The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack Robinson
Yes, considering Prince William's gotten himself into Cambridge, and though the course isn't a conventional one, I don't think anybody gotten in with more mediocre A levels than his. Then there's prince charles our future king, he's done 5 O levels and TWO A levels gettings Bs and Cs AND he got HIMSELF into Camb as well. Then there's the others who've done way sub-par subjects such Georgraphy, PE, politics etc for A level and have still gotten awful grades - Bs and Cs, the like. Then there's the cherry on the pie, the Queen herself - she's got no qualifications AT ALL according to the Telegraph.
Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Surely not? We're being ruled by a pack of dunces. They admitted it themselves (Princess Diana did, at least)! What are we waiting for??? REVOLUTION!!!!!!

Geography is not a "sub-par" subject!!!!!!!!!!! >:frown:
Reply 81
Its easy for rich people to get into oxford and cambridge..
Reply 82
Original post by castelo
It seems you don't know English history. Cromwell killed the King of England almost 150 years before Robespierre killed Louis XVI.

PS : I'm not british either.

I am in the Belgian school so I know France better than England :P. Although I must say I know English history better than history of my own country (****ing school programme)
Reply 83
Original post by Jack Robinson
Yes, considering Prince William's gotten himself into Cambridge, and though the course isn't a conventional one, I don't think anybody gotten in with more mediocre A levels than his. Then there's prince charles our future king, he's done 5 O levels and TWO A levels gettings Bs and Cs AND he got HIMSELF into Camb as well. Then there's the others who've done way sub-par subjects such Georgraphy, PE, politics etc for A level and have still gotten awful grades - Bs and Cs, the like. Then there's the cherry on the pie, the Queen herself - she's got no qualifications AT ALL according to the Telegraph.
Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Surely not? We're being ruled by a pack of dunces. They admitted it themselves (Princess Diana did, at least)! What are we waiting for??? REVOLUTION!!!!!!

Current day grades are grade inflated non-sense.
Original post by Namige
Anything below an A is embarrassing to have. Considering almost everyone gets As nowadays.

Oh pipe down and get off your high horse. Snobbery and ignorance are not attractive qualities.
Reply 85
Original post by The Wild Youth
Oh pipe down and get off your high horse. Snobbery and ignorance are not attractive qualities.
So is calling anything embarrassing considered snobbery?
To be fair what qualifications did they even have when the queen was in her teens :confused: My nans about the same age as her and I don't think they did things like O levels back then?
Reply 87
You StudentRoom lefties are starting to contradict yourself.
When BoJo said that the majority of people were stupid, this site was up in arms.
Yet here are the same people, accusing the Royal Family of 'stupidity'.
All the bitter Cambridge rejects, and those that have acquired an air of self-righteousness and superiority because they got 3As and higher: get over yourselves.
I care far more about how well the Royal Family do their jobs than their UMS and how well they dick off the exam boards. Anybody that says that a) qualifications really matter in life and that b) qualifications completely reflect intelligence is a fool (regardless of their 90%+ average).
And actually, Prince Will got ABC which in many people's books would be a fantastic set of grades- my father got into Cambridge in 1978 with AAB, which was about the average then by all accounts.
Reply 88
Original post by Clip
I don't understand what you're trying to say. This isn't an undergraduate course. It's a 10 week short course, and he's already a graduate. His A-levels are utterly irrelevant.

He's got an upper second from St Andrews. He meets the Cambridge Postgraduate requirements. I do not understand what you object to.

I object to the fact that no matter if this were a 10-week short course, undergraduate degree or any form of higher education he would have been given a place regardless of results. Hence why myself and those members of the University of Cambridge stand in protest.
Reply 89
Original post by BC95
I object to the fact that no matter if this were a 10-week short course, undergraduate degree or any form of higher education he would have been given a place regardless of results. Hence why myself and those members of the University of Cambridge stand in protest.

Now you're just making stuff up. You're retrospectively changing things. Earlier you made out that William didn't meet the minimums. Now you're saying that you object to something hypothetical and not in evidence. (i.e. William could have gone to Cambridge as an undergraduate with no qualifications) you don't know that - you've made it up.

I suspect you jumped on the bandwagon without even realising what the situation was, and now you've made a fool of yourself for making claims counter to reality.
Reply 90
Original post by cherryontop
I think the fact that they were able to go to prestigious universities is a bit disheartening for students who have put so much effort into achieving top grades to try and get a place :/ not really fair

Have you even bothered to read the thread? What is not fair?
Reply 91
Original post by *Dreaming*
To be fair what qualifications did they even have when the queen was in her teens :confused: My nans about the same age as her and I don't think they did things like O levels back then?

No, they lived in caves and thought about how to make fire.
They had exams of sorts, although evidently not in their present format.
I remember my grandfather saying he just had to pass the Oxford entrance exam to get a place back in '38.
Willing to bet no royal will ever study maths at Cambridge..
Original post by tes1996
You StudentRoom lefties are starting to contradict yourself.
When BoJo said that the majority of people were stupid, this site was up in arms.
Yet here are the same people, accusing the Royal Family of 'stupidity'.
All the bitter Cambridge rejects, and those that have acquired an air of self-righteousness and superiority because they got 3As and higher: get over yourselves.
I care far more about how well the Royal Family do their jobs than their UMS and how well they dick off the exam boards. Anybody that says that a) qualifications really matter in life and that b) qualifications completely reflect intelligence is a fool (regardless of their 90%+ average).
And actually, Prince Will got ABC which in many people's books would be a fantastic set of grades- my father got into Cambridge in 1978 with AAB, which was about the average then by all accounts.

Your father's a fool
Reply 94
Original post by Aniaa
I am in the Belgian school so I know France better than England :P. Although I must say I know English history better than history of my own country (****ing school programme)

Just for your amusement :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regicides_of_Charles_I
Reply 95
Original post by marcus2001
Your father's a fool

So I to go to the trouble of writing my post, and this is the only comeback?
You're going to get a good hiding one of these days my boy.
One cannot simply go making those statements.
Terribly naughty, slapped wrist for you
(N.B. my father got a 2:1 and has made a great success out of his life)
Reply 96
Original post by Clip
Now you're just making stuff up. You're retrospectively changing things. Earlier you made out that William didn't meet the minimums. Now you're saying that you object to something hypothetical and not in evidence. (i.e. William could have gone to Cambridge as an undergraduate with no qualifications) you don't know that - you've made it up.

I suspect you jumped on the bandwagon without even realising what the situation was, and now you've made a fool of yourself for making claims counter to reality.

Ha Interesting how you're now relying on evidence:

Give me evidence his 0-Level grades were adequate to go to St. Andrews

Give me evidence he achieved a substantial score on an entrance

Give me evidence that my first argument that Tax > Royal tourism revenue is incorrect

Perhaps give me evidence for these things before asking for evidence yourself.

I suspect your throwing phrases around such as "fool" and "ignorance" because you know you have been careless enough to assume no one understands the context of this news other than yourself. Get off your high-horse and stop being so lackadaisical in your argument.
Reply 97
Original post by BC95
I suspect your throwing phrases around such as "fool" and "ignorance" because you know you have been careless enough to assume no one understands the context of this news other than yourself. Get off your high-horse and stop being so lackadaisical in your argument.

Ooh big words time!
Why the pointless buffoonery? You, like the majority of posters on here, don't understand the full situation.
You're not superior, so stop playing the I'm more intelligent card.
Going around with the view Cambridge graduates shall inherit the earth won't do you any good in the real world.
Original post by tengentoppa
1. We're not being ruled by them. They're merely figureheads
2. Removing them would be bad for the economy (tourism etc.). Also, too much hassle.
3. I do agree royals should not get into uni on account of their status. It should be meritocratic.

Removing them WOULD NOT effect tourism, that is complete made up BS by Royalists.
Original post by BC95
Ha Interesting how you're now relying on evidence:

Give me evidence his 0-Level grades were adequate to go to St. Andrews

Give me evidence he achieved a substantial score on an entrance

Give me evidence that my first argument that Tax > Royal tourism revenue is incorrect

Perhaps give me evidence for these things before asking for evidence yourself.

the royal family have near enough no effect on tourism.

Latest

Trending

Trending