The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance!!

Hi, I recieved my AS results yesterday, they are as follows:
Maths A
Physics B
Biology B
Chemistry C
Do I stand a chance of getting into uni to study physics as most of their entry requirements are AAA!!

Any help is appreciated! thanks guys
Reply 1
Original post by amylilac
Maths A
Physics B
Biology B
Chemistry C
Do I stand a chance of getting into uni to study physics as most of their entry requirements are AAA!!

Yes you do these are not bad results!!
Reply 2
Maths A
Physics B
Biology B
Chemistry C

Considered here? http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/science/physics/=
Reply 3
Yes you do, with those grades you'll be able to get into a good uni to do physics.

Be sure to pick some universities that don't require AAA grades though. ABB is a common requirement for many physics courses at good unis.
Reply 4
thanks guys! I realy had my heart set on Durham:frown: but they want A*AA, and i dont think they will even look at me with those grades!! is it worth me applying?
thanks guys! I realy had my heart set on Durham:frown: but they want A*AA, and i dont think they will even look at me with those grades!! is it worth me applying?

Trust me, its always better to at least try, rather than not trying and then regretting it! I remember when I applied, my personal tutor said that for the 5 choices, 1 should be one just higher than your predicted grades/AS results, 3 should be around your predicted/AS results and one should be below :smile:

When I applied 2 years ago, my choices (Chemistry) were Imperial, which was just above my predicted grades (which I did actually get an interview for, but I decided to withdraw my application from there in the end), my 3 around the same grade were Warwick, Birmingham and Southampton, and my one below was Keele! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

100% apply. Worse that can happen is a rejection, and you got 4 other choices.

You're not too far off turning those Bs to As. (Also, as a girl doing Physics, you will have a small advantage!)
Reply 7
Maths A
Physics B
Biology B
Chemistry C

I got physics offers of AAB and ABB from York and Liverpool respectively (both very good physics departments at Russell-Group universities), and I did a third year so they like making it harder for me. If you can stick with ABB through A2, I'm sure you can find a place somewhere good. Just stay away from Oxbridge and Manchester.
Reply 8
you should be able to, those aren't bad at all, and usually your predicted grades might be higher if you have nice teachers and you were close to the As with those Bs, then you could still apply to a place with AAA requirements but obviously have some places with lower requirements as well
Maths A
Physics B
Biology B
Chemistry C

Come to Keele!! For Physics, Keele Clearing are asking for BBB-CCC and to have A level Physics or Maths as one of your subjects. For more information about Clearing, Entry requirements and the number of vacancies left in each subject check out our Clearing webpage: http://www.keele.ac.uk/clearing/clearing/
Keele is a great university, I have loved every second of it and i highly recommend it to everyone :smile:
These grades are not bad at all but I wouldn't waste your 5 choices on applying for courses that require AAA if you are not working at that level. Maybe apply to your top choice and then apply for 4 unis that require a mixture of Bs with As/Cs.

Applying to a mixture will ensure your safe rather than sorry. Although clearing is great, it's manically stressful.
Put it this way, at AS I got BBBD. I went on to apply for 2AAA & 3AAB courses. I got offers from four and accepted one of the AAAs. I then went on to get A*AA at A-Level.

AS is not the end of everything. It was the wake up call that I needed. Just get your head down, plan which modules you're going to resit and write an awesome personal statement.
Reply 12
Wow! Thankyou soo much! These replies have given me much more confidence!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending