The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Just because somebody shouts the loudest does not make them more convincing. I doubt anybody in the audience pressed the bigot on her party's lies to the Scottish public or why she sees fit to take the vote from 16 and 17 year olds after the referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She won because she refuted his points and he was unable to to answer his. Stop your unionist lies and down playing of subjects. and how is she a bigot?

You never even watched it so how can you comment?
Original post by Left Hand Drive
She won because she refuted his points and he was unable to to answer his. Stop your unionist lies and down playing of subjects. and how is she a bigot?

One cannot fathom the mindset of someone who harks on about others spouting 'union lies' whilst simultaneously sporting an EU flag in their avatar. It would require a suspension of logic akin to believing 2+2=3 and 5 at the same time.

Sometimes, I wonder if 'independence' actually means anything to Scottish nationalists, or if they've realised how a weak a cause it is and have resigned themselves to rule from some distance city, providing it's Brussels rather than London. I think to many, including the quoted poster, it's just a word they want to be able to use more often, regardless of how far flung from reality it is.
(edited 10 years ago)

It is a fact that 16-17 year olds are only being allowed to vote in the referendum and never again. It is also a fact that Alex Salmond lied to the public on his legal advice for EU membership. It seems that when a Scottish politician lies there's nothing wrong with it.

As for bigotry, could you point me to the last time Wales or Northern Ireland got mentioned by her or any Yes campaigner? It is incessantly about London or England's south east-not to mention the white paper proposal to defy EU law so RUK students are still charged tuition fees.

She and fellow bigot Salmond always go red in the face when talking about independence but never anything else. It shows that for them breaking the union is a personal agenda that they will say anything to achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4423
Original post by L i b
Indeed - but I think we all know why the SNP, despite pressure from opposition parties, have never talked to them before: they won't like the answer.

From the article.

In London yesterday, Mr Carney was asked if he had held talks with the SNP government on the proposal. He said: “I have not had any discussions with members of the Scottish Government. My predecessor did have some basic discussions with Mr Salmond. I certainly welcome the opportunity to have those discussions.”

A spokesperson for the First Minister said last night: “Scottish Government officials have already had technical discussions with their counterparts at the Bank of England to assist the Fiscal Commission with their work, including the publication of their report on a macroeconomic framework for an independent Scotland, which includes proposals for a shared sterling area.

“The First Minister met the previous governor of the Bank before and after those technical discussions and he looks forward to meeting the new governor in due course.”
Reply 4424
Original post by R-KAM
From the article.

I'm quite interested in that. Because earlier this year, the Bank of England responded in a well-publicised FOI response that they hadn't had any conversations, contact or correspondence with the Scottish Government over independence issues.

That may have changed subsequently, but if it was over a longer course then someone's been, to put it mildly, inaccurate.
Original post by Midlander
Just because somebody shouts the loudest does not make them more convincing. I doubt anybody in the audience pressed the bigot on her party's lies to the Scottish public or why she sees fit to take the vote from 16 and 17 year olds after the referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you even watched it? She answered her questions very well, whereas Mr carrmichael did not. He didn't know which way was up, constantly contradicting himself.

Thats it... tell a minimum of 30% of the scottish population that independence is just a word.... you don't seem to understand how strongly we feel. How much hope we have. How correct we feel. How good we think this country could really be!

Just call it a word. We will see how long you think its just a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by navarre
One cannot fathom the mindset of someone who harks on about others spouting 'union lies' whilst simultaneously sporting an EU flag in their avatar. It would require a suspension of logic akin to believing 2+2=3 and 5 at the same time.

Sometimes, I wonder if 'independence' actually means anything to Scottish nationalists, or if they've realised how a weak a cause it is and have resigned themselves to rule from some distance city, providing it's Brussels rather than London. I think to many, including the quoted poster, it's just a word they want to be able to use more often, regardless of how far flung from reality it is.

Have you even watched it? She answered her questions very well, whereas Mr carrmichael did not. He didn't know which way was up, constantly contradicting himself.

Thats it... tell a minimum of 30% of the scottish population that independence is just a word.... you don't seem to understand how strongly we feel. How much hope we have. How correct we feel. How good we think this country could really be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1tartanarmy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, hating England is indeed an activity which unites gullible Scottish nationalists. Unfortunately it doesn't make the SNP any more competent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All she kept saying was, "Who do you believe should govern Scotland, Westminster or Scotland?" What she failed to take into consideration is the European Union, Scotland will never get majority there, and yet the question of joining the European Union will not take place in Scotland if it leaves.

This to me makes no logically sense, in one hand you're saying we want to make our own laws, and in another you're saying it's okay. I am baffled.
(edited 10 years ago)
Independence and freedom is not a bad thing, Scotland and it's people have the right to government themselves just as any other people on this earth.I laugh at all these free-palestine people but are against the SNP.
Have we not ran a surplus? Also that deficit is smaller than the rest of the UK

Nope

The SNPs figures for deficits are a little misleading though. They tend to ignore a lot of factors.
(edited 10 years ago)

Bank of England are happy to have talks. My brother was happy to enter talks with his ex wife......he still claimed he'd rather burn everything the give her anything.

Do yourself a favour and read the actual article.
What do Scotland need to be kept safe from exactly? who is going to attack them? my history isn't that great but aren't the English the only people who ever attacked Scotland?
Scotland ran a surplus in 05-06 and 06-07 Lib actually knows that. I remember speaking to him about that before.

I mean as a percentage of GDP you knew don't act like a fool

Was this with the additional funding from the Barnett formula and before our premier bank crashed out?
Original post by navarre

Original post by FinalMH
All she kept saying was, "Who do you believe should govern Scotland, Westminster or Scotland?" What she failed to take into consideration is the European Union, Scotland will never get majority there, and yet the question of joining the European Union will not take place in Scotland if it leaves.

This to me makes no logically sense, in one hand you're saying we want to make our own laws, and in another you're saying it's okay. I am baffled.

Is France or Germany not independent?
Original post by ZionismSucks
What do Scotland need to be kept safe from exactly? who is going to attack them? my history isn't that great but aren't the English the only people who ever attacked Scotland?

You are quite right; your history isn't that great. You must be thinking of the countries that Scotland has attacked rather than the ones that have attacked Scotland. Modern Scottish territory has been attacked by people from modern England, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and France.
Original post by ZionismSucks

With a name like yours I can think of one particular grouping. They tried to hit Glasgow airport. He got sent home..... Well actually he died after getting his b***s kicked in whilst on fire

Why not ask about basque or Bavaria?

On the matter of the currency (which is the point really) the difference between Germany and France on the one hand and an independent Scotland on the other, is that those two countries have meaningful influence over currency policy whereas the latter won't.
Reply 4439

I imagine not really, if you're a nationalist. In reality, there's probably an element of sliding scale - but when you've got a body whose parliament can laws for your country and whose laws have legal primacy over your national laws, then it's probably safe to say you're not really constitutionally autonomous.

Latest

Trending

Trending