The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by rebeccalrose
Which subjects would you want to do? Maths studies (which I'm doing now) is somewhere between the difficulty of GCSE maths and AS maths, but you have 2 years to study it, so unless you are failing Maths GCSE, it will be fine:smile: And thanks!

More to humanities, maybe environmental science for the science area, and maths studies for the maths area. if I'm taking a levels, most probably ill take all humanities subjects, coz my maths isn't that good though :P
So basically the math studies is something like basic maths in higher level education? Which science sub did u take? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by AquisM
As said, CAS will definitely take 150 hours minimum. You just have to continuously do activities throuhjout the two years. If you have any hobbies like playing an instrument or train for basketball, then you've pretty much sorted at least a third of it. It's quite fun to learn new thinfs and participate in new activities.

I am in Year 2 right now, and I'm acutally from Hong Kong :wink:. Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? Anyway, definitely do thorough research of both IB and potential colleges you want to go to. You wouldn't waste your two last years of secondary school because you couldn't be bothered to use Google. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me here or PM me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So CAS is kind of a form of co-curricular activities in high school but you do get marks from it?
Oh great! :smile: I'm from Malaysia :smile: well actually I did apply for the St Paul's Co educational college's scholarship to do the IB prep year last year, but parents were worried about me going overseas all of a sudden. So I did not continue with the interview for the application. By the way thank you so much for your help! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Yuanqii
So CAS is kind of a form of co-curricular activities in high school but you do get marks from it?
Oh great! :smile: I'm from Malaysia :smile: well actually I did apply for the St Paul's Co educational college's scholarship to do the IB prep year last year, but parents were worried about me going overseas all of a sudden. So I did not continue with the interview for the application. By the way thank you so much for your help! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically yeah. CAS means creativity, action, service. Throughout your IB you have to continuously participate in activities that are artistic (creativity - could be anything from playing an instrument and dancing to photography lessons and learning a language), sporty (action - rock-climbing, basketball, skydiving, anything that makes you sweat), or giving to the community (service - volunteering or organising charities etc.). You have to find something meaningful to do and reflect upon the experiences you gain. If you complete all the requirements you pass CAS, if you don't you fail CAS and subsequent your IB Diploma.

Oh I see! Malaysia's an amazing country (love the food there)! No problem, glad to be of help. :biggrin:
Reply 63
Well they're both good. But I'd say time-management wise the IB is more difficult while content wise the A-Levels are more difficult. People say the IB is harder because it requires you to be super organized otherwise you're just gonna be overloaded with work and end up having to deal with extreme stress. On the other hand A-levels are more difficult content-wise due to teachers having to teach 2 years worth of material in just 3 subjects as opposed to IB's 6 subjects. IB also has subjects like TOK(Theory of Knowledge) and EE(Extended essay) which just adds on to the pressure. Overall I'd say the IB is harder simply because of the quantity of work and the depression that can be caused by it, which students must overcome by possessing indomitable will.
Reply 64
If i plan to got to the US or Canada for university which would it be better to do? Ib or a level (currently doing IGCSE)? Keep in mind that the a level are CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) which are much harder than the British GCE A levels. I also intend to do the ACT several times to score high enough as well as 2 SAT II subject tests (requirement for us unis :/).

Here are the subjects i'd choose:

A Level Subjects
-Maths (Its compulsory to do M1 in my school which is a major turn off for me as i haven't done physics for IGCSE)
-Economics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science/ICT

IB Subjects:
-HL Maths
-HL ITGS
-HL Economics
-SL English Language & Literature
-SL Ab initio Spanish/Arabic B
-SL Environmental Systems & societies
I'm currently doing the IB. And I regret picking it over A-Levels so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
None of the universities I've applied to do this, and any that do simply don't understand the IB. It's quite easy to find the ones that do understand the IB, and then you can simply apply there.
:smile:

Oxbridge, LSE, King's, Bristol, and Soas are universities that "dont understand IB" then. They see AAA as 766 and A*AA as 776.

...And the above universities are only the ones that I took the time to mention. There are many more like this.

