The Student Room Group

applying to two completely different courses at uni?!

So initially i wanted to use all 5 of my ucas choices on applying to primary ed courses... although i dont quite meet the grades because i have AAB i do have lots relevant work experience and am onto my 3rd draft of my personal statement. My year head thinks i should have a back up plan because we both know how competitive a course it is and because i dont have the grades it's going to be touch and go whether i get in but i do have the grades for some art courses such as RGU which is BBC. The thing is my personal statement is heavily directed to primary ed so i dont know how i could change it to make it seem like i'm interested in both courses but not so much that i'm elliminating the other if you get me? i'm thinking of maybe applying to 3 primary ed and 2 art but i'm still not 100%, even if your not doing primary ed or art but your applying to 2 different courses and you've done/ are doing your personal statement then your help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by sophielaur
So initially i wanted to use all 5 of my ucas choices on applying to primary ed courses... although i dont quite meet the grades because i have AAB i do have lots relevant work experience and am onto my 3rd draft of my personal statement. My year head thinks i should have a back up plan because we both know how competitive a course it is and because i dont have the grades it's going to be touch and go whether i get in but i do have the grades for some art courses such as RGU which is BBC. The thing is my personal statement is heavily directed to primary ed so i dont know how i could change it to make it seem like i'm interested in both courses but not so much that i'm elliminating the other if you get me? i'm thinking of maybe applying to 3 primary ed and 2 art but i'm still not 100%, even if your not doing primary ed or art but your applying to 2 different courses and you've done/ are doing your personal statement then your help would be much appreciated.

Hello,

I think I can help a little here.

What I would advise is to keep your personal statement completely to Primary ed. (although maybe a little reference to your creativity or something!)
Then contact the university(s) you are interested in for art and explain your situation. Most of the time they will be fine but will request an additional personal statement (sent by email directly to that university).

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hello,

I think I can help a little here.

What I would advise is to keep your personal statement completely to Primary ed. (although maybe a little reference to your creativity or something!)
Then contact the university(s) you are interested in for art and explain your situation. Most of the time they will be fine but will request an additional personal statement (sent by email directly to that university).

Hope that helps :smile:

Completely agree with this! The only thing I would say is that a friend of mine is applying to courses which will get him into teaching and he is aiming for around BBC at A-level? Suggests to me that not all places want really high grades, so keep looking around!
Original post by carrotstar
Completely agree with this! The only thing I would say is that a friend of mine is applying to courses which will get him into teaching and he is aiming for around BBC at A-level? Suggests to me that not all places want really high grades, so keep looking around!

Aren't A levels equivalent to Advanced Highers though?
Original post by greenladybird

I'm not sure, but I don't know how that would affect this situation?
Reply 5
Original post by greenladybird

Advanced highers are harder than a levels. BBC at a-level equates to ABBC at higher imo. I'm in the same situation, OP, I'm applying for primary ed at Glasgow and strathclyde with ABBBB but want to apply for a business course at strathclyde and caley as well. Just like yourself, I'm not sure whether to alter my personal statement as it's 100% about primary Ed. Confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JimmyGatz
Advanced highers are harder than a levels. BBC at a-level equates to ABBC at higher imo. I'm in the same situation, OP, I'm applying for primary ed at Glasgow and strathclyde with ABBBB but want to apply for a business course at strathclyde and caley as well. Just like yourself, I'm not sure whether to alter my personal statement as it's 100% about primary Ed. Confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad i'm not the only one! Also in relation to the A level course yeah they're a different standard to highers so even if i have an AAB from 5th year for glasgow i will probably need another A and B if not AA which is craaaazy. i'm still just as confused as i was a week ago but now i'm thinkin gof doing 3 primary ed and 2 social sciences? god knows what i'm going to do cause the school deadline is before the xmas holls in a few weeks:frown: I've seen some of my friends personal statements who are applying to various courses and they just make it seem like theyre not interested? so annoying haha
Reply 7
Original post by sophielaur
I'm glad i'm not the only one! Also in relation to the A level course yeah they're a different standard to highers so even if i have an AAB from 5th year for glasgow i will probably need another A and B if not AA which is craaaazy. i'm still just as confused as i was a week ago but now i'm thinkin gof doing 3 primary ed and 2 social sciences? god knows what i'm going to do cause the school deadline is before the xmas holls in a few weeks:frown: I've seen some of my friends personal statements who are applying to various courses and they just make it seem like theyre not interested? so annoying haha

I am in the exact same situation as you! I gave my personal statement to the teacher in the primary school class I'm helping and hopefully she'll be able to assist me in some way... Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending