The Student Room Group

Celtic or Rangers?

Scroll to see replies

Neither really. Both are bunch of scummy racists, but I'll go with Rangers, at least they are totally open about how ****ty they are as people rather than pretending to be the victim all the time.
Reply 41
I prefer Rangers ONLY for the reason that Celtic fans were insufferable when Rangers were demoted to Scottish League Two. Without Rangers, Celtic are pretty much a team who lives for six games a season (the CL group stage). They need the Old Firm derby.
Original post by Mackay
I prefer Rangers ONLY for the reason that Celtic fans were insufferable when Rangers were demoted to Scottish League Two. Without Rangers, Celtic are pretty much a team who lives for six games a season (the CL group stage). They need the Old Firm derby.

You honestly think Rangers fans wouldn't have acted the same if that happened to Celtic?

Original post by pane123
Not that it will ever happen, but Rangers and Celtic joining the English league would be in no way similar to Basel or Ajax joining the Bundesliga. Or any of the other examples you gave.

AZ and Twente have won the Eredivisie in the last 5 years and Basel have only been dominant in the last 10 years. The Portuguese league is ranked 5th in Europe, the Dutch league 8th and the Ukranian league 9th. They all benefit from at least 2 Champions' League places and the teams you mentioned would probably prefer to stay where they are than move to a more competitive league..

You can equally apply that logic to the Scottish Park League though. Why would Celtic want to leave when they are guaranteed a league championship and Champions League qualification every season before a ball has even been kicked?
Reply 43
Original post by sr90
You honestly think Rangers fans wouldn't have acted the same if that happened to Celtic?

I'm not saying they wouldn't. Both clubs need to realise that without the other they are essentially nothing, though. The Scottish League is abysmal, the quality of football is poor, the players are poor...without the two horse title race it's essentially futile.
Reply 44
Original post by Mackay

er.. the point of football is to win trophies. So they DON'T care about the SPL, got it lol..
Reply 45
Original post by sr90
You can equally apply that logic to the Scottish Park League though. Why would Celtic want to leave when they are guaranteed a league championship and Champions League qualification every season before a ball has even been kicked?

No you can't. The Scottish Premiership only gets 1 Champions' League spot and even then it only puts them in the 2nd qualifying round.
Original post by Mackay
I'm not saying they wouldn't. Both clubs need to realise that without the other they are essentially nothing, though. The Scottish League is abysmal, the quality of football is poor, the players are poor...without the two horse title race it's essentially futile.

This, I remember Celtic fans on here at the time saying it's the greatest thing to ever happen to Scottish football and it would break down the old firm and everything would be wonderful and competitive. Celtic are currently 21 points ahead of second place and haven't lost a game this season :lol:
Reply 47
Original post by DaveSmith99
This, I remember Celtic fans on here at the time saying it's the greatest thing to ever happen to Scottish football and it would break down the old firm and everything would be wonderful and competitive. Celtic are currently 21 points ahead of second place and haven't lost a game this season :lol:

Exactly. The SPL is barely a trophy - it's practically a contest to see how quickly Celtic can get there. Celtic's season consists of six games in the Champions League to see how much money they can rope in from big ties.
Reply 48
Reply 49
Original post by Mackay
Exactly. The SPL is barely a trophy - it's practically a contest to see how quickly Celtic can get there. Celtic's season consists of six games in the Champions League to see how much money they can rope in from big ties.

If Rangers were to become extinct there would be a much higher chance of Celtic being allowed entry to the English leagues.
Reply 50
Original post by pane123
If Rangers were to become extinct there would be a much higher chance of Celtic being allowed entry to the English leagues.

Even so - any Celtic fan who actually thinks they would finish in the top half of the Premier League is delusional.
Reply 51
Original post by Mackay
Even so - any Celtic fan who actually thinks they would finish in the top half of the Premier League is delusional.

If Rangers or Celtic made it into the Premier League it would probably take about 5 years for them to be challenging for the title.
Reply 52
Original post by pane123
If Rangers or Celtic made it into the Premier League it would probably take about 5 years for them to be challenging for the title.

Ridiculous suggestion. They would be no better than the likes of Swansea, Southampton or Villa.
Reply 53
Original post by Mackay
Ridiculous suggestion. They would be no better than the likes of Swansea, Southampton or Villa.

Wow. Rangers and Celtic are ever so slightly bigger than any of those clubs. I suspect either Old Firm side would be snapped up by a billionaire owner as soon as they were granted entry to the Premier League.
Reply 54
Original post by pane123
Wow. Rangers and Celtic are ever so slightly bigger than any of those clubs. I suspect either Old Firm side would be snapped up by a billionaire owner as soon as they were granted entry to the Premier League.

Yeah but they aren't bigger, are they? They are in terms of stadium size but their playing staff is woefully bad. On paper they are a bottom six PL club - there's no denying that. Cardiff have got billionaire owners, as have QPR...neither stayed up (Cardiff will surely go down). Rangers/Celtic would in NO way challenge for the title.
Reply 55
Original post by Mackay
Yeah but they aren't bigger, are they? They are in terms of stadium size but their playing staff is woefully bad. On paper they are a bottom six PL club - there's no denying that. Cardiff have got billionaire owners, as have QPR...neither stayed up (Cardiff will surely go down). Rangers/Celtic would in NO way challenge for the title.

Yes, they are much bigger. Much, much, much bigger. Their playing staff could be replaced quite easily. Cardiff and QPR do not have any worldwide appeal, whereas Rangers and Celtic have huge worldwide appeal.

I am not suggesting they would challenge for the title in their first season, but they would get there relatively quickly.

The fact that someone could think Southampton are bigger than Rangers or Celtic is really confusing me. Were you being serious?
Reply 56
Original post by Mackay

If Celtic get into the premier league they will get so much money due to their fan base and thus be able to buy top quality players and thus they would be a good competitor in the premier league. Do you not see the logic in this?
Reply 57
Original post by Mackay

Celtic are a bigger club than Swansea, Southampton or villa in terms of fan base. Look it up if you don't believe me.
I hate Rangers more than any club in the world but Celtic can also go **** themselves.
Reply 59
Original post by cel93
Celtic are a bigger club than Swansea, Southampton or villa in terms of fan base. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Rangers and Celtic have far more fans than most Premier League clubs, and that's only in the UK. On a worldwide scale the Old Firm clubs dwarf most Premier League clubs.

Quick Reply

Latest