But no worries, I can "easily" find other universities that understand IB.
:confused:

I dont mean to come off bitchy, but it's true that IB students are disadvantaged when it comes to top tier universities.
Reply 67
Original post by pbunny
If i plan to got to the US or Canada for university which would it be better to do? Ib or a level (currently doing IGCSE)? Keep in mind that the a level are CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) which are much harder than the British GCE A levels. I also intend to do the ACT several times to score high enough as well as 2 SAT II subject tests (requirement for us unis :/).

A Level Subjects
-Maths (Its compulsory to do M1 in my school which is a major turn off for me as i haven't done physics for IGCSE)
-Economics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science/ICT

IB Subjects:
-HL Maths
-HL ITGS
-HL Economics

If you're planning to go to the US, I'd do IB. I believe they understand A Levels even less and won't appreciate the CIE ones at their true value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zettel
Oxbridge, LSE, King's, Bristol, and Soas are universities that "dont understand IB" then. They see AAA as 766 and A*AA as 776.

...And the above universities are only the ones that I took the time to mention. There are many more like this.

I dont mean to come off bitchy, but it's true that IB students are disadvantaged when it comes to top tier universities.

(All for Law)
Oxford- 38 with 6,6,6
Bristol- 37 (35 if from 'disadvantaged' school) with 6,6,6
King's- 7,6,6, true but only 35 overall, so can focus on highers
LSE- 38 with 6,6,6
Cambridge- They are the bitches of the bunch, asking for 40 ish with 7,7,6. (Hence I applied for Oxford instead..)

An advantage for IB students is the early results day (5th July) leaving more time to negotiate with Unis and avoid the A-level rush.

I certainly don't want to seem bitchy, but as an IB student going through this now, I've done a lot of research :smile:
Reply 69
Hey, I'm looking for a couple of opinions of which I should choose, I know about them but what would you suggest for my circumstances.
If I was to take A-Level:
German, Maths, Business Studies, Further Maths
IB:
SL - English, Biology, Chemistry
HL - Maths, Business Studies, German
I'm predicted As in all of my GCSEs and Maths an A*, and I already have an A in both economics and citizenship.
The parts I would be most worried about are all of my SL subjects (do you think I would be capable of doing them at standard level, I find them really hard but I get good grades in them by working pretty hard) and also the TOK extended essay, I'd also have to move to another school (not too far away though) to do IB as my school doesn't offer it (but one of my friends would be with me).
I'm thinking about going to university to do either Maths or Business (leaning slightly more towards Business).
I'm really torn between the two and appreciate any replies, thanks!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
(All for Law)
Oxford- 38 with 6,6,6
Bristol- 37 (35 if from 'disadvantaged' school) with 6,6,6
King's- 7,6,6, true but only 35 overall, so can focus on highers
LSE- 38 with 6,6,6
Cambridge- They are the bitches of the bunch, asking for 40 ish with 7,7,6. (Hence I applied for Oxford instead..)

I certainly don't want to seem bitchy, but as an IB student going through this now, I've done a lot of research :smile:

dont get your panties in a bunch. everyone has done a lot of research, and there are like 15000 IB students going through this right now (including me).

what i said was true for me. you were looking at a different course. so here it is for international relations
For AAA they want
SOAS - 38, 766
LSE - 38, 766
Edinburgh 40, 666... thats pretty high for AAA. also edinburgh vet is 766 whereas in a levels AAA

also here is some stuff for law i remember from memory because i considered law before international relations
UCL - 39 with 19 in HLs.. this is 766
Kings- as you mentioned
LSE - 666 OR 766.. but its obvious that 666 will be barely recognized

i dont want to fight about this. youve presented what you know for your subject, and so have i..... while its true that sometimes IB is recognized, many times it isnt. that sucks for both of us :smile:
Original post by zettel

That's utter crap, Kings just adjusted their offer to mean that ALL IB offers are 35 but A*AA course are 766 AAA courses are 666 AAB courses are 665
Reply 72
Original post by Calllu-m
That's utter crap, Kings just adjusted their offer to mean that ALL IB offers are 35 but A*AA course are 766 AAA courses are 666 AAB courses are 665

thanks for letting me know that they adjusted it since last september...
but since they just did that, i guess the problem wasnt there before was it? :rolleyes:

still, like 2 percent get a 7 in some IB subjects so it's still pretty tough.

edit: the girl whose post i replied to made the same mistake, so this must be a super recent change :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by pbunny

Canada is super easy to apply to with IB. All you need is your predicted score, and sometimes an essay. no ACT/SAT necessary.
They really appreciate IB. I know someones at UBC who got a 32 or so - he received a small merit scholaship.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zettel
thanks for letting me know that they adjusted it since last september...
but since they just did that, i guess the problem wasnt there before was it? :rolleyes:

still, like 2 percent get a 7 in some IB subjects so it's still pretty tough.

Firstly, it means universities are recognising the difficulty of the IB
It really isn't that tough. I got a 7 in English Lit A and History HL, statistically the two hardest to get a 7 in, i just put in a lot of work, which is exactly how you get an A* in A levels
Reply 75
Firstly, it means universities are recognising the difficulty of the IB
It really isn't that tough. I got a 7 in English Lit A and History HL, statistically the two hardest to get a 7 in, i just put in a lot of work, which is exactly how you get an A* in A levels

I'm sure King's doesnt represent all universities. Congrats to King's. But there are still unis that arent recognizing it, which is what i was addressing.

I'm also a predicted 7 in english lit A and a high 6 for History HL... but surely statistics are a more reliable factor of 'difficulty'?

Will keep your advice for working hard in mind:smile:
Original post by pbunny

A Level Subjects
-Economics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science/ICT

IB Subjects:
-HL Maths
-HL ITGS
-HL Economics

America absolutely LOVE the IB. If you really want to go there then I'd recommend doing it, seriously.

Original post by ThatPrickImran
I'm currently doing the IB. And I regret picking it over A-Levels so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't. What's wrong with it for you?

Original post by zettel

No they aren't. In the majority of cases they have a sizeable advantage when they go to uni. Universities are understanding the IB more and are making their offers more reasonable.
I know a few people that did the IB and they ALL say that first year uni was an absolute breeze for them while some of their friends who do A levels are pulling their hair out because of the workload.
One of them who goes to Cambridge said it was a doss compared to 2nd year IB.

This other guy got a 5 in SL Chemistry and he's doing medicine. He's top of his year now.
Original post by zettel
I'm sure King's doesnt represent all universities. Congrats to King's. But there are still unis that arent recognizing it, which is what i was addressing.

I'm also a predicted 7 in english lit A and a high 6 for History HL... but surely statistics are a more reliable factor of 'difficulty'?

Will keep your advice for working hard in mind:smile:

No, English and History HL are the most popular iB subjects and are compulsory in most American state schools, who bring down the averages massively, as the IB is an elective course for them and doesn't really affect their uni entrance. If you look at stats for 7%s in the UK it'd be higher
Reply 78
No, English and History HL are the most popular iB subjects and are compulsory in most American state schools, who bring down the averages massively, as the IB is an elective course for them and doesn't really affect their uni entrance. If you look at stats for 7%s in the UK it'd be higher

it might have been helpful to read the previous discussion. But you're welcome to show me the stats, as well as public/private school comparisons.

Original post by DarthVador

For comparison's sake, nearly 50% of Maths A level students got A or A*, whereas maybe maximum of 25% of Maths HL students got 6 or 7; and this is because the IB system is to change the grade boundaries depending on the how well a year has done on average.

Original post by DarthVador
Furthermore the IB changes the grade boundaries year on year so that the amount of people who get a 6 and a 7 is fixed.

8% of history A level students get A*, only 2% of IB history students get 7; YET british universities put more value on an A* than on a 7 for the IB.

And this is without even taking into account that the average IB student is more intelligent than the average A level student because IB students are mainly from wealthy and middle class international families
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zettel
it might have been helpful to read the previous discussion. But you're welcome to show me the stats, as well as public/private school comparisons.

The IB don't compile a list of results by country, at least one that they don't release, but if you look at the results from most British schools you'll notice the %s of 7s for the supposedly hardest subjects to get 7s in are higher than the world average.

Latest

Trending

Trending