The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

scholarships at Oxford

Good Morning,
I have applied for DPhil in Inorganic Chemistry starting in sept 2014. I have received both an initial offer and an offer from the College.
Since I have to complete the 'financial declaration' I would like to know when results about Scholarships are usually taken. I have no personal funding, and I cannot go to Oxford if I get no Scholarship :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by SimiMellin
Good Morning,
I have applied for DPhil in Inorganic Chemistry starting in sept 2014. I have received both an initial offer and an offer from the College.
Since I have to complete the 'financial declaration' I would like to know when results about Scholarships are usually taken. I have no personal funding, and I cannot go to Oxford if I get no Scholarship :frown:

Was the position not funded? Normally with DPhils they are funded by external bodies rather than the Uni itself, and you have to compete with others for funding.

Have you spoken to your supervisor?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
I have not spoken to him yet, but when I did the application he suggested to tick for all the Scholarships avaiable.. in the offer letter (that I received in December) it was just written 'decisions about scholarships are usually taken after the January deadline'..
and now I don't know what to do
Reply 3
Original post by SimiMellin
I have not spoken to him yet, but when I did the application he suggested to tick for all the Scholarships avaiable.. in the offer letter (that I received in December) it was just written 'decisions about scholarships are usually taken after the January deadline'..
and now I don't know what to do

If you asked in the Postgraduate forum, you might have better luck finding some advice! :smile:

I only have experience with Humanities funding at Oxford, but I know that it's still too early for many of the university scholarships to be decided - decisions regarding Clarendon funding, for example, are usually released in late March.

Your department will not decide on funding (whether they're granting university scholarships, or allocating EPSRC funding) until all the applicants submitted before the January deadline have been assessed. They'll then rank the applicants, and make offers of funding to the best ones. The deadline for Inorganic Chemistry was January 24th, so it's definitely still too soon for them to have made any decisions regarding funding.

The best thing you can do is to get in contact with the admissions officer at your department, and ask if they can tell you when they expect funding decisions to be made.

(If the "financial declaration" you're having to complete is for your college, then there shouldn't be any rush - you can wait a few months for funding decisions to be released before you decide whether or not to take up your place!)
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the clear explanation.. I have been admitted to Cambridge aswell that's why I would like to have a clear view in order to decide what to do..

Original post by HettyMerton
If you asked in the Postgraduate forum, you might have better luck finding some advice! :smile:

I only have experience with Humanities funding at Oxford, but I know that it's still too early for many of the university scholarships to be decided - decisions regarding Clarendon funding, for example, are usually released in late March.

Your department will not decide on funding (whether they're granting university scholarships, or allocating EPSRC funding) until all the applicants submitted before the January deadline have been assessed. They'll then rank the applicants, and make offers of funding to the best ones. The deadline for Inorganic Chemistry was January 24th, so it's definitely still too soon for them to have made any decisions regarding funding.

The best thing you can do is to get in contact with the admissions officer at your department, and ask if they can tell you when they expect funding decisions to be made.

(If the "financial declaration" you're having to complete is for your college, then there shouldn't be any rush - you can wait a few months for funding decisions to be released before you decide whether or not to take up your place!)
Reply 5
Original post by HettyMerton

Hey Hetty,

I have offer for Dr Phil from Oriental Studies school! do u know anything specific about the funding process there? This clarendon scholarship results will be out by late march,no?
there is another studentship for Islamic Studies and their webpage says results will be announced by July! isnt that too late?! anyone knows about this?
Reply 6
Original post by throned
Hey Hetty,

I have offer for Dr Phil from Oriental Studies school! do u know anything specific about the funding process there? This clarendon scholarship results will be out by late march,no?
there is another studentship for Islamic Studies and their webpage says results will be announced by July! isnt that too late?! anyone knows about this?

Hiya! :wavey: Congratulations on your offer!

You're right, Clarendon scholarships are usually released in late March/early April - I'm afraid I don't know anything about funding at the Oriental Studies department though, or their Islamic studentship.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to just email the department? Ask if they have any information on whether you've been shortlisted for funding, and when you might expect to hear anything about the Clarendon/the studentship? They're probably best placed to give you an answer. :smile:
Has anyone got the result of Clarendon? Could anyone give me some ideas about the departmental nomination?
Reply 8
I have an offer for a fully funded DPhil and I was wondering what the etiquette was on applying for college scholarships? I don't want to take funding from people who need it (i.e. those who are self-funding) but equally I don't want to miss out on a rent-free room for a year etc..

Any thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by CakeTurtle
I have an offer for a fully funded DPhil and I was wondering what the etiquette was on applying for college scholarships? I don't want to take funding from people who need it (i.e. those who are self-funding) but equally I don't want to miss out on a rent-free room for a year etc..

Any thoughts?

Congrats!! :smile:
I'm still waiting to hear from them about funding! can u give us a bit of info about when u applied and when heard about the funding? is it Clarendon or other resources?
tnx :smile:
Reply 10
I applied for the January deadline and I'm on one of the Wellcome Trust 4yr programmes. I had an interview at the end of Jan and then got the thumbs up a week later.
Original post by CakeTurtle

Any thoughts?

Hey! From what my department tell me, they like to put you forward for funding from College's etc. as it frees up more departmental money for students who can't gain competitive funding. So I wouldn't feel too bad about taking funding from people, as if you gain College funding part of your Departmental funding will be removed and given to somebody else as you can't hold funding about the thresholds as far as I'm aware.

Also, my department emailed me when they were putting me forward for college specific scholarships, stating that they like to share the money as evenly as possible so it's good for the department if they can award more partial fundings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending