The Student Room Group

Women not given same sentence as men... anti-male legal system? [Corrupt Feminism]

Poll

What is your gender?

Realistically speaking, would a woman receive the same sort of punishment as a man for committing things like sexual harassment, rape, faking a rape, sexually exploiting a minor, domestic abuse etc.?

If not, why not?

What percentage of women are not charged compared to men? (Irrelevant if women commit less crime, referring to % of women vs % of men).

Thanks. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I like this bit especially:

Women’s experiences as victims, witnesses and offenders are in many respects different to those of men,’ according to the Equal Treatment Bench Book.

Welcome to the disgusting double-standard Britain we live in today.
You've done a poll asking people's gender. :s-smilie:

I can believe this, although a study should be done into the precise reasons. I've also read that you are significantly less likely to be charged if you are attractive (that has nothing to do with gender, I'm simply pointing out that juries are flawed in many ways as well as gender).

However, whatever 'facts' we bring up here, the only way to resolve it is with a proper scientific study, run by the government. I'd be happy to petition for that.
(edited 10 years ago)
The irony is hilarious.
Reply 4
Even though there wasn't many details about the case, my heart sank to the pit of my stomach :frown: The thought of a woman comiting any kind of abuse is very hard to comprehend, especially to children she gave birth to :frown:

The system definately needs upgrading, not just to make it equal for genders but also the tariff should fit the crime..our system is flawed in so many ways :mad: She should be hung..but for the sake of the children should she be named :confused:
I need feminism cus women should go to prison for longer :h:
Reply 6
I usually don't want to hear the bitching on either side of the argument, but Final Fantasy has definitely done his research...
Reply 7
Don't worry. The posts on this thread attest to the fact that the backlash against "feminism" (female privilege) is now complete. There is not a single detractor, male or female. Our generation will grow up in a world where men's rights are systematically being reclaimed.
All three links you have sent me (though I only had time to scan them, obviously), concluded that there is a significant gap between male and female offenders, that can almost entirely be accounted for by;

1. Women being more likely to plead guilty.
2. Women being statistically more likely to have childcare responsibilities (which it is strictly ILLEGAL to take into account, but seems to happen anyway).
3. Female prisoners being significantly more likely to be mentally ill. (This is statistically true, whether you want it to be or not).

The cases you have cited are horrendous. However, scientifically they don't tell us much, except for a few individual miscarriages of justice picked up by tabloid journalists and anti-feminist websites. That doesn't mean there aren't others out there.

I'm trying to approach this from a position of complete impartiality. The general picture seems to be that there is a bias towards women, because the law and society still see them as the victims. I am completely against this, and I fully support the campaigns for recognition for male victims of domestic violence.

However, I'm not quite sure what you want from this thread. You seem to just be filled with hate. There are many different types of feminist, and some of them are downright misandric, but the vast majority do want equality (though I think the name 'feminist' needs serious rebranding).

It's not the average woman's fault we get sentenced more lightly, and most of us agree with you - I don't see how anyone couldn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Because that site isn't biased at all.

I see your point, but I despise it when people such as yourself have an opinion, and instead of looking into it openly, with unbiased consideration, you use biased sites such as the fightingfeminism blog. I could probably find sources where a woman has received more severe charges than the ones you listed.

Rather than showing us single (and for all we know, uncommon?) cases, provide statistics. I won't be surprised if the statistics out there support your opinion, but the way you're going about this is immature and not very credible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by scrotgrot
Don't worry. The posts on this thread attest to the fact that the backlash against "feminism" (female privilege) is now complete. There is not a single detractor, male or female. Our generation will grow up in a world where men's rights are systematically being reclaimed.

What men's rights? And how are they being 'systematically reclaimed'??

Some men hate equality, it's obvious to see. Laws have changed but blatantly a lot of mindsets haven't.
Reply 11
How many sources have you cited out of the pool of available sources? Your set of sources most certainly aren't broad.

I don't understand the point your making in the second part of your post. The blog is biased, therefore the cases it provides all support it's biased opinion. Do you think the blog provides a fair representation of the legal world? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Until we see impartial information, statistics you can't say either way.
Reply 12
Original post by CJKay
I usually don't want to hear the bitching on either side of the argument, but Final Fantasy has definitely done his research...

I'd say good research usually involves looking into both sides of the argument, so I'd disagree with that.
Reply 13
I'm on my phone and out and about at the minute, so I'll take a better look later on :smile: But you can't deny that you actively searched for sources supporting your opinion. Yes they are out there, but you can't deny that your intentions were biased, so understandably the results of what you found may be.

What's my radical feminist agenda!? I didn't even realise I was a feminist until I found my self defending my sex from the onslaught of hatred that's been displayed on many threads in the last few months. I hate the feminist groups for fussing about the bank notes because all they've done is to create resentment and a battle of the genders. :rolleyes: However I do agree with the lads mags issue, not out of feminsim as such but I do believe that society is oversexualized.
What are you hoping to achieve with this thread?

About the second part - you have made the assumption that a woman is a feminist. Feminists, not women, are the ones who are going on about banknotes, and even they are not necessarily representative of all feminists.
Most 'normal' women would agree with you.

Also - and I'm not saying that they shouldn't take action - why is only "women who are letting this **** carry on?" It's the responsibility of everyone to create equality. The judges and jurys are often male.

Many feminists care about women's rights primarily. It is called feminism after all.

(I apologise if anything is unclear, I'm writing this on a small touchscreen.)
All forms of inequality bother me. It's 2013, we've had enough time to get our **** together but we still haven't managed it.

If two people commit the same crime, they should get the same punishment. If two people do the same job, they should get the same pay. If two people fall in love, they should be able to get married. Regardless of gender, race, etc. I don't see how difficult it is to understand. In fact, surely it's easier to just treat everybody the same.
Reply 16
Judge Reynolds said she would be dealing with the sentencing of the woman with legislation that dates back to 1908.

Absolutely shocking.
You are doing it again... FEMINISTS are the ones "kicking up a fuss at home" not women. Not every woman gives a **** about bloody banknotes. It's a feminist issue. You are against feminist ideas.

And I do agree with you - I believe the current UK feminist campaigns are a waste of time and we'd all be far better off focusing on women's (lack of) rights in other countries.

Regarding the judges, I was just pointing it out that maybe they could do a little more to raise awareness of this problem. And it's probably worth looking at why jurys might act favourably towards females. Just to get a better understanding and thus a better solution.

The high profile feminists probably aren't going to care about this, unfortunately. So others will be forced to act.
Original post by Octohedral
You've done a poll asking people's gender. :s-smilie:

I can believe this, although a study should be done into the precise reasons. I've also read that you are significantly less likely to be charged if you are attractive (that has nothing to do with gender, I'm simply pointing out that juries are flawed in many ways as well as gender).

However, whatever 'facts' we bring up here, the only way to resolve it is with a proper scientific study, run by the government. I'd be happy to petition for that.

Actually I would be much happier if the study wasn't run by the government. I'd rather it was run by a research team in a good university, using the research team's own rules and ideas. Usually scientific studies done by the government show a lot of biased and, if repeated, they are often falsified by other reports.
Original post by pandabird
What men's rights? And how are they being 'systematically reclaimed'??

Some men hate equality, it's obvious to see. Laws have changed but blatantly a lot of mindsets haven't.

Well, maybe a poor choice of words, but the topic of this thread would be one way society is biased against men

It's men's own fault, women came together to fight for more rights, men haven't yet.

Surely you would want women to fight for equality before the law, even if it means giving up a female privilege.

Quick Reply

Latest