The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would like to know, too. Thinking about working there for an extended period of time when I'm older, if possible.
Reply 2
Original post by OHNOGEM
The silence is pretty scarey, lol I'm thinking of studying over there, I was thinking my irish accent is pretty bad so it'd be hard to blend

Probably best leave the commemorative jubilee crockery at home, I'd say.
Reply 3
I wouldn't venture that far south if i was you :colone:
Reply 4
Original post by OHNOGEM
I've heard rumours of gangs in Ireland that hate English people, just wondered if anyone has experienced this or live in Ireland atm?

I am English but my family is Irish from the south... It is safe as any city or small town. I come from the middle of nowhere and they don't normally see non Irish and I am safe! It is the same danger level as any place...
Reply 5
Original post by OHNOGEM
Lol why the creepy face

Cuz Irish people aren't known for their welcoming nature when they have had a few pints ;p My friend is Irish and his family are terrible lol ;p obviously cant profile a whole people like but i guess i just did lolz.
Reply 6
Original post by cuckoo99
Cuz Irish people aren't known for their welcoming nature when they have had a few pints ;p My friend is Irish and his family are terrible lol ;p obviously cant profile a whole people like but i guess i just did lolz.

Lol, well I doubt I'd understand them after a few pints anyway
Ireland's got a reputation for being friendly and welcoming. I get the historical links might cause a few raised eyebrows, but generally, in the news you never really hear of any animosity towards English people in the ROI.
Born and reared in England till I was 14, and for the past 13 years I've been living in Northern Ireland. I still hold 100% of an English accent, no hint of Irish in it whatsoever.

Albeit its debatable how English I actually am given that my parents are Irish (I wouldn't consider myself English). I would argue there is very little prejuduce towards English people, though of course its not completely non existant, I've certainly experianced very little and the vast majority of my time here I've been living in nationalist areas. You'll find a lot of people in Ireland will enquire whereabouts you're from in England, followed 95% of of the time a conversation about the local football team (since English football is very big in Ireland), so for example I used to live in Ipswich so inevitabely everyone would start talking about Ipswich Town, assuming I'm an Ipswich supporter (when I'm actually a Man Utd fan :colone:).

The only likely anti English areas, if there is such, would be hardened places of Derry and odd places of South Armagh like Crossmaglen, even that would be a bit of stretch.

Just my two cents, like I say I hold 100% of an English accent and lived here for 13 years with it. Looking to go to the Republic of Ireland for university next year, and by the time I finish I would have lived in Ireland for nearly 20 years. Bleh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by OHNOGEM
I've heard rumours of gangs in Ireland that hate English people, just wondered if anyone has experienced this or live in Ireland atm?

Stay city side.
What a pile of balls, Ireland is a very safe place for Brits as much as any other nationality. Worst you'd get is the piss taken out of you
Original post by Sharpshooter
Born and reared in England till I was 14, and for the past 13 years I've been living in Northern Ireland. I still hold 100% of an English accent, no hint of Irish in it whatsoever.

Albeit its debatable how English I actually am given that my parents are Irish (I wouldn't consider myself English). I would argue there is very little prejuduce towards English people, though of course its not completely non existant, I've certainly experianced very little and the vast majority of my time here I've been living in nationalist areas. You'll find a lot of people in Ireland will enquire whereabouts you're from in England, followed 95% of of the time a conversation about the local football team (since English football is very big in Ireland), so for example I used to live in Ipswich so inevitabely everyone would start talking about Ipswich Town, assuming I'm an Ipswich supporter (when I'm actually a Man Utd fan :colone:).

The only likely anti English areas, if there is such, would be hardened places of Derry and odd places of South Armagh like Crossmaglen, even that would be a bit of stretch.

Just my two cents, like I say I hold 100% of an English accent and lived here for 13 years with it. Looking to go to the Republic of Ireland for university next year, and by the time I finish I would have lived in Ireland for nearly 20 years. Bleh.

Think hes talking about the Republic.

In answer to the question, im irish but im english (if that makes sense) so i have a ton of family in ireland, ive nver felt threatened over there in my life, I always have banter with my paddy family and friends, mostly over how irish people pronounce butter.
Not dangerous at all.
Been there lots and never had any trouble.
Oh totally. Its basically like visiting Yemen while wearing an I<3 the west t shirt.
Reply 15
there are some hardline republicans all over Ireland (not just n.ireland) but they are a small minority, Republic of Ireland people have no problems with the English and i don't know many nationalists in northern ireland who have a problem with English people either.
Not dangerous but you will be openly despised in Donegal and Munster. Especially if you're a Protestant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Apocrypha
Think hes talking about the Republic.

In answer to the question, im irish but im english (if that makes sense) so i have a ton of family in ireland, ive nver felt threatened over there in my life, I always have banter with my paddy family and friends, mostly over how irish people pronounce butter.

why would he be just talking about the republic? given how northern ireland is never off the news i'm sure that's what caused the op's question
Original post by Sharpshooter

Parts of south London are probably less safe. If you are a Man U supporter no surprise you fit in.
I have been to Ireland a couple of times with my East Anglian accent and never once felt threatened or unsafe. Infact to be honest I felt the Irish people were far more friendly and welcoming to me than about 90% of people I encounter in my own area of England I live in.

Latest