The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Has anyone received a confirmation email from here yet? I sent my application off two weeks ago and still haven't. I'm starting to get concerned.
Original post by games211
Why do graduates apply for the 5 year course? Just wondering?

I guess it goes down to personal preference, involving intensity of the course; The A101 is more intensive, and difficulty in getting in; the A100 is generally easier for graduates to be invited to interview (The cut off is much lower).

For me, it's to maximise my chances of being accepted at Barts; I have also applied for the A101.

Original post by Cephalosporin
Accelerated courses are more geared towards highly qualified professionals in biomedical sciences/health sciences/clinical sciences (although this is a bit of a generalisation. Most applicants are science graduates but not necessarily in the medical sciences). Arts/humanities graduates often prefer standard A100 courses just so that they won't have to learn all the hard science in the short span of a year like most graduate entry medics have to in their first year.

Also... it is (arguably) easier to get into A100 than GEP but that's not always true. I think it's just down to personal preference.

You are quite right!

Original post by Don Jesu
I'm a graduate applicant applying for the 5-year MBBS program Maximus, so it's A100 for me :smile:

I managed to get 765 (band 2 for SJT), but just hope their cut-off doesn't sky rocket. The average this year for the UKCAT seems to have risen :s

where did you study Biomed buddy?

From the University of Westminster.

You have a high UKCAT score! (>10 Decile), I'm sure you would have had an interview for their A101 programme Jesu

Original post by games211
How do you know the intake is high, if you dont mind me asking?

The number of places for the two different courses are as follows:

A101: 40
A100: 260 (of which 56 were graduates for 2013 cycle).

Generally there are more graduates on the A100, as opposed to the A101.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 442
Original post by General Maximus
I guess it goes down to personal preference, involving intensity of the course; The A101 is more intensive, and difficulty in getting in; the A100 is generally easier for graduates to be invited to interview (The cut off is much lower).

For me, it's to maximise my chances of being accepted at Barts; I have also applied for the A101.

You are quite right!

From the University of Westminster.

You have a high UKCAT score! (>10 Decile), I'm sure you would have had an interview for their A101 programme Jesu

The number of places for the two different courses are as follows:

A101: 40
A100: 260 (of which 56 were graduates for 2013 cycle).

Generally there are more graduates on the A100, as opposed to the A101.

I didn't want to take the risk Maximus.
So does that mean you'll have 2 interviews for Barts (assuming you meet the cut-off, which you almost definitely will), as opposed to just 1 where they judge you for both courses?
Where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 443
Watching. Can answer any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Jesu
I didn't want to take the risk Maximus.
So does that mean you'll have 2 interviews for Barts (assuming you meet the cut-off, which you almost definitely will), as opposed to just 1 where they judge you for both courses?
Where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

Yes I will be invited to two interviews (if successful). For the GEP Barts invite candidates to a selection centre (where Warwick Medical School are partners).

I've also applied to KCL A100 and Warwick A101.

What about you Jesu?
(edited 10 years ago)

Just to point out that in addition to personal preference financial practicalities will play a role in a grad's choice between A100 and A101 due to the massive differences in funding. I know for me and many others A100 course were not a possibility.
Original post by manupalace
Just to point out that in addition to personal preference financial practicalities will play a role in a grad's choice between A100 and A101 due to the massive differences in funding. I know for me and many others A100 course were not a possibility.

Very true, I just didn't point it out as the question was geared towards why graduates apply for the A100, which financially, as you've mentioned, gives you incentive NOT to apply.

By the way, are the NHS still paying for most of the tuition fee, for the graduate programmes?

Where else have you applied Palace?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 447
Yes I will be invited to two interviews (if successful). For the GEP Barts invite candidates to a selection centre (where Warwick Medical School are partners).

I've also applied to KCL A100 and Warwick A101.

What about you Jesu?

I was almost going to go with the exact same choices as you haha. But in the end, I just thought it was too risky going with Kings and Warwick. I ended up choosing Barts, Hull York, Queens Belfast and Newcastle all A100 courses. From what I heard, they base their interview invitations solely on UKCAT alone since I am a grad.

Warwick would be so good if you got in though, I've heard it has such a great GEP program! :smile:

Is the format for the selection centre interview the same as the Barts A100 one Maximus?
Very true, I just didn't point it out as the question was geared towards why graduates apply for the A100, which financially, as you've mentioned, gives you incentive NOT to apply.

By the way, are the NHS still paying for most of the tuition fee, for the graduate programmes?

Where else have you applied Palace?

Fair enough. Just wanted to put it out there as there are still people unaware of the financial differences.

The NHS cover £3,465 in years 2-4 with the rest of the fee which this year is £5535 covered by student loan (this will increase if the fee increases due to inflation). In year 1 we have to self fund £3465 and get a £5535 student loan. On top of this we get a maintenance loan in year 1 (means tested) and in years 2-4 we get a means tested NHS bursary (which can literally be £0 for some people), £1000 NHS scholarship (I think) and a reduced non means tested maintenance loan.

I'm not an applicant, I'm in my first year of the Imperial grad entry course. I applied to Barts last year for GEM (A101), got to the selection centre but got rejected after that. I'm hanging around to share the (limited) benefit of my experience :redface:
Does anyone know how many people applied to Barts and Warwick this year...If not could someone phone them?? im not at home atm :frown:
My school sent my UCAS off on Monday morning - still haven't got my confirmation e-mail from Barts. This is completely normal right?
Original post by imcreatiff
My school sent my UCAS off on Monday morning - still haven't got my confirmation e-mail from Barts. This is completely normal right?

I don't think that anyone has got a confirmation from barts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babychocolate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I applied 16 days ago, still nothing.
Reply 453
I'm applying to both A100 and A101 :smile: I've risked applying to grad with a UKCAT of 730... which I'm really annoyed about now after seeing how much the average has gone up this year!! Fingers crossed for undergrad interview :ashamed2:
Original post by Cephalosporin
Don't worry, I applied 16 days ago, still nothing.

Original post by babychocolate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thanks guys!
Anyone know when Barts start to interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 456
Original post by DrumChops

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I could see on last years thread and the stalking page, people were being interviewed from January onwards.
Original post by DrumChops

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always a good idea to go to the official universities' websites to get information. If you go to the relevant area of the Barts website, you'll find it's clearly stated that :

'If selected, you will be required to attend a short interview. This will take place at the Whitechapel campus between December and March. We will be holding interviews in Hong Kong and Singapore in January.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/

:smile:
Original post by lovelycup7
It's always a good idea to go to the official universities' websites to get information. If you go to the relevant area of the Barts website, you'll find it's clearly stated that :

'If selected, you will be required to attend a short interview. This will take place at the Whitechapel campus between December and March. We will be holding interviews in Hong Kong and Singapore in January.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/

Guessing Barts still haven't sent out confirmation emails...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending