The Student Room Group

Geography or Religion A level?

I know that I would like to take chemistry, biology and maths at A level. These are the 3 I need to study for the type of thing I would like to study at university, that being a natural science or pharmacy course. But I'm unsure about my 4th subject, I'm not sure between geography and religion. I enjoy both and I'm achieving A/A* grades in both. I wondered what the work load is like, have others enjoyed them, which is more beneficial etc?

Thanks for advice! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Random20
I know that I would like to take chemistry, biology and maths at A level. These are the 3 I need to study for the type of thing I would like to study at university, that being a natural science or pharmacy course. But I'm unsure about my 4th subject, I'm not sure between geography and religion. I enjoy both and I'm achieving A/A* grades in both. I wondered what the work load is like, have others enjoyed them, which is more beneficial etc?

Hey! Its me again XD seeing as u want to do natural sciences or pharmacy, bio chem and maths are fine, and as a fourth have u considered physics seeing as u might want to explore different sciences? But if not either geography and religion are good as levels. I dont know what geography consists of but if u enjoy it, take it. While for religion I know the ethics side of it will be very useful perhaps for science courses at uni. Im thinking of taking theology for as level cause the ethics part would be very useful for dentistry :smile: honestly either one u take, make sure u enjoy them and do well in them, work hard for ur A*s!!!

Geography! :smile:
It matches with the subjects your choosing.
RE is considered a soft subject, which is what I heard.
I went on a 'Geography A-level trip' and they discussed why we should choose Geography - it's really good knowledge, it matches with your science subjects. A girl is actually studying Geography in Cambridge, it's her second year. She got an A* at it in A-levels so I'm guessing it's not hard, but requires a lot of work.
Geography.
Original post by Bloom77
I went on a 'Geography A-level trip' and they discussed why we should choose Geography - it's really good knowledge, it matches with your science subjects. A girl is actually studying Geography in Cambridge, it's her second year. She got an A* at it in A-levels so I'm guessing it's not hard, but requires a lot of work.

Most A levels are hard, you can't call them easy?... and Religion is not a soft subject at a level
Whichever you like best, basically. RE is certainly not a soft subject, it's on the same level as geography/history/english literature etc. It honestly won't matter which you go for, but if you choose the one you think you'll prefer, you're more likely to perform better. I suppose RE would be a good choice as it would be a bit of a change from the more science-based subjects, many universities will actually consider geography as a science subject when applying for things such as Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id pick geography.
Its the more relevant subject if you want to go down the natural sciences route. Plus it goes better with your other subjects.
I did geography at a-level and loved it. I found it really interesting.
Reply 7
Original post by longsightdon
Hey! Its me again XD seeing as u want to do natural sciences or pharmacy, bio chem and maths are fine, and as a fourth have u considered physics seeing as u might want to explore different sciences? But if not either geography and religion are good as levels. I dont know what geography consists of but if u enjoy it, take it. While for religion I know the ethics side of it will be very useful perhaps for science courses at uni. Im thinking of taking theology for as level cause the ethics part would be very useful for dentistry :smile: honestly either one u take, make sure u enjoy them and do well in them, work hard for ur A*s!!!

Hey! Physics isn't really one I'm considering, I don't enjoy it as a subject and it's my weakest science. Yeah, the ethics is the part of religion which I feel would link well with pharmacy and the philosophy part would be a good contrast. But I love geography so it's a hard one for me. You should take theology, I agree it would help you with denistry. Thanks!!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Bloom77

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Lucy96
Whichever you like best, basically. RE is certainly not a soft subject, it's on the same level as geography/history/english literature etc. It honestly won't matter which you go for, but if you choose the one you think you'll prefer, you're more likely to perform better. I suppose RE would be a good choice as it would be a bit of a change from the more science-based subjects, many universities will actually consider geography as a science subject when applying for things such as Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's really useful!
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
Id pick geography.
Its the more relevant subject if you want to go down the natural sciences route. Plus it goes better with your other subjects.
I did geography at a-level and loved it. I found it really interesting.

Thanks!!!
Check with exam boards you are doing for each one, then ask the teachers which topics you do and if in religion you do medical ethics, then that would be useful. But if you want to do natural sciences then the physical geography might be helpful??
Hey! Physics isn't really one I'm considering, I don't enjoy it as a subject and it's my weakest science. Yeah, the ethics is the part of religion which I feel would link well with pharmacy and the philosophy part would be a good contrast. But I love geography so it's a hard one for me. You should take theology, I agree it would help you with denistry. Thanks!!! :smile:

Haha thanks :smile: I feel the same with physics, I really don't want to take it but... having asian parents, they put loads of pressure on me to take physics and complete the 'asian 4' lol. I think u seem to like geography more, so perhaps u should take it? Ive no idea if its useful for natural sciences so perhaps u shud look at the universities offering it and see what subjects are useful :biggrin: And for religion, I would say the ethics is useful if u want to go into research or something since u need to know the ethics, but make sure u don't choose a subject u don't like! Anyways, have a happy new year!

Quick Reply

Latest