The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wonder if there is actually more going on behind the scenes with a few players getting offers while publically saying that they are interested in Fabregas/modric/bale etc?

Doesn't seem a like a smart idea unless you can pull off a good signing and 'fix' the midfield problem.
Reply 7601
What happened about bringing Beckham back as global ambassador, surely he would help us to sign new players/sponsors. Zidane is doing a great job attracting new talent to Madrid and Beckham could do the same for us, lets be honest young talent like Thiago/Neymar are not going to know who Moyes is but a phone call from Beckham could make us more attractive. Look at Varane, he was in between United and Madrid and he has publicly said that Zidane caused him to go to Madrid.
"It's thanks to Zizou and to the coach. Zizou was my first contact. Then the coach presented an interesting project to me. He proposed to me to work together, and gave me his confidence," he said.

This is what Nasri said before he went to City.
“Patrick Vieira made a big difference because he is a legend. When a player like this who played for Arsenal, Inter Milan and Juventus tells you that Manchester City is the place to be because it is the club of the future, they want to win everything they have a big, big project, you have to listen.”

Also last season Silva was a factor in Moura choosing PSG over us.
When we have a global well known star like Beckham who loves us so much why not take advantage. Beckham could increase our power in the transfer market.
Reply 7602
Omg utd's bidding is like on football manager's , what happend to the time it would only be publicized when the transfer was all but complete ... Cant even take these rumours seriously , ilike moyes but i honestly believe he is finding it difficult to sign players and wont be suprised if we end up with just felleni which wont be the end of the world but ithen hope Rooney stays ... I believe if Kagawa ---- Rooney ---- Nani/zaha & RVP up top , we have a Efficient attacking four and i also prayy moyes doesnt over rely on RVP
Reply 7603
id throw januzaj into the deep end and slot him into midfield in the 1st team
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
What I was thinking was if we can't play him upfront with RVP then play him in midfield. I thought he played well there last season and this could be more of an option especially if United don't buy a midfielder. Regarding the fans attitude towards him I don't think they'll forgive him but if he starts banging the goals in then they may start getting behind him again.

I don't see the point in selling him to be honest we won't be able to get a decent replacement for him anyway. And if we did then I can't see us selling him to our rivals no matter how much they bid for him. And not many teams abroad would be willing to buy him because of the large wages his on. So most likely outcome is that he'll stay whether he likes it or not.

Yeah I too thought Rooney did pretty well in midfield, he does have the energy that Carrick lacks and his vision is good too, although he'll need to brush up on his tackling if we were to play him regularly in midfield (scholesy never got that memo I don't think haha)

Downsides of keeping him is that he obviously wants to go, even though he may not have publicly said it its clear for anyone to see, so not sure what kind of an impact that will have on the team spirit and all that. Also I don't recall how his relationship was with Moyes when he left Everton? That's definitely something to consider, only way I see him going to Chelsea is if we make a massive fabregas-esque signing to soften the blow, can't see that happening either though so really not sure what's gonna happen..

On another note, quite a good read..

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jul/30/big-transfer-comfort-food-clubs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7605
Apparently Man Utd are going for an all out 10M swoop for Tahitian forward Chong Hue?
Reply 7606
Why do people always want Kags on the left?? Here's an idea put Rooney on the left... Let Kags grow in his preferred position... Not accommodate an attention money grabbing person like Wayne Rooney.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7607
Original post by wannabeIBD
Yeah I too thought Rooney did pretty well in midfield, he does have the energy that Carrick lacks and his vision is good too, although he'll need to brush up on his tackling if we were to play him regularly in midfield (scholesy never got that memo I don't think haha)

Downsides of keeping him is that he obviously wants to go, even though he may not have publicly said it its clear for anyone to see, so not sure what kind of an impact that will have on the team spirit and all that. Also I don't recall how his relationship was with Moyes when he left Everton? That's definitely something to consider, only way I see him going to Chelsea is if we make a massive fabregas-esque signing to soften the blow, can't see that happening either though so really not sure what's gonna happen..

On another note, quite a good read..

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jul/30/big-transfer-comfort-food-clubs

Posted from TSR Mobile

That article is bull ****, it praises City to spend 30mil on Fernandinho but says that Fabregas is just a glamour signing for us at the same price, has he seen our midfield compared to City. Also it praises Bayern for taking a hostilic approach, but they spent lots last season on Martinez and unnecessarily brought Thiago and Gotze this year.
Original post by cost
Why do people always want Kags on the left?? Here's an idea put Rooney on the left... Let Kags grow in his preferred position... Not accommodate an attention money grabbing person like Wayne Rooney.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rooney on the left wouldn't work as well as it used to, he's lost pace and his work rate while good isn't what it used to be. What I'd like to see though is the two interchanging positions during the match reckon if you could get them two and van persie linking up well then I'd pray for premier league defenders.
Original post by rohitbd
That article is bull ****, it praises City to spend 30mil on Fernandinho but says that Fabregas is just a glamour signing for us at the same price, has he seen our midfield compared to City. Also it praises Bayern for taking a hostilic approach, but they spent lots last season on Martinez and unnecessarily brought Thiago and Gotze this year.

Tbh bayern bought sensibly last year and buying martinez, shaqiri and dante won them the treble for a reason(even if shaqiri didn't get loads of games). This year they've only bought luxury signings, I could see a need for gotze, weakening your rivals, strengthening your winger depth if kroos is injured if they but I struggle to see the need for thiago bar the rationale that 'guardiola thinks he's a good player'

Bayern last season were a perfect example of team harmony. Man city have bought smartly personally. They know what they're doing. He did say in the article
Theirs has been a calm, coherent spree. Perhaps, given the determined Luddism that still governs large parts of English footballing culture, "holistic" wasn't the wisest choice of words, but as others snatch at stars, they have taken a major step towards the harmonious style that has brought success to Barcelona and Bayern.
Original post by wannabeIBD
Also I don't recall how his relationship was with Moyes when he left Everton?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It took a downward spiral when he left with a book he published that was critical of Moyes, the latter sued Rooney and eventually came to a settlement and the pair resolved their differences. It seems that is in the past but the discussions already had, and yet to be had on Rooney's future, suggests their renewed relationship might be put to the test again.

Rooney in midfield won't happen as he wants the number nine role. He did OK in that midfield position on a temporary basis when we lacked numbers or depth in quality but atm, don't see him as that role. If he stays, and he matures (mentally) to realise he can contribute deeper as he gets older then for sure but not atm. We shouldn't be shifting players into the midfield role because we've been unable to solve the issue.
Reply 7611
Original post by jam277
Tbh bayern bought sensibly last year and buying martinez, shaqiri and dante won them the treble for a reason(even if shaqiri didn't get loads of games). This year they've only bought luxury signings, I could see a need for gotze, weakening your rivals, strengthening your winger depth if kroos is injured if they but I struggle to see the need for thiago bar the rationale that 'guardiola thinks he's a good player'

Bayern last season were a perfect example of team harmony. Man city have bought smartly personally. They know what they're doing. He did say in the article

Weakening your opponents is not always the best idea when the league becomes too easy, imagine if Bayern get knocked out of CL in the QF and are 15 points ahead of their closest rival, players get bored and want to go to a more competitive league, one of the reason Ronaldo left us, we had won 3 PL titles in a row and if he had been here you'd have to guarantee we wouldn't have lost the title by a point against Chelsea and by goal difference against City, that would've meant 7 PL titles in a row. Gotze and Thiago could harm the development of Kroos and Shaqiri as well as anger Robben/Ribery/Muller due to lack of playing time, Martinez will also not be to happy with having to play at CB and that can also cause a rift with the current CB. One was a reasonable buy but buying both seems greedy.

City have improved their squad and tactical opposition but for 100mil they haven't exactly improved their starting 11 much, especially when you consider Tevez leaving
Original post by rohitbd

The couple of comments I made about the article in the original post didn't show up for some reason.

Firstly, I'm not 100% sure of the quality of the city signings this summer, sure all of them have good records in their respective leagues before city but they might just as easily flop in the premier league as we see with so players coming from abroad who just can't handle the prem. I really doubt (and I'm praying I don't get proven wrong here) that they're gonna set the premier league alight like the likes of silva/aguero/toure did. But it surely is a step in the right direction for them rather than splurging money on players they don't need and breaking every financial FairPlay regulation as they used to. Obviously I don't like that they've become more sensible but well done to them I guess. Just will have to see if the players will live up to expectations.

As for bayern, I agree with everything jam has said above. Martinez although overpriced was brilliant last season and he did a job for them also there wasn't a massive transfer saga and he isn't really a 'glamour' signing as such, compared to falcao, cavani etc. I think with Thiago, Pep just wanted to 'make his mark' on the team because Thiago knows Pep and understands his philosophy etc and he wants that to grow within the bayern players. I guess you could call that a glamour signing if you like. Also I think Thiago is long term for them and is going to replace some players who are going to be past their best in a couple of years but obviously Pep doesn't want to sell those players to their rivals yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rohitbd
Weakening your opponents is not always the best idea when the league becomes too easy, imagine if Bayern get knocked out of CL in the QF and are 15 points ahead of their closest rival, players get bored and want to go to a more competitive league, one of the reason Ronaldo left us, we had won 3 PL titles in a row and if he had been here you'd have to guarantee we wouldn't have lost the title by a point against Chelsea and by goal difference against City, that would've meant 7 PL titles in a row. Gotze and Thiago could harm the development of Kroos and Shaqiri as well as anger Robben/Ribery/Muller due to lack of playing time, Martinez will also not be to happy with having to play at CB and that can also cause a rift with the current CB. One was a reasonable buy but buying both seems greedy.

City have improved their squad and tactical opposition but for 100mil they haven't exactly improved their starting 11 much, especially when you consider Tevez leaving

Probably yes. I wouldn't say that it was a lack of a challenge why ronaldo left you guys. If we actually look at the three seasons, you won by 6 points the first season, the next season you won by 2 and it was decided on the final day but would have probably won it on goal difference(stupid bolton didn't want to concede 10 goals :angry:) and the third season you won by 4 points.

If madrid didn't come calling (would leave chelsea for madrid if I had the chance tbh) then I guarantee he would have stayed, also think it was slightly a money thing. He knew he was going to get big boy wages there, an agent payoff too so.
Bayern's signings

Spoiler

With city they spent a lot but tbh they didn't need to improve their starting 11 ratings wise. If they did then you'd be talking about them buying thiago silva. They bought what they needed and the squad is currently good enough to win the CL imo. I think we'll be seeing them in the latter stages this year if a guy like pellegrini got malaga 1 min away from a CL semi final then I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets man city there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7614
Original post by jam277
Probably yes. I wouldn't say that it was a lack of a challenge why ronaldo left you guys. If we actually look at the three seasons, you won by 6 points the first season, the next season you won by 2 and it was decided on the final day but would have probably won it on goal difference(stupid bolton didn't want to concede 10 goals :angry:) and the third season you won by 4 points.

If madrid didn't come calling (would leave chelsea for madrid if I had the chance tbh) then I guarantee he would have stayed, also think it was slightly a money thing. He knew he was going to get big boy wages there, an agent payoff too so.
Bayern's signings

Spoiler

With city they spent a lot but tbh they didn't need to improve their starting 11 ratings wise. If they did then you'd be talking about them buying thiago silva. They bought what they needed and the squad is currently good enough to win the CL imo. I think we'll be seeing them in the latter stages this year if a guy like pellegrini got malaga 1 min away from a CL semi final then I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets man city there.

I don't think Ronaldo would've stayed if RM hadn't come calling because he just looked so bored the last season he was here at points, kind of like he right know at Madrid at points. I think the competition of barca/messi brought new life into him and made him a better player, don't think he'd been as good as he is now if he had stayed with us. I don't think it was for the money, as he was young and we would've matched Madrid if he wanted to stay, though you could be right about the agent pay off.

Agree about the signings but wouldn't call Kroos a finished product yet, plus Kroos/Gotze/Thiago/Muller/Martinez/Gustavo are all hoping to get into the world cup whereas their competition for a spot such as Reus/Ozil & Cesc/Mata are guaranteed more playing time, which will cause someone to be unhappy at least.

Calculating the strength of City starting 11 is difficult, we don't really know if players like Silva/Hart/Toure/Kompany/Aguero overachieved in 11/12 or underachieved last year, plus upfront they're not as scary as they once were IMO, Tevez coming back revived their title challenge in 11/12 and is better than Jovetic, and out of the 5 above I only think Aguero will significantly improve. Though agree about Pellegrini improving them in the CL, though due to their rep with Uefa they could get a tough group again, but if they get into the knockout stages I expect them to do well.
Sky proper quiet about fabregas these days. We really do need to make another bid
Original post by rohitbd
I don't think Ronaldo would've stayed if RM hadn't come calling because he just looked so bored the last season he was here at points, kind of like he right know at Madrid at points. I think the competition of barca/messi brought new life into him and made him a better player, don't think he'd been as good as he is now if he had stayed with us. I don't think it was for the money, as he was young and we would've matched Madrid if he wanted to stay, though you could be right about the agent pay off.

Agree about the signings but wouldn't call Kroos a finished product yet, plus Kroos/Gotze/Thiago/Muller/Martinez/Gustavo are all hoping to get into the world cup whereas their competition for a spot such as Reus/Ozil & Cesc/Mata are guaranteed more playing time, which will cause someone to be unhappy at least.

Calculating the strength of City starting 11 is difficult, we don't really know if players like Silva/Hart/Toure/Kompany/Aguero overachieved in 11/12 or underachieved last year, plus upfront they're not as scary as they once were IMO, Tevez coming back revived their title challenge in 11/12 and is better than Jovetic, and out of the 5 above I only think Aguero will significantly improve. Though agree about Pellegrini improving them in the CL, though due to their rep with Uefa they could get a tough group again, but if they get into the knockout stages I expect them to do well.

Ronaldo

Spoiler

Kroos/world cup

Spoiler

City

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7617
Man I love Man Utd although I am a Greek and the team that I primarily support is Olympiakos from Greece,However I have been to some Manchester Utd matches and Champions League and I still remember the 7 goals against Roma in 2007
Original post by ledleyking123
Sky proper quiet about fabregas these days. We really do need to make another bid

put two and two together and figure out why.
Original post by ledleyking123

You're either 14 or a troll. Which one are you?

Latest