The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBrownWizard
yea i went to the open days in summer which I was going to apply to but changed my mind as i got a better ukcat score than expected, but the open days then were so much better and more informative. However leicester uni itself is soo nice!

Yeah the uni itself did seem nice. I am still going to apply I was just hoping to learn a little bit more about what the course was actually like.
Reply 281
Original post by A random human
Hi, I may apply hear this year. My score is 57/60. Do you think they will raise the cut off this year?

To be honest, I think it is 50/50 on it rising to 58. But if this does happen those with 57 will get the rest of the interviews which there may be a lot of. I've just emailed them to find out what percentage of those with 56 scores got interviews last year which will help us know how close it was to 57 being the boundary score. :smile:

Original post by Amyk89
I think you have a fairly decent chance. The cut off has been 57 the last two years so even if it rises by one you should be ok.

Just wondering how you know the cut-off was 57 two years ago because the speculation in last year's thread was that it was 55 previously. I've just emailed them to find out what 2011 and 2012 cut-off scores were. :smile:

Original post by TheBrownWizard
I think I have a score of 58 not sure, i got 29 points from my 5 a* and a at gcse, that gives me 29 but I can use of one of my a's at AS to make that 30. Then I got 2860 in the ukcat so that's 28. Total of 58? Correct me if I have made a mistake please :P What are the chances of me getting an interview?

Your chances of interview are very high. It's sooo unlikely to go up by 2 points and even in that event you'd have a chance of interview if your PS is decent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by k1rby
To be honest, I think it is 50/50 on it rising to 58. But if this does happen those with 57 will get the rest of the interviews which there may be a lot of. I've just emailed them to find out what percentage of those with 56 scores got interviews last year which will help us know how close it was to 57 being the boundary score. :smile:

Just wondering how you know the cut-off was 57 two years ago because the speculation in last year's thread was that it was 55 previously. I've just emailed them to find out what 2011 and 2012 cut-off scores were. :smile:

The admissions woman who gave the talk at the open day today told us that it has been 57 the last two years
Reply 283
Original post by Amyk89
The admissions woman who gave the talk at the open day today told us that it has been 57 the last two years

Oh okay, I don't know whether that's good or bad because if they said that at the open day then more people with 57 or over will apply!
Original post by k1rby
Oh okay, I don't know whether that's good or bad because if they said that at the open day then more people with 57 or over will apply!

Depends how many will go on to apply. Heard some people talking about not liking Leicester. Plus there were only a couple of hundred people (including a lot of parents) so not many out of the total applicants. Plus I think this forum shows how little people can know about medicine and medical schools (and that is from the people who hunt out this forum) so I would imagine plenty of lower scores will apply.
Reply 285
Original post by Amyk89
Depends how many will go on to apply. Heard some people talking about not liking Leicester. Plus there were only a couple of hundred people (including a lot of parents) so not many out of the total applicants. Plus I think this forum shows how little people can know about medicine and medical schools (and that is from the people who hunt out this forum) so I would imagine plenty of lower scores will apply.

I'm hoping so for all you 56s and 57s out there
Original post by k1rby
I'm hoping so for all you 56s and 57s out there

I'm a grad so the rules are a little more ambiguous for me
another 57 here . Lets hope for the best people.
Urgent question. Does AS level grade get counted too?

GCSE's = 26 points
UKCAT = 28 points
A Level = 3 (AAA)
AS Level = 1 (A)

wait...

ulvn.jpg

What.... So wait, i have already achieved an A at A level but it doesn't count as any points :/ So really i dont have any points for A levels

from this doc

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A100Scoringupdated22Aug13incSJT.pdf

Terrible. Its so easy to get an A at AS compared to getting an A* at A2.
Reply 289
Original post by A random human
Urgent question. Does AS level grade get counted too?

GCSE's = 26 points
UKCAT = 28 points
A Level = 3 (AAA)
AS Level = 1 (A)

wait...

ulvn.jpg

What.... So wait, i have already achieved an A at A level but it doesn't count as any points :/ So really i dont have any points for A levels

from this doc

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A100Scoringupdated22Aug13incSJT.pdf

Terrible. Its so easy to get an A at AS compared to getting an A* at A2.

It's because everyone applying with achieved grades will have AAA. That really sucks for you though :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by k1rby
It's because everyone applying with achieved grades will have AAA and As from AS level. That really sucks for you though :frown:

Haha. Well that's life, especially when you're applying med.
Really love Leicester University. I think the approach to the course here is excellent and am really excited to be applying here! Nervous about the MMI approach to interviews, although I'm sure a lot of practice will help! Good luck to all everyone else! (To those who have been asking I reckon 57/60 should be ok, especially if you think your PS is reasonable).
Reply 292
According to the Good University Guide 2014 published by The Sunday Times, Leicester is the runner up for the university of the year! And I can see why, its pretty amazing.

Can anybody just double check what 'points' I have, I think I counted 58, but reading this thread is confusing me on what to include.

Here after my stats:
GCSE: A* in maths, statistics, humanities, business studies, English lit, English lang, Biology, Chemistry, French, Spanish.
A in Physics and DT

A Level: AAAA (bio chem econ and maths)

UKCAT: 2880

Many Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 293
Original post by KanKan
According to the Good University Guide 2014 published by The Sunday Times, Leicester is the runner up for the university of the year! And I can see why, its pretty amazing.

Can anybody just double check what 'points' I have, I think I counted 58, but reading this thread is confusing me on what to include.

Here after my stats:
GCSE: A* in maths, statistics, humanities, business studies, English lit, English lang, Biology, Chemistry, French, Spanish.
A in Physics and DT

Many Thanks

Yep you've got 58 :smile:

(congratulations on the amazing GCSE and AS level grades :tongue: )
Reply 294
Original post by k1rby
Yep you've got 58 :smile:

(congratulations on the amazing GCSE and AS level grades :tongue: )

hehe thanks! I used to be really proud of the achievement, but looking on TSR is one of the most demoralizing things I could've done .. seing people with 14A* and 100% average UMS on A levels (like really?!)

I'm really excited about applying here - I feel like a fanboy waiting for some game to be released :P

Are you guys doing anything to prepare for the interviews?
Any other grads applying here?
Reply 296
Original post by Amyk89
Any other grads applying here?

Yeah, a fellow nurse in fact. Well, I'm toying with the idea of applying. I only score 49/60 if I went for the 5 year programme. I score 11/25 for grad entry, so was gunna go for it as I have few other options and have the year in a caring role requirement.

Are you applying for the 4 or 5 year programme?
Original post by Slsam
Yeah, a fellow nurse in fact. Well, I'm toying with the idea of applying. I only score 49/60 if I went for the 5 year programme. I score 11/25 for grad entry, so was gunna go for it as I have few other options and have the year in a caring role requirement.

Are you applying for the 4 or 5 year programme?

I am thinking of doing both. I want a 5 year in there as a back up and I score well on Leicester (and it would be local enough to live at home).

I wouldn't apply for 5 year if I were you, only because I know you will most likely need 57+. For the 4 year they use your PS and reference more so its less of a competitive cut off so it would be worth a go.
Reply 298
Original post by Amyk89
I am thinking of doing both. I want a 5 year in there as a back up and I score well on Leicester (and it would be local enough to live at home).

I wouldn't apply for 5 year if I were you, only because I know you will most likely need 57+. For the 4 year they use your PS and reference more so its less of a competitive cut off so it would be worth a go.

Yeah, I wasn't even going to bother with the 5 year. It's the 4 year I'm unsure about, but yeah, hopefully I stand a chance to get an interview at least.

Good luck :smile: Where else are you applying? Feel free to send me a pm, I feel bad hijacking the thread otherwise.
Reply 299
Original post by KanKan

Here after my stats:
A in Physics and DT

Many Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Hi, What kind of things did the article say?

I am thinking about applying to Leicester, but I don't understand the point system, could someone please explain it?
I'm a gap year applicant,
A Levels 4A*s
GCSEs 8A*s and 4As
UKCAT 2800 average

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending