The Student Room Group

Will i make no friends in uni if i dont drink alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarathellama
I'm 16 and i've never drunk alcohol just cause its not really my thing, my grandad was an alcoholic and thats just put me off.
But now im worried that because of my personal decision i won't make any friends at uni, im fine with clubbing etc. but i just dont want to binge drink :frown:

I totally understand your reasoning. I've tried a couple of drinks - both of which are VILE but whilst I won't say all alcohol is bad, it is EXTREMELY RARE I do, in fact I've only ever drank twice and I found the taste of both so unenjoyable I couldn't make it through a pint. Whilst Guinness I nearly had a pint of, Carlsberg I decided in a matter of like 2 sips. People accept my decision at university, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you. I have explained I do have a medical condition (diabetes) so it does sway their understanding slightly more, but remember many people choose not to drink for other reasons. Some may not like the taste, others might be banned (religion). Everyone should respect each other's relationship with alcohol. Oh and trust me some of the best nights you have out are the ones without alcohol. At least you can have a laugh at the stupid things that can be done when others have had a drink! ... and then maybe remind them a day or so later hahaha
Reply 21
I'm 16 and i've never drunk alcohol just cause its not really my thing, my grandad was an alcoholic and thats just put me off.
But now im worried that because of my personal decision i won't make any friends at uni, im fine with clubbing etc. but i just dont want to binge drink :frown:

Please be very careful with this - you will make lots of friends without having to drink. AVOID PPL WHO PRESSURE YOU INTO DRINKING like the plague. Drinking alcohol can lead to alcoholism, liver cirrhosis (scarring of the liver), and death if not handled properly.

You should drink when you are good and ready, not binge drinking and getting drunk.

DON'T disclose the fact you don't drink alot to ppl, as they may try to pressure you. Simply don't talk about and politely decline if you are asked if you'd like to drink.
Original post by Fmacca
Please be very careful with this - you will make lots of friends without having to drink. AVOID PPL WHO PRESSURE YOU INTO DRINKING like the plague. Drinking alcohol can lead to alcoholism, liver cirrhosis (scarring of the liver), and death if not handled properly.

You should drink when you are good and ready, not binge drinking and getting drunk.

DON'T disclose the fact you don't drink alot to ppl, as they may try to pressure you. Simply don't talk about and politely decline if you are asked if you'd like to drink.

Crossing busy roads can lead to internal bleeding if not handled properly. Getting on the Tube can result in death if you are pushed into the path of an oncoming train.

Yes, avoid people that pressure you to drink, because you don't need to explain your own preferences. But don't seek arbitrary put-downs on those that do drink for the sake of your own comfort.
Reply 23
Original post by rockrunride
Crossing busy roads can lead to internal bleeding if not handled properly. Getting on the Tube can result in death if you are pushed into the path of an oncoming train.

Yes, avoid people that pressure you to drink, because you don't need to explain your own preferences. But don't seek arbitrary put-downs on those that do drink for the sake of your own comfort.

"Friends" may initiate drug/alcohol consumption, but they won't facilitate your habit, nor will they be around if you become addicted.

Drinking should be your choice, and yours alone. The fact you don't want to drink at this age shows your head is in the right place. GETTING GOOD GRADES, will help you more than mastering the ability to tell the difference between lagers in a blind taste test.
Original post by Fmacca
"Friends" may initiate drug/alcohol consumption, but they won't facilitate your habit, nor will they be around if you become addicted.

Drinking should be your choice, and yours alone. The fact you don't want to drink at this age shows your head is in the right place. GETTING GOOD GRADES, will help you more than mastering the ability to tell the difference between lagers in a blind taste test.

Why must alcohol consumption necessarily lead to alcoholism? I started to drink at 20 out of cultural curiosity, and being in an environment with friends that enjoyed drinking. As did my father, who is now in his mid-fifties and definitely not an alcoholic.

The fact that you don't want to drink at this age shows nothing more or less than a preference for certain things. No more significant than a preference for clothes or computers.

And even if I did want to be able to tell Carlsberg from Carling with a blindfold on, who is anyone to pass judgement on that more than say, someone who could identify a dog breed from their bark alone?

I agree though that drinking (or going teetotal) should be your choice. A choice that absolutely does not have to be justified.
(edited 10 years ago)
As a lifetime non-drinker (I'm allergic and very old) I can assure you that if anything, it will work in your favour. I was lucky enough to have a car as a student andI therefore got asked to a LOT of parties because I was a safe and reliable form of transport who would make sure people got home ok! Even if you don't have a car, there's a lot to be said for having one member of the group who can still make rational decisions in times of crisis. I have never needed alcohol to make an idiot of myself in public, either, so I don't think I stood out.... Don't be pressurised. If it's not for you, it's not for you and any 'friend' who dumps you on those grounds is not a person worthy of your time.
Why do you need to drink to make friends? What on earth has the world come to?
Of course you'll still make friends!
Original post by Gingers6
I'm sure that in time you may find yourself having an odd drink while out socially. There are plenty of low content drinks and mixers that may appeal. There is no law in destroying your liver while at university and my tutor (who is trained in fitness) is currently advising that if you want to drink you should break up your drinks throughout an evening (alcoholic, non alcoholic, non alcoholic, alcoholic) or disguising drinks (starting with a vodka and coke and then having 2 cokes).

However you have a very personal reason for being hesitant to drink and any 'friend' who mocks this or pressures you is really no friend at all.

This only applies to girls, men can't really go round drinking vodka and cokes can they >_>
Reply 29
At 16 you still have so much time to change your decision anyway, so really it isn't worth thinking about at the moment. A more helpful answer, however, is that really most people won't care whether you drink or not at university. There may be a couple of jokes, and you will miss out on a few funny stories, but other than that you'll still be able to make friends just like everyone else.

Original post by Mycroft Holmes
This only applies to girls, men can't really go round drinking vodka and cokes can they >_>

I drink Vodka and Cokes...

Hiya, I'm about the same age as you and don't drink/ don't plan on drinking. I've sort of had the same concerns as you, but don't worry.
When I went on holidays last year I met lots of people, all of whom would drink, yet I just took Coke! :tongue:
Nowadays, I have lots of friends who don't drink who are my age and aren't party people, so don't worry about it, it isn't a problem, and as they say - "birds of a feather flock together!" :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31

hey, I am exactly the same way, both my grandparents were alcoholics, and one had a gambling addiction so I don't want to risk it, I worry about making friends as well but to be honest people would be stupid to not be friends just because you don't drink.
Reply 32
Original post by rockrunride
Why must alcohol consumption necessarily lead to alcoholism? I started to drink at 20 out of cultural curiosity, and being in an environment with friends that enjoyed drinking. As did my father, who is now in his mid-fifties and definitely not an alcoholic.

The fact that you don't want to drink at this age shows nothing more or less than a preference for certain things. No more significant than a preference for clothes or computers.

And even if I did want to be able to tell Carlsberg from Carling with a blindfold on, who is anyone to pass judgement on that more than say, someone who could identify a dog breed from their bark alone?

I agree though that drinking (or going teetotal) should be your choice. A choice that absolutely does not have to be justified.

addictive personality's can run in families though, half of my mums family are alcoholics, I doubt that's coincidence, its so far spread in my family I would not be at all surprised if I ended up the same way if I drink, I have a bit of an obsessive personality don't want to take any chances.
Original post by tory88

I drink Vodka and Cokes...

So? You consider yourself an alpha male? No, lol. 99% of the time if a guy is drinking a vodka and coke he'll get laughed at for being a pussy.
Trust me, three weeks in you'll be getting hammered with the rest of them.
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
So? You consider yourself an alpha male? No, lol. 99% of the time if a guy is drinking a vodka and coke he'll get laughed at for being a pussy.

How about you just drink what you want to drink, and don't worry about what others think?

Being scared of others insulting a decision you make, and conforming to fit in doesn't strike me as something an "alpha male" would do...
Reply 36
I don't drink mainly because I don't like the majority of things, but I will occasionally have a cocktail or vodka/pineapple.
I've still made friends even though I don't really drink and I don't like clubbing (too many people and music I don't like).

As been said before, if people are going to be funny with you because you don't drink, they're not worth your time.
Its not like you won't make friends but it will probably limit you as drinking is a large part of uni culture.
Reply 38
Original post by Chief Wiggum
People shouldn't really care at all.

I think the issue is that on average people who don't drink tend to perhaps be more shy etc than those who do drink, and I think it's that shyness rather than the lack of drinking that affects making friends.

If you're confident etc, it really won't matter at all that you don't drink.

This is complete bull **** and just adding to the stigmatization of non drinkers. In actual fact it is the complete opposite, people who drink a lot tend to be able to be unable to handle social situations without drink. People who don't drink tend to be very strong willed individual characters because by not drinking in the UK you are really going against the mold.

OP You will never get an honest answer on here because everyone is so optimistic. I've been to and lived at higher educational establishments before and while it is true that you can make plenty of friends if you don't drink you really have to dig deep. First day of halls, warden organizes social gathering with wine in the common room. Second day, my floor groups together to go to the pub, drink and tell embarrassing stories about themselves. This is pretty cringey if you are sober. Third day they started doing the pre-drink thing. Pre-drinks are the worst because everyone gets drunk before you get a chance to talk to anyone leaving you feeling isolated. At least if they left it until the club then you could walk and talk with them. Literally as soon as I was out of my room and joined them in the kitchen to see where they were going everyone was roaring drunk. And then there were the drinking games. Can't take part at all if you don't drink. It was only after a month or so in that I identified fellow non drinkers within the hall to arrange trips to museums and stuff. The only good news is that by second term they toned it down because of study.
Reply 39
Original post by paulthompson94
If someone refused to like you for not drinking then they aren't worth worrying over!

It's not that people will refuse to like you if you don't drink it is more that not drinking often excludes you from activities with these people hence removing your opportunity to befriend the. I have never come across someone who refused to be friends with someone simply because they didn't drink.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending