The Student Room Group

Why are some engineering 5 years and other 4 etc?

I have been looking through some universities I might want to go to to do Electronic Engineering at right now I'm looking at Uni of Birmingham, of Nottingham and of Leicester. Looking at the MEng courses, Birmingham and Nottingham as well as others are 4 Year courses including a year in industry. So why is Leicester a 5 year course including year in industry? Does it mean Leicester will be less intense as the course is spread out over another year or does it mean that we will learn more? Please some one explain (Also please recommend one if possible). :smile:
Reply 1
3 Years for a BEng
4 Years for a MEng
5 Years for a Meng with a a years gap (working in industry)
or 4 Years for a BEng with a years gap.

Make sense? :biggrin:
Reply 2
MEng over 4 years with a placement year included?

It should be 4 years for the MEng by itself.

Do you have a link to those pages? Perhaps they include the placement as an optional extra instead of labelling it on the course page. I would suspect it be 5 years for MEng + placement though. I started a BEng and in the first week they told us that we'd be put down by default as full time students on a sandwich course, so the option to do a placement was still open... It just wasn't advertised as "BEng Engineering with year in industry" on the website.
Reply 3
Year extra if the course is in Scotland (at least that applies for civil engineering)... unless you have really good grades and enter 2nd year.
Reply 4
Original post by SillyEddy
MEng over 4 years with a placement year included?

It should be 4 years for the MEng by itself.

Do you have a link to those pages? Perhaps they include the placement as an optional extra instead of labelling it on the course page. I would suspect it be 5 years for MEng + placement though. I started a BEng and in the first week they told us that we'd be put down by default as full time students on a sandwich course, so the option to do a placement was still open... It just wasn't advertised as "BEng Engineering with year in industry" on the website.

Aston is the only university I know which offers an accelerated MEng: LINK

Quick Reply

Latest