% teaching, 20% PPA and 20% observation etc.

When it gets to your final placement, you start at a higher amount, so first week I was teaching 60%, then about 3 weeks later it upped to 70% and for the last few weeks we were teaching 80% cos that's what we'll be doing as NQTs next year.

It varies from uni to uni though. I was on final placement with someone from a different uni and she only went up to 60% at the end, whereas I was on 80%.
Original post by flamingoshoes
It depends on your course.

Generally speaking, a morning or afternoon is 10%, a full day is 20% so on earlier placements I had to start at 20% teaching (which might just be all the English lessons that week or something, so an hour a day ish) with 20% PPA, and the other 60% was for observing and helping out (almost like a TA). It moves up through the placement and ended on 60% teaching, 20% PPA and 20% observation etc.

When it gets to your final placement, you start at a higher amount, so first week I was teaching 60%, then about 3 weeks later it upped to 70% and for the last few weeks we were teaching 80% cos that's what we'll be doing as NQTs next year.

It varies from uni to uni though. I was on final placement with someone from a different uni and she only went up to 60% at the end, whereas I was on 80%.

So towards the end of your second placement you'll be the class teacher more or less - that should be interesting.

Another thing I was gonna ask is how important is neat handwriting? I work with kids and regularly get told that they can't read my handwriting :tongue: I try to improve it but it's permanent I think :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending