The Student Room Group

Criminal Law: Theft

In criminal law (theft), does anyone know of any case(s) which specifically deal with the appropriation of property and the later return of the same. I believe you would certainly include rights of owner etc. (DPP v Gomez). However, I’m still wondering if there is anything more specific.
Would that not be an intention to permanently deprive issue?
Reply 2
Are you asking that if someone returns the chattels, would they still be guilty of theft?
Reply 3
It would depend on the facts - it might be an intention to deprive, or it might be an MR dishonesty issue.
Reply 4
Original post by jedi hamster
In criminal law (theft), does anyone know of any case(s) which specifically deal with the appropriation of property and the later return of the same. I believe you would certainly include rights of owner etc. (DPP v Gomez). However, I’m still wondering if there is anything more specific.

R v Feely and R v Lloyd will be of interest to you.
I don't know UK law per see but NZ law is taken from UK common law. It would be an issue with mens rea as was their an intention to permanently deprive, that also includes not returning the property in a state that is different to the original R v Russel (NZ case i think)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending