The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
United fans aren't panicking. We've had much worse starts than this against much easier fixtures. We're one midfielder away from being completely comfortable with our squad, the same squad that tore apart the Premier League last season.

The same set up -Fergie, who as much as I disliked over the years, was the catalyst to your success last year
Reply 9561
Original post by Over2you
I think the reason why (most) Utd fans are panicking at the moment is because Moyes comes with absolutely no record. I think if it was a Guardiola/Murinho etc I don't think we'd be as worried. I just think we're all scared will fall into the zone of mediocrity (a good chance of that happening in a few years)

Manchester United becoming a mediocre team?
Original post by leinad2012
Nice to see a United fan with sense! Ozil being 24 is arguably the most exciting part, he could play in any attacking position (other than striker).

All we need now is Di Maria and I think we'll be sorted

Haha, yes, I'm sure you'll get the best years of his career.

Don't cry if after two trophyless seasons at Arsenal, he's angling away for a move to Bayern Munich.

For him to go from one of the top 2 teams in Spain to the 4/5 team in England can only mean one thing. He never had a better offer, odds are he'll have one eye on the exit door if your trophy less spell continues.
Don't agree on the strikeforce side. Aguero, Jovetic, Negredo to name three (and Dzeko as sub), with Navas, Yaya and Silva giving the chances. You can't deny that is a better strike force.

Aguero and maybe Negredo(hasn't played enough in PL to be judged yet IMHO) are good(former being one certainly on par with Rooney), but Jovetic hasn't even played a game this season and Dzeko wants to but isn't good enough to start. Silva was a shadow of a player last season and Pellegrini seems to play Yaya deeper than Mancini did.

Rio and Vidic are getting old, past their prime, so won't be able to play every game, Evra is pretty solid I agree, but De Gea has his moments too.

Rio and Vidic's play last season didn't indicate them being past their prime.
Evans was very solid last year with Rio and Smalling and Jones should also give cover if needed. De Gea is better than Joe "best in the world TM" Hart, Lloris and Szczesny and in the league only Cech and maybe Begovic are better, he can make top saves, distribute well, comfortable with the ball and has come a long way on handling the physical side of dealing with corners.

If you sign two midfielders you have a shot, but until then, I can't see any title

We do need to sign Hererra I think, Felliani alone isn't enough to make us favourites for league. But regardless even without a signing we're ahead of Spurs and Arsenal; this isn't Fifa 13 and we are too early in the season to be written off.
Original post by jam277
Yet when I say this is what happens all the time on their thread I get berated for it...

They're a hilarious bunch. They do this every season. They tend to start well and start talking **** to everyone else. Then things finally dawn on them that their team isn't as good as they thought it was. There were just complaints 2 weeks ago about not having enough players. They've brought in Flamini. Probably Ozil, too, if that goes through. Ozil is a very good player, but is he enough to turn them into contenders? They still haven't bought a new goalkeeper or striker.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ish90an
Aguero and maybe Negredo(hasn't played enough in PL to be judged yet IMHO) are good(former being one certainly on par with Rooney), but Jovetic hasn't even played a game this season and Dzeko wants to but isn't good enough to start. Silva was a shadow of a player last season and Pellegrini seems to play Yaya deeper than Mancini did.

Rio and Vidic's play last season didn't indicate them being past their prime.
Evans was very solid last year with Rio and Smalling and Jones should also give cover if needed. De Gea is better than Joe "best in the world TM" Hart, Lloris and Szczesny and in the league only Cech and maybe Begovic are better, he can make top saves, distribute well, comfortable with the ball and has come a long way on handling the physical side of dealing with corners.

We do need to sign Hererra I think, Felliani alone isn't enough to make us favourites for league. But regardless even without a signing we're ahead of Spurs and Arsenal; this isn't Fifa 13 and we are too early in the season to be written off.

Bit of a TSR rook so don't know how to break up the text :P
I agree the adjustment in tactics at City could be destructive, but, then again, United have also only been playing with 2 strikers, Hernandez hardly gets a start.

Vidic may still have a few years left, but Rio is certainly near the end (isn't that why that prick couldn't play for England?)

De Gea is no where near Lloris, I'm sorry, but Lloris is a classy keeper. Hart seems off atm, but on their days I would still choose Hart.

You say United can't be written off, whilst at the same time, preceding to write Arsenal off? Funny tactic but there you go
Herrera is looking quite unlikely atm, due to travel problems (i.e. hes on the other side of the world).

I disagree, look at Ozil, he is getting his medical in Germany, i wouldn't rule Herrera off the board just yet.
De Gea is no where near Lloris, I'm sorry, but Lloris is a classy keeper. Hart seems off atm, but on their days I would still choose Hart.

This is how I know you're trolling. Hart has been in horrible form over a year. De Gea was one of our best players last season. He has been far better than Hart. If you would choose Hart, you don't watch United and City games.
Fellaini spotted on his way out of Everton and to United for his medical...

Original post by Cutmeloose
Haha, yes, I'm sure you'll get the best years of his career.

Don't cry if after two trophyless seasons at Arsenal, he's angling away for a move to Bayern Munich.

For him to go from one of the top 2 teams in Spain to the 4/5 team in England can only mean one thing. He never had a better offer, odds are he'll have one eye on the exit door if your trophy less spell continues.

Meh, I think it's too early to start talking about him leaving, he hasn't even joined yet :P Don't forget Arsenal are still a youngish squad, I think people are underestimating us (we've had a very strong end to last season, a good pre season and baring Villa, an OK start to this season).

Don't forget we beat Bayern on their own turf, Chelsea didn't in 90 minutes and we only lost on away goals.

We had the second best defensive record last year and Giroud is a changed man from the looks of it.

I know everyone has already written us off, and I'm certainly not saying we're the team to beat, but we have a chance of getting some silverwear this year, if not being up there for the title at some point this season, even if we do fade away.
Finally Moyes gets someone! I was scared!
Reply 9571
Meh, I think it's too early to start talking about him leaving, he hasn't even joined yet :P Don't forget Arsenal are still a youngish squad, I think people are underestimating us (we've had a very strong end to last season, a good pre season and baring Villa, an OK start to this season).

Don't forget we beat Bayern on their own turf, Chelsea didn't in 90 minutes and we only lost on away goals.

We had the second best defensive record last year and Giroud is a changed man from the looks of it.

I know everyone has already written us off, and I'm certainly not saying we're the team to beat, but we have a chance of getting some silverwear this year, if not being up there for the title at some point this season, even if we do fade away.

I think most of your posts are bull**** but I have to agree that people have written off Arsenal prematurely. I still think they are top 4 team
Original post by _Morsey_
I disagree, look at Ozil, he is getting his medical in Germany, i wouldn't rule Herrera off the board just yet.

True, the Beeb seem to think travel will be a problem and he's the main man at Bilbao, who are also tough negotiators. Ozil isn't a major player at Real it appears, and lets face it, Real aren't exactly the best negotiators, considering the amound paid for a certain Welshman...
Original post by NathanW18
This is how I know you're trolling. Hart has been in horrible form over a year. De Gea was one of our best players last season. He has been far better than Hart. If you would choose Hart, you don't watch United and City games.

So are you a troll as you though De Gea is better than Lloris. Clearly you don't watch Tottenham games.

Hart has been dodgy definitely, lack of competition, but I still would say on his day he is better
Bit of a TSR rook so don't know how to break up the text :P
I agree the adjustment in tactics at City could be destructive, but, then again, United have also only been playing with 2 strikers, Hernandez hardly gets a start.

Hernandez is an impact sub and sometimes starts with Rooney/RVP supporting. But more importantly, he doesn't moan about it and still gets 10-15 a season.

Vidic may still have a few years left, but Rio is certainly near the end (isn't that why that prick couldn't play for England?)

Rio prolonged his career by not playing for England(and frankly I am glad he doesn't play in that vitriolic stuck-in-the-dark-ages garbage shambles) like Scholes before him. He has atleast 1-2 more top seasons in him and Evans has proven to be more than capable at the top level.

Hart has been poor for over an year, if De Gea had made half the errors Hart has in the past year the press would have slaughtered him(as they tried when he first arrived and he's since bulked up and since his performances in the 2nd half of the 2011-12 season shut them up). De Gea > Hart any day.

You say United can't be written off, whilst at the same time, preceding to write Arsenal off? Funny tactic but there you go

I am not writing Arsenal off, they will be fighting for top 4 spot with Spurs and maybe Liverpool (and certainly Ozil will help though they still lack strikers) but they are not, just like they haven't since 2007-08, in the race for the title and United are.
Original post by Sami'
I think most of your posts are bull**** but I have to agree that people have written off Arsenal prematurely. I still think they are top 4 team

Well, agree to disagree then, tbh the points that have been put to me by some of you guys has made me laugh.

The standard at the top is high this year, but there's already been some shock results. Tbh, I don't think any of the top 6 are dead certain of a top 4, though you'd definitely put your money on City and Chelsea getting top 4
So are you a troll as you though De Gea is better than Lloris. Clearly you don't watch Tottenham games.

Hart has been dodgy definitely, lack of competition, but I still would say on his day he is better

Never said De Gea was better than Lloris. I would still have De Gea as he is the best young keeper in the world.

No, he isn't.
Reply 9577
It's pretty easy to write Arsenal off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scrappy debate but there isn't a better keeper in the league than De Gea, there are fluctuations in form from match to match but he's as good as anyone else in the league. Begovic is over rated, he had a good season with the classic midtable highlights reel of reflex saves. Becuase he plays for Stoke the mistakes get glossed over, got beaten from range at Pool where just flopped over, and then just inside at his near post by Chamakh. If he wasn't playing for Stoke he'd be getting the blame for both of those.

Belgian national team tweeting about Fellaini not training with them and meeting up later.
Original post by Sami'
Manchester United becoming a mediocre team?

well, i'm sure the liverpool team of the 80s at the time wouldn't have put mediocre and themselves in the same sentence. Look what happened in the 90s/2000s. Mediocrity by united standards, is challenging for 4th every year. There is a great chance that may happen in a few years.

All this talk of having a strong squad is all for the here and now. Like I said, Fer is old. Vidic is old. Someone on this thread tried to use the exam of Zanetti...the italian league is far weaker and for so many other reasons. I guess my problem is i want to see a team being built for the future, with young talent being given a chance...when you want to spend £25+ m on a player like Fellani who, arguably plays the same position as Ozil...eyebrows have to be raised.

But yh, I'm overreacting. My club is a top club, hence I compare it to what other top clubs/managers are doing in Europe. I guess we have a totally different transfer policy to the like of PSG,City, Chelsea and to a certain extent Bayern...but the managers at this club don't wait around seeing what the current crop of players are made of..they strengthen. All rabble as per usual

Latest