The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm just wondering - to all who did A-levels, when does it say that your UCAS was last updated? As in, your offers/declined offers etc. I did IB and am in a possibly unique situation.
Original post by n.confused
You probably have done this but don't forget to tell your college that you are doing an express remark so they can 'hold your place'! Good luck :smile:

Original post by cpdavis
It could be that the college will take you, have you sent your marks to them? :smile:

They know my marks, and if they don't take me with these UMS then I'll do the express remark :smile:
Original post by jysim123
Hi, I got a conditional offer to read Natural Sciences (Physical) at Churchill College but I missed the grade requirement by one subject. My admissions tutor has sent me an email that says that my file will be put into the Summer Pool. Can anyone shed some light on this please, and also on my chances? :smile::smile:

Thanks!

Roughly 25% of pooled candidates receive offers. The important thing is to monitor your inbox so that you can act quickly if you are unsuccessful or if the college needs further information from you. Here are more precise details on the summer pool: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_6.html#4 You'll have to wait unfortunately. However, while you are waiting it makes sense to prepare for the worst case scenario (missing both firm and insurance). Familiarise yourself with offers in Clearing. This year is unusually good in terms of the calibre of courses available. If you see some that you like, do research on them, think about where they're located, course specifics and so on, so that if you suddenly get bad news, you're reading to take action and go through Clearing.

Perhaps also contact your insurance to explain the situation and find out their position on it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Woohoo A*A*A*A* :biggrin:

It is now time to purchase an item of Cambridge University clothing!
(edited 10 years ago)
A*A*A*A* :eek:

Cannot wait to start in October!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3465
Original post by St. Brynjar
Mine still says conditional, but my AAA offer for Nottingham is confirmed. Looking pretty unlikely now. Well done to all who got in.

It might mean that you're in the summer pool. Give your college a call, and email/fax your transcript across to them. Highlight how close you were to your offer!
Reply 3466
Original post by St. Brynjar
They know my marks, and if they don't take me with these UMS then I'll do the express remark :smile:

If you wait for them to say whether they'll take you or not and THEN get a remark, it might be too late! I'd recommend calling them up/emailing them and telling them your UMS scores so they know how close you were to the boundaries; whilst also telling them you'll be getting an priority remark. (Because, really, you're not gonna go from nearly A* to B on either so you're definitely in to your insurance. Whaddya have to lose?)
Original post by Benjy100

Don't do it! Wearing Cambridge University clothing is done almost exclusively by tourists - wait until you get here, join a society, get their stash and then barely wear it because people wearing stash still generally look like prats.
Original post by SParm
If you wait for them to say whether they'll take you or not and THEN get a remark, it might be too late! I'd recommend calling them up/emailing them and telling them your UMS scores so they know how close you were to the boundaries; whilst also telling them you'll be getting an priority remark. (Because, really, you're not gonna go from nearly A* to B on either so you're definitely in to your insurance. Whaddya have to lose?)

Well... £70something. But overall, completely agree with this post! :yy:
Original post by jysim123
Hi, I got a conditional offer to read Natural Sciences (Physical) at Churchill College but I missed the grade requirement by one subject. My admissions tutor has sent me an email that says that my file will be put into the Summer Pool. Can anyone shed some light on this please, and also on my chances? :smile::smile:

Thanks!

Sorry, further to my above post, if you met your insurance offer you can ignore Clearing obviously. Its only if that missed grade means that you've missed both Cambridge and your insurance that you need to use the time you're waiting to prepare a Plan B.

Already own one, which I purchased upon a visit to Cambridge - thought I would have to throw it away if I had missed my offer :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3471
Original post by Craghyrax
Well... £70something. But overall, completely agree with this post! :yy:

See as soon as I posted that and I saw my last sentence I immediately thought of price and how I'd forgotten to mention it, and just hoped that it wouldn't be an issue for the person in question. :s-smilie:

Hopefully it isn't.
Original post by SParm
See as soon as I posted that and I saw my last sentence I immediately thought of price and how I'd forgotten to mention it, and just hoped that it wouldn't be an issue for the person in question. :s-smilie:

Hopefully it isn't.

Fingers crossed, yes! Luckily if the remark is successful you get a full refund.
Original post by timsquirrell
First of all, congratulations to absolutely everyone coming up to Cambridge this year - you're in for a hell of a few years.

I'm a current student here, about to go into my third year of Natural Sciences. If you have any questions about life in Cambridge, please don't hesitate to ask.

When you get here, you're going to be subjected to an absolute barrage of information, and it's pretty hard to know where to begin. Having been here for two years already, the best advice I can give is to chill out - there's lots of stuff to be done, but you should mainly focus (in the beginning at least) on relaxing, making friends and enjoying yourself.

One of the best things I've done in my time at Cambridge has been to get involved in the Cambridge Union Society. For those of you who don't know about it, it's both the oldest and largest student society in Cambridge, as well as one of the world's oldest debating societies. It's mostly famous for its Thursday night debates and its speaker meetings, where you get to listen to, meet and question some of the most interesting (and famous) people in the world - in the last couple of years there've been appearances by Judi Dench, David Moyes, Tim Minchin, Boris Johnson, Richard Dawkins and Stephen Fry, just to name a select few. If you're interested, you should be receiving a copy of the freshers' guide in the post soon - or if you can't wait, you can find a copy here: http://issuu.com/cscreative/docs/uniorecr2013weblq2-2

For now, congrats again - go out and engage in your preferred form of mildly self-destructive and ill-advised behaviour. Looking forward to seeing you all here in October!

Like it has already been said, a huge congratulations to those going to Cambridge in September, you should be immensely proud! Sadly, my brother just missed his Cambridge Natural Sciences offer, as he got AAA instead of A*AA... The University said they'd let him know tomorrow- but what are the chances of him still getting in? He was predicted A*A*A*, got ASs well above 90% and even came in the 5th percentile for the admissions test, so we are all so disappointed and mostly surprised. Could someone please let me know if there is still a glimmer of hope for him? Or if any people at Cambridge have got in in the past still missing their offer? It would be such a shame after all this effort and excitement that he ends up at his insurance. Thank you, and I'm sorry for all those that are also in his position!
Reply 3474
Original post by Alix_js
Like it has already been said, a huge congratulations to those going to Cambridge in September, you should be immensely proud! Sadly, my brother just missed his Cambridge Natural Sciences offer, as he got AAA instead of A*AA... The University said they'd let him know tomorrow- but what are the chances of him still getting in? He was predicted A*A*A*, got ASs well above 90% and even came in the 5th percentile for the admissions test, so we are all so disappointed and mostly surprised. Could someone please let me know if there is still a glimmer of hope for him? Or if any people at Cambridge have got in in the past still missing their offer? It would be such a shame after all this effort and excitement that he ends up at his insurance. Thank you, and I'm sorry for all those that are also in his position!

It really depends on how many people also missed their offers and how many spaces they have left across the college. (For example, Catz has a hard limit of about 135 students per year because that's the number of spaces they have in their second year accommodation). Good AS grades and a good admissions test will work in his favour, as will results close to the A* boundary, but you just have to wait and see, really.

I've known students who were painstakingly close to the boundary get rejected and students who were a bit further away (and in crucial subjects!) be accepted, so I think it depends on the college and the year. Sorry to not be able to provide a bit more of an indication.
Original post by n.confused
Oh I'm sorry :frown: Have you tried calling your college?

My tutor's in contact, but it's on UCAS, it seems pretty certain.
Reply 3476

I concur with Tim - buy a college hoodie or a scarf instead or you'll forever be marked out as a tourist and offered punt tours every time you walk down the street...

(Also, congratulations!)
Thank you so much anyway! I guess it's just a waiting game now, and hopefully he made a good impression whilst there and they liked him... Anyway he's been phoning up other universities (better ones than his insurance) and it seams to be looking like they do have spaces for him, if he is rejected (please God accept him!) I think it has just really rocked him and my parents- we never thought he'd be in this position today.
Got A*AA and not the A*A*A that my offer required. Am still waiting for Magdalene's decision. :s-smilie:
Original post by chocoholic_x
Got A*AA and not the A*A*A that my offer required. Am still waiting for Magdalene's decision. :s-smilie:

My brother also narrowly missed his offer and is waiting... I hope it works out well for both you and him. And please don't be too harsh on yourself- you've done amazing and should be really proud of yourself, and there is always hope that they will want you xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending