The Student Room Group

Cambridge med school

I managed to get 95% average in Chem, 92.5% average in Maths (Did whole A-level in 1 year, getting an A*), a 84.3% in Bio, and 71% in Econ, getting me a B. Does this mean that I have a very slim chance of Cambridge? I mean, Econ isn't related to Med, and my teachers were confident that I'd get an A* next year at A2, so a B was disappointing.

I know some people say you need a 9-95% average across all modules , but does this include unrelated subjects? And I know I got quite low in Bio compared to most other Cambridge applicants, but that was practically due to my practicals (46/60) and F212 (126/150).

I'm happy regarding my results, but any help regarding Cambridge application will be helpful.

Obviously, I'll be discussing with my teachers in September, but I just wanna get a rough idea :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by habs10
I managed to get 95% average in Chem, 92.5% average in Maths (Did whole A-level in 1 year, getting an A*), a 84.3% in Bio, and 71% in Econ, getting me a B. Does this mean that I have a very slim chance of Cambridge? I mean, Econ isn't related to Med, and my teachers were confident that I'd get an A* next year at A2, so a B was disappointing.

I know some people say you need a 9-95% average across all modules , but does this include unrelated subjects? And I know I got quite low in Bio compared to most other Cambridge applicants, but that was practically due to my practicals (46/60) and F212 (126/150).

I'm happy regarding my results, but any help regarding Cambridge application will be helpful.

Obviously, I'll be discussing with my teachers in September, but I just wanna get a rough idea :smile:

Cambridge are adamant about you getting 99%+ in every single AS module you sit. That includes economics. Why do you want to be at Cambridge anyway? (Nothing against it just checking you aren't a prestige hunter)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by habs10

They want it over the three most relevant subjects. Yours is just over 90% ignoring economics, which is below average, but then people obviously get in with slightly below average grades every year! If you want to apply then go for it.
Reply 3
Original post by DutchyBoy
Cambridge are adamant about you getting 99%+ in every single AS module you sit. That includes economics. Why do you want to be at Cambridge anyway? (Nothing against it just checking you aren't a prestige hunter)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry i meant 90%+ not 99%+...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habs10

Congrats on your results firstly.

Secondly, for Cambridge it seems their focus is on UMS, then BMAT. So although your UMS is below average (average offer holder for medicine has 96% UMS) if you perform well at BMAT then you might get in. For example my UMS was pretty rubbish by Cambridge standards (88%) and I very nearly got an offer due to a decent BMAT and interview performance.

At the end of the day for medicine the important part is getting in somewhere, so play to your strengths. If you think you can get a decent BMAT then by all means apply to Cambridge but do not do it just to say 'Yeah I went to Cambridge'.
Reply 5
Original post by Muppet Science
Congrats on your results firstly.

Secondly, for Cambridge it seems their focus is on UMS, then BMAT. So although your UMS is below average (average offer holder for medicine has 96% UMS) if you perform well at BMAT then you might get in. For example my UMS was pretty rubbish by Cambridge standards (88%) and I very nearly got an offer due to a decent BMAT and interview performance.

At the end of the day for medicine the important part is getting in somewhere, so play to your strengths. If you think you can get a decent BMAT then by all means apply to Cambridge but do not do it just to say 'Yeah I went to Cambridge'.

I know it's a bit late, but how do you know that you almost got an offer? :redface:

Also, what would constitute as a decent BMAT? Thanks btw
Original post by habs10
I know it's a bit late, but how do you know that you almost got an offer? :redface:

Also, what would constitute as a decent BMAT? Thanks btw

My school asked for feedback on my behalf, so my UCAS tutor had a chat with one of the admissions tutors who said so :smile:

Decent BMAT varies from year to year but 5.0 is average (for those who sit the BMAT) and 6.0 is considered a very good score, a 7.0 is an excellent score.
Reply 7
Original post by Muppet Science
My school asked for feedback on my behalf, so my UCAS tutor had a chat with one of the admissions tutors who said so :smile:

Decent BMAT varies from year to year but 5.0 is average (for those who sit the BMAT) and 6.0 is considered a very good score, a 7.0 is an excellent score.

Ah unlucky ;/, where are you at now? Thanks btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habs10
Ah unlucky ;/, where are you at now? Thanks btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cardiff :smile: no worries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending