The Student Room Group

What is a decent salary?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Sherry1993
This really gets to me.
You dont have to be earning 50k a year to 'live'.
Is it not evident enough that there are thousands of families in london living on minimun wage?!

To 'live' is different from 'I want to have the best in the world and will refuse any job offer less than 50k, because I'm a spoilt brat and want the best of everything but wont appreciate any of it'

To live is having a roof over your head, enough food in the house to eat and enough to pay the bills. Get the things you NEED, not want.

I have no problems financially and minimum wage doesnt apply to me, but I grew up in a home were a single mother was raising two girls and working all the hours she could for ****ty money, she always owned her own home, paid all the bills and we always had enough food in our kitchen, so what we didnt have every new pair of shoes that where out or didnt get to spend stupid amounts of money on weekend treats, but we were able to live.

Now of my own back I am far from that life style and I have a really good life now financially and I can afford what ever I want without budgeting or even thinking about the cost, BUT the difference is I appreciate everything!!

I think a lot of you on here comenting with anything over like 35-40k have clearly come from well of background or a a very comfortable financial background, so you have no idea how it is for working class/ 2nd class people to actually get by.
Your talking about salaries that will allow you to have 2 holidays a year, the newest mobile phone, sky boxes in every room, nights out in clubs where one drink 8quid.
and I am also guessing that most of you dont live on your own or have to be financially independant, for all of you that are at college and uni I suggest you have a reality check, just because your getting a degree, that doesnt mean **** in the real world!

Like I said I live a very comfortable life, and I am more than secure in the finance department but to live is different from you guys talking about.

THIS really gets me. Someone who takes what was written, changes into a blatant issue they have, and writes a reply to something that was never said.

Who said 50k? You. And do the ****ing math. Minimum wage in London is living a 2nd world existance. I'm not even going to read the rest of your response as its just some rant related to what is obviously a sore topic for you and NOT a response to what was written.
Original post by Casprules
30k is decent if you want a nice phone. Also money needed for petrol so if you commute a lot then that's gonna cost a bomb

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont need to earn 30K to have a "nice phone" though this depends on what you call nice. I have a nexus 4. Not the most expensive of phones but not bad either
Original post by geoking
THIS really gets me. Someone who takes what was written, changes into a blatant issue they have, and writes a reply to something that was never said.

Who said 50k? You. And do the ****ing math. Minimum wage in London is living a 2nd world existance. I'm not even going to read the rest of your response as its just some rant related to what is obviously a sore topic for you and NOT a response to what was written.

My point is that people do live on minimum wage, whether they are in London or not. I am not saying that your living a luxurious life on minimum wage, but you can ****ing live.

Plenty people have said 50k, 40k, 30k. People that expect that amount of money at 20-25 years old are not being realistic. Even as a graduate. The jobs arent out there. So you do the ****ing math.
Reply 103
My point is that people do live on minimum wage, whether they are in London or not. I am not saying that your living a luxurious life on minimum wage, but you can ****ing live.

Plenty people have said 50k, 40k, 30k. People that expect that amount of money at 20-25 years old are not being realistic. Even as a graduate. The jobs arent out there. So you do the ****ing math.

You really are unpleasent.
You cannot live on minimum wage in London, you survive, and barely, in 2nd world conditions.
By 25 I expect to be on 30k. Its not hard if you go down the right career path. So instead of ranting and spewing vitrol, have a look at what is out there. Clearly this is a sore point for you - dont take whatever issue you have with regard to salary out on others.
Reply 104
Original post by geoking
By 25 I expect to be on 30k. Its not hard if you go down the right career path.

Prehaps not hard in the right career, however getting into that career in the first place will be hard.

Speaking amongst my peers, both from hometown and university, very few are making 30k+ by age 25. Infact those with the highest earning potential are only now finishing their educations at ages 26/27 with many then going on gap years or placements therefore further delaying their true value income.
A salary that can pay bills and leave you enough to enjoy yourself/have some savings.

It will differ depending on what you're doing. If you have a huge mortgage, you'll need a bigger salary for it to be classed as "decent". If you own your home outright you obviously won't need as much.

For me, I should own a flat in a few months, and if I was on £12k a year (which I'm not) I'd still have £800 a month for my own enjoyment after bills and food shopping. Yet at the moment our rent costs £425 a month so that salary wouldn't feel quite as good!
Original post by geoking
You really are unpleasent.
You cannot live on minimum wage in London, you survive, and barely, in 2nd world conditions.
By 25 I expect to be on 30k. Its not hard if you go down the right career path. So instead of ranting and spewing vitrol, have a look at what is out there. Clearly this is a sore point for you - dont take whatever issue you have with regard to salary out on others.

I don't think you quite get it do you?
Surviving is living.
You clearly have not been raised by 2nd class parents, I have. A single parent at that. A mother on minimum wage raising two kids, we lived an ok life growing up, it was average, and guess what?! It was in one of the biggest cities in the UK, one of the most expensive if we're looking at the cost of living, So do not talk to me about '2nd world conditions' The minimum wage is set accordingly.

Now theres a fine line between wanting to earn minimum wage and not having much choice. Which you dont understand. Clearly, because by 25 you'll be earning your 30k.

The salary isnt my problem, I live a good life and I am now very financially stable, and my partner and myself earn a hell of a lot more than other friends our age and guess what? Neither of us went to uni, and we both come from working class families. We appreciate what we have and that we can enjoy the finer things, which is the difference between me and you.

You 'EXPECT' 30k by the time your 25.
I never expected anything, I worked hard for what I have and if it was all taken away from me tomorrow and I was put on a minimum wage salary, I would be able to live, because I understand what living means.
Original post by Yeshu
With extreme difficulty! Why do you think there's benefit fraud and crime in this country!

You do realise that 'benefit fraud' is a far, FAR smaller problem than tax avoidance and tax evasion?
Reply 108
Original post by Катя
You do realise that 'benefit fraud' is a far, FAR smaller problem than tax avoidance and tax evasion?

Nothing wrong with tax avoidance, so its not a 'problem'.
Original post by Reue
Nothing wrong with tax avoidance, so its not a 'problem'.

Semantics.
Original post by Reue
Berkshire here. 30k goes plenty.

Berkshire here. 30k is not great.
Reply 111
Original post by Катя
Semantics.

Not at all. Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and practiced by anyone who pays into a pension, or an ISA, or uses the bike to work scheme, or take a season ticket loan, or uses childcare vouchers etc etc.
Reply 112
Original post by Катя
Berkshire here. 30k is not great.

Probabley because you're paying too much tax as you seem to be classing tax avoidance as being wrong :smile:
Original post by Reue
Not at all. Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and practiced by anyone who pays into a pension, or an ISA, or uses the bike to work scheme, or take a season ticket loan, or uses childcare vouchers etc etc.

Apologies when I hear 'tax avoidance', I imagine people on 150k+ moving to Monaco.
Reply 114
I don't think you quite get it do you?
Surviving is living.

Living, yes, but living in relative poverty. Even with income bumped up by in work benefits. The OP's original question is a salary that would allow a "decent" standard of living (ie essentials paid plus luxuries). One which isn't possible on minimum wage. Moreoever someone on minimum wage does face problems such as further restrictions in jobs they can apply to, not just in terms of qualifications but also because they can struggle to afford travel so will be looking in a smaller area.

I don't disagree with what you said regarding certain middle class members posting inflated salaries of 30k+.

You clearly have not been raised by 2nd class parents, I have.

Working class, or living in poverty. Your parent(s) are not "second class" (well, that's aguable, they might think they are in terms of treatment by society).

Original post by geoking
x

Just thought you might be interested, had a conversation with my brother about this last night.

He was actually only on 25k when he first moved into London and didn't use savings. However, he still managed comfortably (travelled, went out twice a week and saved up 5k in that first year). First house was £250 a month, which I know is relatively cheap (I'm paying £215 for an average/below average house in Newcastle). He admits he skimped on accomodation. I remember one of those first houses in Leytonstone as a Pakistani (suspected) drug dealer where they found several grand in the loft. They also got burgled and suspected it was related to their Landlord's possibly dodgyness. So not ideal accomodation.

After four years, moving to increasingly expensive properties and reaching a salary high of 50k by 30 years of age and had saved up 20k and got onto the property ladder.

But he thinks 30k is certainly a comfortable enough salary for London, if you're OK with only saving a couple of grand a year at most. I do think I could manage on 20k in London, certainly 25k (less if you include a small amount of money I receive from other sources but that would be cheating)
Original post by Reue
Probabley because you're paying too much tax as you seem to be classing tax avoidance as being wrong :smile:

Most houses I see for sale here are in the region of 800k / 2mil, though. And people drive very, very nice cars. I haven't been here very long, but it does strike me as a very affluent sort of area.
Reply 116
Original post by Катя
Apologies when I hear 'tax avoidance', I imagine people on 150k+ moving to Monaco.

Nope, it is anything which lessens a person's tax liability through legal methods. I'd hazard a guess that most working adults in this country will do some form of tax avoidance (most without actually realising it).
Reply 117
Original post by Катя
Most houses I see for sale here are in the region of 800k / 2mil, though. And people drive very, very nice cars. I haven't been here very long, but it does strike me as a very affluent sort of area.

Then you are looking in an extremely limited area. Berkshire has a very wide variety of housing.
Reply 118
Original post by Yeshu
With extreme difficulty! Why do you think there's benefit fraud and crime in this country!

Didn't see this earlier.

There's benefit fraud (which is not as widespread as you may believe) because people are greedy and always after more money, not because of poverty. Most cases of benefit fraud are committed by the middle class, anyway (e.g. affluent professional or small business owner, decides to claim housing benefit in four different areas). I can find stats somewhere.
Original post by River85
Living, yes, but living in relative poverty. Even with income bumped up by in work benefits. The OP's original question is a salary that would allow a "decent" standard of living (ie essentials paid plus luxuries). One which isn't possible on minimum wage. Moreoever someone on minimum wage does face problems such as further restrictions in jobs they can apply to, not just in terms of qualifications but also because they can struggle to afford travel so will be looking in a smaller area.

I don't disagree with what you said regarding certain middle class members posting inflated salaries of 30k+.

Working class, or living in poverty. Your parent(s) are not "second class" (well, that's aguable, they might think they are in terms of treatment by society).

Just thought you might be interested, had a conversation with my brother about this last night.

He was actually only on 25k when he first moved into London and didn't use savings. However, he still managed comfortably (travelled, went out twice a week and saved up 5k in that first year). First house was £250 a month, which I know is relatively cheap (I'm paying £215 for an average/below average house in Newcastle). He admits he skimped on accomodation. I remember one of those first houses in Leytonstone as a Pakistani (suspected) drug dealer where they found several grand in the loft. They also got burgled and suspected it was related to their Landlord's possibly dodgyness. So not ideal accomodation.

After four years, moving to increasingly expensive properties and reaching a salary high of 50k by 30 years of age and had saved up 20k and got onto the property ladder.

But he thinks 30k is certainly a comfortable enough salary for London, if you're OK with only saving a couple of grand a year at most. I do think I could manage on 20k in London, certainly 25k (less if you include a small amount of money I receive from other sources but that would be cheating)

Come on, its not living in poverty.I had a really good childhood, I just didnt have the most expensive shoes on my feet, or the latest gadgets etc.
We ate three meals a day and I never went hungry, ok we didnt eat branded foods like heinz or walkers but we didnt go without. That isnt poverty.
Yes, I agree with people on MW do face further problems, but it can still be possible, like said I came from that life but now earn a good salary, and I am on the property ladder. My mum is now in a good decent paid job, with a similar salary to myself so its achievable to go up. She's pretty comfortable now.

The members posting the inflated salaries, is my biggest issue here. I'm possibly just convaying it in the wrong direction.

Well they are certainly working class, theres no arguement there. Second class and working class are most comparable I would say...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending