The Student Room Group

Good a-level combination?

Hi, I'm thinking of taking Mathematics, Biology, Physics and English Literature for A-level next year. Any thoughts? I want to go to university to study biological sciences, if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by milliethemoo
Hi, I'm thinking of taking Mathematics, Biology, Physics and English Literature for A-level next year. Any thoughts? I want to go to university to study biological sciences, if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you :smile:

A good combo, however:
Biochemistry
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Always Chemistry and some universities will say you must have Biology as
well, while some will say Chemistry plus one from Mathematics/Physics/
Biology. Doing Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics or Physics will keep
all Biochemistry courses open to you.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Biology, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics.

Biology
Biology, Chemistry.
Mathematics or Physics.

Biomedical Sciences (including Medical Science)
Normally two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
Chemistry is essential for some courses.
Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics

http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

You probably need chemistry :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
A good combo, however:

http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

You probably need chemistry :smile:

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of :frown:. I just don't find chemistry as interesting as the other sciences, although it probably doesn't help that my chemistry teacher is incredibly boring. I've also heard that chemistry is really hard at a-level and I worry that I won't be able to do as well because it bores me a little.
Reply 3
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of :frown:. I just don't find chemistry as interesting as the other sciences, although it probably doesn't help that my chemistry teacher is incredibly boring. I've also heard that chemistry is really hard at a-level and I worry that I won't be able to do as well because it bores me a little.

Chemistry was my easiest A-level. Just put in the time to remember all of the equations and you'll be fine!

Not only is Chemistry really interesting at a-level but possibly one of the easiest a-levels that are available. Do take Chemistry and enjoy understanding the causes of things and mastering the mysteries of the universe. Not to mention you'll be able to produce intoxicating substances. I now study Chemistry at Oxford; PM me if you have any questions :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Extreme&Violent
Not only is Chemistry really interesting at a-level but possibly one of the easiest a-levels that are available. Do take Chemistry and enjoy understanding the causes of things and mastering the mysteries of the universe. Not to mention you'll be able to produce intoxicating substances. I now study Chemistry at Oxford; PM me if you have any questions :wink:

What college are you at? I'm Univ :tongue:
Original post by Jooooshy
What college are you at? I'm Univ :tongue:

Somerville! Are you also a chemist?
Reply 7
Original post by Extreme&Violent
Somerville! Are you also a chemist?

Hell no. Chemistry is not my thang! I'm a computer scientist :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest