The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology revision tips?

Hey,
So im in lower sixth atm and I've not started my revision yet which I know I should have, but I have like a billion papers from my psych class so I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on the best way to revise for this subject or if you can recommend any good or helpful books in order to ensure I dont miss anything? Or any methods of revision you've found to work best as I'd really, really like to do well on this exam?

Thank you :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by despicablerach
Hey,
So im in lower sixth atm and I've not started my revision yet which I know I should have, but I have like a billion papers from my psych class so I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on the best way to revise for this subject or if you can recommend any good or helpful books in order to ensure I dont miss anything? Or any methods of revision you've found to work best as I'd really, really like to do well on this exam?

Thank you :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers are by far the best way of revising. You pick up the knowledge and practise exam technique at the same time. I've often found that teaching someone else really helps as well because you have to understand the material in order to teach it if you get me.
Ahh thank you so much I hadn't thought of past papers so I'll have to check some out, thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I used flashcards for the psych experiments. Names of psychologists and dates on one side and summarised study details & evaluations on the other.

Quick fire rounds by either describing the study associated with the names/dates or recalling the name/date through study.

I also used to revise with people on Student Room by answering psych questions for those who were struggling.

Trying to summarise the double spreads of your text book on either 1 A4 piece of paper or in my case a tiny notebook will help you condense and consolidate your knowledge.

Definitely study in groups to help you fill in gaps you may find in your knowledge.

Lastly, bang out practice papers, revise, paper and repeat until passed out. Good luck!! Psych is manageable if you're willing to put in the hours.
Reply 4
Hey ! Iv oddly created a post on how to self-teach yourself the first two psyche papers.

Its on my website here: AQA Psychology A* Revision

It shows you how i got two A's for papers 1 and 2 with only 3 months revision. I went on to get an A* overall with full marks in psya3 and psya4.

The website is dedicated to helping people hit the top banding and A* grade! my books help too.
You can read about me under the blog section or see all the teachers and student feedback on the homepage here : AQA Psychology A* student

Hit the like button on the right side to stay up to date with new materials and revision tips i post!

Il be releasing tips on Psya3 and Psya4 this weekend hopefully.

-Saj
The CGP revision guide is really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mephestic
Hey ! Iv oddly created a post on how to self-teach yourself the first two psyche papers.

Its on my website here: AQA Psychology A* Revision

It shows you how i got two A's for papers 1 and 2 with only 3 months revision. I went on to get an A* overall with full marks in psya3 and psya4.

The website is dedicated to helping people hit the top banding and A* grade! my books help too.
You can read about me under the blog section or see all the teachers and student feedback on the homepage here : AQA Psychology A* student

Hit the like button on the right side to stay up to date with new materials and revision tips i post!

Il be releasing tips on Psya3 and Psya4 this weekend hopefully.

-Saj

hello mephestic, i am in a2 and i am going to be sitting the psa1 maybe psya2 as well as psya3 ans psya4, do you have any tips for remembering a lot of information, i have all my essays for psya3 i just find it so hard to memorize all of this information. my essays are on word btw how should i go about remembering all studies and information, whenever i just try to read and memorise i find it so hard to recall it please, please, please can u help me
Reply 7
Original post by TheGameOfScience
hello mephestic, i am in a2 and i am going to be sitting the psa1 maybe psya2 as well as psya3 ans psya4, do you have any tips for remembering a lot of information, i have all my essays for psya3 i just find it so hard to memorize all of this information. my essays are on word btw how should i go about remembering all studies and information, whenever i just try to read and memorise i find it so hard to recall it please, please, please can u help me

Hi there!

I would advise writing the essays over and over from memory - reading them alone is NOT ENOUGH. You have to be able to write them from memory - The first few days will be hard but you need to practice them pretty much every day. Psychology is very content heavy and its impossible to remember the studies and research without having practiced the essays beforehand (unless your a savant genius which is rare).

You need to create model essays first which are perfect and A* grade ones. You say you have done this on word which sounds good but are you sure they are going to get you full marks (or close?) If so your next step is to print them out and then start the boring process of practicing them over and over and over. I used acronyms to remember my essays which is better explained in my book but its not a magic pill - you have to put in practice and the acronym method then makes it easier.

If you want some model A* essays you can compare yours to mine to see the level your required to work at to get high marks, all my A* essays that got me full marks are on my site and they cover all the questions with enough theory, evaluation and issues debates and approaches to hit the top band.

Hope this helps - any questions feel free to post on my site I am more active there.
------
Saj Devshi - A* Student, 100% Psya3, 100% Psya4 - Final Mark 373/400 ums
Get my A* model essays here!
Read about me on my blog and how I self taught myself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there!

I would advise writing the essays over and over from memory - reading them alone is NOT ENOUGH. You have to be able to write them from memory - The first few days will be hard but you need to practice them pretty much every day. Psychology is very content heavy and its impossible to remember the studies and research without having practiced the essays beforehand (unless your a savant genius which is rare).

You need to create model essays first which are perfect and A* grade ones. You say you have done this on word which sounds good but are you sure they are going to get you full marks (or close?) If so your next step is to print them out and then start the boring process of practicing them over and over and over. I used acronyms to remember my essays which is better explained in my book but its not a magic pill - you have to put in practice and the acronym method then makes it easier.

If you want some model A* essays you can compare yours to mine to see the level your required to work at to get high marks, all my A* essays that got me full marks are on my site and they cover all the questions with enough theory, evaluation and issues debates and approaches to hit the top band.

Hope this helps - any questions feel free to post on my site I am more active there.
------
Saj Devshi - A* Student, 100% Psya3, 100% Psya4 - Final Mark 373/400 ums
Get my A* model essays here!
Read about me on my blog and how I self taught myself.

thank you so much for replying saj!! i'll defo practice the essays, do you recommend i use flash cards as well or is that a poor method of doing it, the essays are 20-25 marks at least so its enough to get me a good grade hopefully, the only thing is i do eating behaviour :/ instead of bio rhythms and sleep. thanks fot the help i'll defo post and check out you resources thank you saj:smile: how do you recommend i practice the essays btw?
Reply 9
thank you so much for replying saj!! i'll defo practice the essays, do you recommend i use flash cards as well or is that a poor method of doing it, the essays are 20-25 marks at least so its enough to get me a good grade hopefully, the only thing is i do eating behaviour :/ instead of bio rhythms and sleep. thanks fot the help i'll defo post and check out you resources thank you saj:smile: how do you recommend i practice the essays btw?

You can use cue cards if you want but you should still be able to recite the full essay from memory and not just in bullet points. You practice the essays by trying to write them over and over until they are exactly how your typed up versions are!

Use acronyms to remember the researchers! I'll upload a video this weekend explaining how that method works.
You can use cue cards if you want but you should still be able to recite the full essay from memory and not just in bullet points. You practice the essays by trying to write them over and over until they are exactly how your typed up versions are!

Use acronyms to remember the researchers! I'll upload a video this weekend explaining how that method works.

oh ok!! thank you! :biggrin: but the thing is when i just look at my essay and copy it, i dont seem to remember much, but i'll try to remember sections of it what is your youtube channel btw, i'll subscribe to you :biggrin: is it ok if i can send you a sample essay and then you can tell me how i should break it down?
Reply 11
oh ok!! thank you! :biggrin: but the thing is when i just look at my essay and copy it, i dont seem to remember much, but i'll try to remember sections of it what is your youtube channel btw, i'll subscribe to you :biggrin: is it ok if i can send you a sample essay and then you can tell me how i should break it down?

If you go to my website it has my video, click on that to take you to youtube and subscribe to me that way. I'll post a video this weekend hopefully on how to revise for PSYA3 and psya4!

:smile:
Saj
If you go to my website it has my video, click on that to take you to youtube and subscribe to me that way. I'll post a video this weekend hopefully on how to revise for PSYA3 and psya4!

:smile:
Saj

thanks saj, i just subscribed :biggrin: looking forward to see your a2 psych vid thanks man!:biggrin:
Reply 13
thanks saj, i just subscribed :biggrin: looking forward to see your a2 psych vid thanks man!:biggrin:

Great!
Quick question what topics are you doing?

I'll probably upload the video Sunday evening as I am working hard on my sleep and bio book and I want to try finish it for this weekend.
Great!
Quick question what topics are you doing?

I'll probably upload the video Sunday evening as I am working hard on my sleep and bio book and I want to try finish it for this weekend.

i am doing relationships, aggression and eating behaviour:smile: ok thanks bro, i'll defo be the first 1 to watch it :biggrin:aha
Reply 15
i am doing relationships, aggression and eating behaviour:smile: ok thanks bro, i'll defo be the first 1 to watch it :biggrin:aha

Hey! Sorry about not uploading the video! I have been so busy finishing my A* essays book for Sleep & Bio rhythms that I have just finished now. I will upload it definitely this week! Bare with me! I havent forgotten!

-Saj

A* Model Essays That Got Me 100% Below:
My A* Essay answers that got me 100% In Psya3 & Psya4 are Here.
Read the reviews from Teachers & Students Here!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey! Sorry about not uploading the video! I have been so busy finishing my A* essays book for Sleep & Bio rhythms that I have just finished now. I will upload it definitely this week! Bare with me! I havent forgotten!

-Saj

---

Its ok:smile: aha thanks bro! i'll be on your channel everyday next week to check, thank you for helping us psychology students out :biggrin: its a shame i am doing eating behavior:frown: but i remember you saying that if you make sure you get really really high marks by adding more detail on 2 out of 3 of the essays and one in less detail than you can still get a high grade, also do you think unit 4 is hard compared to unit 3?
Reply 17
Its ok:smile: aha thanks bro! i'll be on your channel everyday next week to check, thank you for helping us psychology students out :biggrin: its a shame i am doing eating behavior:frown: but i remember you saying that if you make sure you get really really high marks by adding more detail on 2 out of 3 of the essays and one in less detail than you can still get a high grade, also do you think unit 4 is hard compared to unit 3?

No probs and sorry about the delay - I have literally been sat in front of my computer all day working on my A* sleep book! I havent even shaved and look too terrible for the camera! Im going to do that in a few moments so I can do the vid tomorrow. It may need some editing before upload etc but il try get it done tomorrow before I go work (at 1pm) or definitely wednesday.

Unit 4 is MUCH easier than unit 3 I think!! I chose Schizophrenia and Media Psychology which were far easier because Schizo is based on concepts we learn in Unit 2 and Media is simple and about how TV influences us - again based on concepts we already know (Social learning theory etc).

Unit 3 is the hardest I think out of all the papers purely due to the amount you have to learn - it drove me mad - I think I even cried a few times because it was so stressful.

Practicing the essays over and over suddenly caused something to happen - they began to click a bit more and although I wasnt absolutely 100% confident on the subjects I felt a bit more knowledgable and focused on them and they made more sense.

Practicing the essays will do that eventually. My books teach you how and give you pre-made A* essays but I will put it on my Youtube video too in simple terms - Its not a magic cure and requires a lot of effort but it worked for me and with effort can work for others too. You have to find what works best for you ultimately.

------
A* Model Essays That Got Me 100% Below:
you can get the spec online, print it off and then do an A4 page for each main topic including case studies and key bits( you will have to trek through your notes) this will then condense what you need to know for the exam and you only really need 2 or 3 studies per topic and a couple for evaluative points :smile:
I make myself a little card sort on word - with names of psychologists on one side and the information on their study on the other side. Then I mix them all up and try to match them up again - over and over. It really helps learn names of psychologists!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending