The Student Room Group

changing course after one year student finance entitlement

Heeeeey

I'm in the process of trying to change course after the first year to a different subject, which is a two-year accelerated degree. I've heard that you receive duration of original course + one year of funding. So I'd have two years left on the original course, as well as the second.

Does this mean I'd still have enough funding from SF to cover the course change?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by PC-23
Heeeeey

I'm in the process of trying to change course after the first year to a different subject, which is a two-year accelerated degree. I've heard that you receive duration of original course + one year of funding. So I'd have two years left on the original course, as well as the second.

Does this mean I'd still have enough funding from SF to cover the course change?

Hi there, Do you only have 1 year of previous study? And the new course is 2 years in length is that correct? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Do you only have 1 year of previous study? And the new course is 2 years in length is that correct? Thanks, Angela

I had to finish the foundation year over two years, due to circumstances out of my control during the lockdown period. Then I have just finished the first year, so that's three years in total of funding that I have used. The new course is two years, correct.
Original post by PC-23
I had to finish the foundation year over two years, due to circumstances out of my control during the lockdown period. Then I have just finished the first year, so that's three years in total of funding that I have used. The new course is two years, correct.

H there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending