The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by yl95
It was trickier than usual but not diabolical. The lift question came up on the Pearson textbook, so did SUVAT and moments was long winded but doable. It was actually straightforward but the wordiness probably threw people off. I got the
first part of the moments question right after two attempts, then messed up the last part annoyingly. Simultaneous equations...

I'm just worried because Arsey is normally right. He predicted a 64 for an A.

Unfortunately Arsey has never predicted a grade boundary correctly (besides the odd 1/2) and nobody in his center sat this paper so he can't really get a real feel for it.
Original post by yl95
Well, the point of learning maths is not to learn how to do questions by memorising them and books are a very good resource for practising for exams.

We shouldn't expect standard questions though. The whole point of an exam is to differentiate pupils according to their ability - what IS the problem is the way the education system has led to pupils learning things by rote memorisation hence they panic when they see something they've never come across before. It should have been like the IB where questions rarely are recycled. It's not entirely the students' fault. I panicked when I saw C3 Q3a) because I couldn't do it except for using the compound angle formula whereas all the other papers were easy - I was expecting 95+ in the paper.
I do hope it's 62-63 for an A because I want at least 86 on this one.

Well, if you read my post again, I only pointed out that the question wasn't "standard", which would affect the grade boundaries set by the exam board.
Regarding your point, yes, it is a good move for edexcel to throw in questions coated in different contexts or scenarios, such as some of the questions included in C3. If this continues for future years, which is inevitable, I am sure that grade boundaries will be lowered accordingly.
Reply 442
Original post by Kurraiyo
Do you guys really think the grade boundaries will go below 60 for an A? I mean sure a lot of people complained about how unusual/tough the paper was, but that doesn't mean they screwed it up. (really not trying to burst any bubbles, I personally am hoping for low grade boundaries as well)

Doubt it. M1 boundaries are very consistent. I reckon low 60s. 60 - 63 for an A I reckon. That means I haven't got an A, but hey, I did well on C1 and C2
Original post by Robbie242
I agree, If I sat Jan13 (before it was shown of course) that would be diabolical for me for sure. It did and I took the wrong components after getting part a) correct. Yeah exactly, and yes it was, but so much was happening at once most candidates brain froze, 3 things you don't want to hear, moving child, non uniform tilting about a point (that varies), usually a moment question includes one component / area of moments, this one went all out. tbh all my school flopped it and there are lots of schools like my school so despite some people claiming it was easy, the overwhelming majority says it wasn't which is why I think 59/60 / 75 is a justified mark

I'm glad I practised M1 a lot because I sucked A LOT before Christmas. I spent the Christmas holidays pretty much learning M1 from scratch again. I probably got anywhere from 63-66 on this paper.
I guess the FM students at my school aren't a great representation of the general opinion held by students who sat it in hindsight.
If the grade boundary WAS 59/60, I'd be ECSTATIC. Very, very ecstatic.
Original post by Loiks94
Unfortunately Arsey has never predicted a grade boundary correctly (besides the odd 1/2) and nobody in his center sat this paper so he can't really get a real feel for it.

He normally has a margin of error of up to 2, though. Do you know why no one sat it in his centre?
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Well, if you read my post again, I only pointed out that the question wasn't "standard", which would affect the grade boundaries set by the exam board.
Regarding your point, yes, it is a good move for edexcel to throw in questions coated in different contexts or scenarios, such as some of the questions included in C3. If this continues for future years, which is inevitable, I am sure that grade boundaries will be lowered accordingly.

Sorry, I was going to fix my post but I couldn't be bothered. ;l I agree. Your point is completely valid.
Reply 445
Original post by yl95
I'm glad I practised M1 a lot because I sucked A LOT before Christmas. I spent the Christmas holidays pretty much learning M1 from scratch again. I probably got anywhere from 63-66 on this paper.
I guess the FM students at my school aren't a great representation of the general opinion held by students who sat it in hindsight.

He normally has a margin of error of up to 2, though. Do you know why no one sat it in his centre?

He said that everyone in the center sat it in January and only 1 person had to retake and so sat this exam. Usually an error of 2 with all the feedback from his students etc but as a teacher of course he will find it all easy..
Reply 446
Original post by yl95

Ahah I basically taught all physics I ever know from scratch (got a C at foundation GCSE hehe) all the way up till may, it was my most nerve-racking exam though. I've got similar estimates for my marks, 63-65 for me. Exactly, I'm an FM student but that still doesn't represent the overall majority who do far less mass on a day to day basis.
Same, I need as high ums as possible for Cambridge, its my only mechanics I have to show them :eek:
Original post by Loiks94
He said that everyone in the center sat it in January and only 1 person had to retake and so sat this exam. Usually an error of 2 with all the feedback from his students etc but as a teacher of course he will find it all easy..

Oh, I see. Fair point.

Ahah I basically taught all physics I ever know from scratch (got a C at foundation GCSE hehe) all the way up till may, it was my most nerve-racking exam though. I've got similar estimates for my marks, 63-65 for me. Exactly, I'm an FM student but that still doesn't represent the overall majority who do far less mass on a day to day basis.
Same, I need as high ums as possible for Cambridge, its my only mechanics I have to show them :eek:

I was happy after C1 then I came out thinking M1 went greatly until I realised my silly mistakes. I flopped M2 (I'm talking in the 70s). -_- S1: 65-66, cores were mainly good except C3. Overall, not great. Not applying to Camb but do need it for UCL. Grrr.
Apart from the moments question everything else was standard, although something similar did come up once ​before in June 2001 according to Arsey.
Reply 449
Original post by Liquid Gold.
Apart from the moments question everything else was standard, although something similar did come up once ​before in June 2001 according to Arsey.

If it came up in 2001 you can't exactly call it standard! Also wasn't that about the lift question? And who the hell goes back to 2001 in party papers?? Who has the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 450
I wouldnt say it was standard. Im not the usual hardcore reviser that does all the past papers although I do want to adopt this approach. I simply did a few past papers up to june 2008 from jan 2006 and I found it quite hard. I was getting good marks in my mocks and in my mock exam did pretty well aswell. This exam was hard.

I hope the boundaries are very very low.

*From now on though I'm gonna make sure I do all the past papers and solomon papers. Fully eqip myself for no excuses*
Original post by adi19956
If it came up in 2001 you can't exactly call it standard! Also wasn't that about the lift question? And who the hell goes back to 2001 in party papers?? Who has the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not calling moments standard, lift question was in June 09 and similar in the textbook
Reply 452
Original post by Liquid Gold.
I'm not calling moments standard, lift question was in June 09 and similar in the textbook

And the June 09 paper had ridiculous boundaries. I never did that one though so I have no idea how hard it was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adi19956
And the June 09 paper had ridiculous boundaries. I never did that one though so I have no idea how hard it was

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh but if the questions have been asked before recently it won't go badly down as it did the first time
Reply 454
I wish I did all the past papers. worse decision I have ever made :frown:
Original post by AhmedDavid
I wish I did all the past papers. worse decision I have ever made :frown:

Dude :console:
I'm sorry but what? I did all the M1 edexcel book questions, I did all the solomon papers, I did all the past papers, I did an additional CGP book for M1 edexcel, the thing I didn't do however was because I ran out of time up to the exam was do papers pre 2008, and how can they expect you to do pre 2008 papers and set questions on PRE 2008 topics on a 2008+ syllabus.

I don't think you realise how inconsistent this paragraph is.

The M and S modules haven't changed since 2000, so the papers from 2001 onwards were set on the same specification as the current ones.

The Solomon papers were written pre-2001 when there were no papers for the current spec. It therefore seems a bit illogical to do them and yet say that there is no point in doing pre 2008 papers.

I've said it before (and no doubt I'll say it again), M1 questions from the early 2000s have been recycled in recent papers, so they are worth looking at.
Reply 457
Original post by tiny hobbit
I don't think you realise how inconsistent this paragraph is.

The M and S modules haven't changed since 2000, so the papers from 2001 onwards were set on the same specification as the current ones.

The Solomon papers were written pre-2001 when there were no papers for the current spec. It therefore seems a bit illogical to do them and yet say that there is no point in doing pre 2008 papers.

I've said it before (and no doubt I'll say it again), M1 questions from the early 2000s have been recycled in recent papers, so they are worth looking at.

ikr but really how can you fit ALL the papers in when you have like 8 exams? Of course it was my mistake
Reply 458
ikr but really how can you fit ALL the papers in when you have like 8 exams? Of course it was my mistake

I don't think anyone can. Hopefully the boundaries will reflect that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
Here are both the UK and Int mark schemes, enjoy

Thank You very much for this, you have truly helped a lot of people. If it is not too much to ask, and if you have access to them, could you also post the maths examiners reports here, if it is not too much to ask.

Thank You. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending