The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Bremen were pretty lucky. Stuck a fiver on the game being a draw at 11/5 so gutted, **** game as well. :angry:
Original post by TheInvincibles14
What happened to Pisczcek?

Had surgery out till new year
I'd so love to go to Signal Iduna Park or Allianz Arena in my life.Better stadiums than wembley and OT combined
Reply 23
Saw aubameyangs hattrick, good finishes, got a lot of pace on him and the finishes were sublime. Him and lewandowski could form a great partnership, if not they'd be good enough playing 60-30.

Shame didn't get to watch bayer, like them a lot. Who do schalke have in the qualifiers btw? I'd imagine they're the strongest team bar arsenal in the CL qualifiers so would get past everyone with consummate ease.
Original post by krishkmistry
I'd so love to go to Signal Iduna Park or Allianz Arena in my life.Better stadiums than wembley and OT combined

Allianz arena atmosphere is probably the worst in the Bundesliga. Munich is known as the upper class city whereas Dortmund/Schalke are in the middle of the old industrial region with coal mines etc so their atmosphere is much much better. Also the fact there is nothing to do in Gelsenkirchen except get drunk and support S04 whereas in Munich there are other things to occupy your thoughts.

Definitely going to get to a BVB game this season though, although I would feel guilty for shamelessly jumping on a bandwagon. In a few years time I'll bet their stadium will be full os Japanese and American tourists taking photos like English stadiums :angry:
Original post by jam277
Saw aubameyangs hattrick, good finishes, got a lot of pace on him and the finishes were sublime. Him and lewandowski could form a great partnership, if not they'd be good enough playing 60-30.

Shame didn't get to watch bayer, like them a lot. Who do schalke have in the qualifiers btw? I'd imagine they're the strongest team bar arsenal in the CL qualifiers so would get past everyone with consummate ease.

He was unreal today. Never saw him play before BVB but he is an absolute steal at 12m, almost Thierry Henry esque in the way he plays.
I know it's early season, but I'm not sure Bayern Munich should be as strong favourites for the title IMO. I wasn't convinced especially when they played City (although it's oly pre-season) and in their opening game, they weren't too commanding although Monchengladbach are a good team. Dortmund bought really well with Aubameyang who is very fast and a good finisher and Mkhitaryan who was like top scorer in Ukraine and isn't even a striker. He's around the same level as Gotze IMO so I think Dortmund have strengthened and will be tougher to beat

Looks exciting this new Bundesliga season
Reply 27
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I know it's early season, but I'm not sure Bayern Munich should be as strong favourites for the title IMO. I wasn't convinced especially when they played City (although it's oly pre-season) and in their opening game, they weren't too commanding although Monchengladbach are a good team. Dortmund bought really well with Aubameyang who is very fast and a good finisher and Mkhitaryan who was like top scorer in Ukraine and isn't even a striker. He's around the same level as Gotze IMO so I think Dortmund have strengthened and will be tougher to beat

Looks exciting this new Bundesliga season

The way I see it is that dortmund don't have enough cover in defence. Now they have about enough cover in attack, but I feel they should have kept santana or bought a CB. Do they have anymore upcoming defensive talents btw? Plus if pizchek or schmelzer are injured I can see grosskeutz getting shredded game after game.
They bought Sokratis not sure how good he is though but he is a Greek defender. Agree that depth has always been one of Dortmund's biggest problems but they'll definitely challenge Bayern this season. The link up play between Reus and Aubenmayang for the second goal was very encouraging too.
Original post by Zürich
Allianz arena atmosphere is probably the worst in the Bundesliga. Munich is known as the upper class city whereas Dortmund/Schalke are in the middle of the old industrial region with coal mines etc so their atmosphere is much much better. Also the fact there is nothing to do in Gelsenkirchen except get drunk and support S04 whereas in Munich there are other things to occupy your thoughts.

Definitely going to get to a BVB game this season though, although I would feel guilty for shamelessly jumping on a bandwagon. In a few years time I'll bet their stadium will be full os Japanese and American tourists taking photos like English stadiums :angry:

He was probably on about the stadium itself, not the atmosphere (which is largely irrelevant).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Schalke 3 HSV 3, what a game this is
Reply 31
Original post by Zürich
Schalke 3 HSV 3, what a game this is

A brilliant game. Feel sorry for those missing this.
Good for me have this down as a draw !

Entertaining and winning :colone:
Missed the Schalke game ffs. Hope the ITV bundesliga programme is still on.
Missed the Schalke game ffs. Hope the ITV bundesliga programme is still on.

Tomorrow at 10, worth watching.
Reply 35
They bought Sokratis not sure how good he is though but he is a Greek defender. Agree that depth has always been one of Dortmund's biggest problems but they'll definitely challenge Bayern this season. The link up play between Reus and Aubenmayang for the second goal was very encouraging too.

I know, but that's 3 competent defenders for two positions, bayern have at least 6 if you're including martinez. They don't even have backup full backs.
Original post by jam277
I know, but that's 3 competent defenders for two positions, bayern have at least 6 if you're including martinez. They don't even have backup full backs.

Well tbf they made it to the CL final last year with a similar squad but it's true that if they pick up a few injuries then they are in trouble. I still think Dortmund will be better in the league this year but Bayern will win it since they are stacked. I think Schalke will come third if they can pull it together. Goretzka is one to watch, 18 year old who could be the next big thing.
Well tbf they made it to the CL final last year with a similar squad but it's true that if they pick up a few injuries then they are in trouble. I still think Dortmund will be better in the league this year but Bayern will win it since they are stacked. I think Schalke will come third if they can pull it together. Goretzka is one to watch, 18 year old who could be the next big thing.

I'm not sure about that. Leverkusen sold Schurrle and they've got this kid called son heung min who's looks better than schurrle imo. Plus they have topscorer kiessling
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I'm not sure about that. Leverkusen sold Schurrle and they've got this kid called son heung min who's looks better than schurrle imo. Plus they have topscorer kiessling

Yeah I saw that guy in a few games last season, really good player. Point I'm trying to make is that Schalke have Farfan, Draxler, Huntelaar etc all quality players they should at least put up more of a fight. They are certainly capable.
Yeah I saw that guy in a few games last season, really good player. Point I'm trying to make is that Schalke have Farfan, Draxler, Huntelaar etc all quality players they should at least put up more of a fight. They are certainly capable.

Howedes/Papadopulous are as good a CB pairing as any in the Bundesliga too. Missing a good CM though.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest