The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
I personally applied to :

Oxford, UCL, Durham, Imperial and Nottingham. I had offers from all but Oxford.

If I had to choose today I'd probably go for Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham. I like Durham but it's just too far away, and Nottingham the city is just grim. What was your opinion on nottingham and durham when you went for the interview?
Original post by theCreator
If I had to choose today I'd probably go for Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham. I like Durham but it's just too far away, and Nottingham the city is just grim. What was your opinion on nottingham and durham when you went for the interview?

I didnt have any interviews except at Oxford. I was supposed to have an interview at UCL but that didn't happen.
I didnt have any interviews except at Oxford. I was supposed to have an interview at UCL but that didn't happen.

No way omg. You must have applied a few years ago right? If not that's amazing, getting an offer without even interviewing. I think this year most universities interview.
Original post by theCreator
No way omg. You must have applied a few years ago right? If not that's amazing, getting an offer without even interviewing. I think this year most universities interview.

I started University in 2012.
Hi I'm hoping to apply for chemistry(Mchem) for 2014 entry to Loughborough, Hull, Surrey, Sheffield and Queen Mary

My AS results are

Psychology : A
Maths : B
Chemistry : C
Biology : C

Going to drop biology and work really hard to increase my chemistry grade up to a B at least

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Hi, I'll be applying for MChems at St Andrews, Cardiff, York and…two more yet to be decided. I have a few more open days to go to yet - I'm holding off my decision until then.

Nice to meet you all!

One small thing: I'm technically posting in the wrong thread, as I'll apply for 2015 entry. Anyone else deferring?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Hi I'm confused as to whether to apply for MChem or BSc at Manchester, though I think i'll apply to both.

My AS results are:

Sociology - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - B
Physics - C (dropping it woo:biggrin:)

I'm confused about which to apply to because it's AAA for the MChem and ABB for the BSc - as you can tell I'm inbetween those two requirements ffs.
I didn't apply after AS but my A2s are A in maths, B in chem and physics, possibly bumping the chem one up to an A with a remark. Probably going to apply to St Andrews (I can at least hope, can't I?), UEA, Sheffield, Warwick and Heriot Watt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I'm starting my MChem degree at University of Hull next month.
I applied to Southampton/Cardiff/Leicester/Bangor aswell.
Also, I only got BCCCC at AS and still received all 5 offers from AAB to BBB.
If anyone has any questions about Hull/Chemistry/Personal Statements/Applying with low grades or any of the other unis I applied for, feel free to PM me.
Reply 29
Original post by danny2014
Hi I'm confused as to whether to apply for MChem or BSc at Manchester, though I think i'll apply to both.

My AS results are:

Sociology - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - B
Physics - C (dropping it woo:biggrin:)

I'm confused about which to apply to because it's AAA for the MChem and ABB for the BSc - as you can tell I'm inbetween those two requirements ffs.

Maybe you could email admissions there and ask whether you would be admitted to the BSc if you had applied for and received an offer for the MChem but then achieved AAB/ABB. Applying for both may well be redundant.

Also, try and get predicted AAA.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by knope
Maybe you could email admissions there and ask whether you would be admitted to the BSc if you had applied for and received an offer for the MChem but then achieved AAB/ABB. Applying for both may well be redundant.

Also, try and get predicted AAA.

Ah right, that is very helpful advice actually! I'm visiting Manchester in October so ill be sure to ask around!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally decided I am applying for chemistry! (it was between chemistry and physics)

I am going to apply to uni of Birmingham, uni of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent and the last two are between uni of Warwick, uni of bath, uni of Sheffield, uni of Cardiff, UEA and uni of Manchester (was definitely going to apply here until I saw they put up their entry requirements so now unsure due to predicted grades :/)

Bath would be a definite but I don't meet their chemistry GCSE requirement so unsure about them too :frown:

Applying for MChem with year in industry

At AS I got: chemistry: A, biology: B (so close to an A) and physics: B
I think my predictions will be ABB (my teachers don't predict up a grade up)

I hope to achieve between A*AA - AAB (gap year if I get A*AA but unlikely)

Start my chemistry related work experience on Tuesday so excited for it!

good luck guys!
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone know if there's anything we can read up before we go to do Chemistry at Uni ?
Reply 33
Original post by guitardad
Does anyone know if there's anything we can read up before we go to do Chemistry at Uni ?

Why chemical reactions happen is a classic bridging textbook. Some of the Oxford chemistry primers (e.g. the ones on chemical bonding and periodic trends) are also pitched at a good level for pre-university students.
Hi guys :smile: I'll be applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, King's and Queen Mary all for MChem and possibly BSc at QMUL.

I'm doing Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry and got AAAA at AS but not sure what to carry onto A2. I adore f.maths so won't be dropping that, it's either 4A2's or maths, f.maths and chem but some unis think that's a bit narrow so iffy about that :frown: Not crazy about physics but it looks like I may carry that on.

Has anyone actually read Why Chemical Reactions Happens? I took it out at beginning of year 12 from the library, didn't understand the first few pages and gave up pretty swiftly. I feel like I should start again to mention in PS but it looks so draining.. :s-smilie:
Reply 35

I'm currently reading two books:

1) 17 molecules that changed history (it's a highly recommended book to read)
2) Biochemistry for Dummies (mainly because I find the subject fascinating, but it also will set the foundation for any biochem units at university)

Hope this helps:smile:
Hi, another 2014 Chemistry applicant!

Hoping to study:

Chemistry with Medicinal Science at York, Southampton or Nottingham
Natural Sciences at Bath
Chemistry at Oxford* (not sure on whether to apply due to AS grades)

AS Grades: ABBB in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Gutted about Chemistry and Physics as they were soooo close to being As, which makes me very sad :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by peasandcarrots
Hi guys :smile: I'll be applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, King's and Queen Mary all for MChem and possibly BSc at QMUL.

I'm doing Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry and got AAAA at AS but not sure what to carry onto A2. I adore f.maths so won't be dropping that, it's either 4A2's or maths, f.maths and chem but some unis think that's a bit narrow so iffy about that :frown: Not crazy about physics but it looks like I may carry that on.

Has anyone actually read Why Chemical Reactions Happens? I took it out at beginning of year 12 from the library, didn't understand the first few pages and gave up pretty swiftly. I feel like I should start again to mention in PS but it looks so draining.. :s-smilie:

Maths, FM, chemistry is the best three-subject combination for Oxford, and presumably any other university with a maths-heavy first year, but you're probably right that some universities might see this as a narrow combination. I can't imagine any universities asking for an A* in physics, and you should be able to get an A just fine if your maths is up to scratch.

WCRH, as I said above, is good bridging material from A2 to university so don't be discouraged that you've found it hard going. I would encourage you to have another go at it. Even if you don't understand it all, just ploughing through it will expose you to some new ideas that you might find interesting and/or useful. And if you find there's only one or two chapters that you really get/enjoy, that's enough to form the basis of a personal statement discussion.
Reply 38
I personally applied to :

Oxford, UCL, Durham, Imperial and Nottingham. I had offers from all but Oxford.

Hey, what were your AS / A2 grades?

Original post by BJack
Why chemical reactions happen is a classic bridging textbook. Some of the Oxford chemistry primers (e.g. the ones on chemical bonding and periodic trends) are also pitched at a good level for pre-university students.

Although those are good textbooks I personally didnt find them useful to begin with. If you're looking to actually do something before University begins then have a look at Molecular Orbital theory and MO Diagrams. Learning how to draw MO diagrams is something nice and easy to do.

In terms of textbooks I would suggest buying that one Organic textbook by Clayden. Stick to the chapters on Carbonyl chemistry and if you're feeling adventurous try and do some enol chemistry.

Besides that, enjoy your summer holidays because you wont be having an extended period for R&R for a long time :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending