Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Anybody heard from actuarial science ?
Reply 5622
Original post by TheActuary
Anybody heard from actuarial science ?

Have you got the 17th march email?
Yeah but that emails been sent to everyone who's still waiting. Some people still got rejected yesterday though.
Reply 5624
I haven't received any "delay, 17th March". My 7 weeks mail is over next week.
Reply 5625
Original post by eloo
I haven't received any "delay, 17th March". My 7 weeks mail is over next week.

Same here, hopefully we either get a decision next week, or get the delay mail.
Reply 5626
Original post by Marhju
Same here, hopefully we either get a decision next week, or get the delay mail.

What were you applying for? :smile:
Reply 5627
Original post by eloo
What were you applying for? :smile:

Government and Economics (application sent 21st Dec), I feel like the government department has been veeery silent :wink: You?
Reply 5628
Management :smile:. Good luck then and hope we hear back from them next week!
Reply 5629
Original post by gracelich
Got UCL though :wink:Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, congratulations. I went for the open day on Wednesday and I just loved it. The teachers were fantastic speakers who knew their subject upside down and made it super interesting. When you go there you'll get why UCL is a world leading university. UCL is my insurance.Just out of curiosity, why did they reject you at LSE?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5630
Original post by #Unknown
Sorry for your rejection but you got rejected on a Saturday morning?

I am international student..where I live it was a Saturday..but I guess it was a Friday around 6 pm uk time.....I knew a rejection was coming so not really upset :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by D.N.Wojt
I have gotten the same mail for law&anthropology...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you received an offer for law and anthropology yet?
Original post by Marhju
What subject have you applied for?

stats w/finance, what about you?
Reply 5633
Original post by saimaahmadd
Have you received an offer for law and anthropology yet?

Out of curiosity, did you apply for law AND anthropology to study them together. Or you chose them separately? I'm only asking this as I'd like to study Law at LSE and Economics but I thought you can't combine LLB degree with anything else
Did anyone sit the UGAA today? Thoughts?

I think I goofed up on a couple of questions in Section C (no section D for me, yay) but I'm applying for BSc Government so I don't think (hopefully) they're looking for incredible talent with maths,

Thought the précis and essay topics were very gentle. Much easier than I anticipated overall, which is famous last words I know!
Original post by StretfordEnd
Did anyone sit the UGAA today? Thoughts?

I think I goofed up on a couple of questions in Section C (no section D for me, yay) but I'm applying for BSc Government so I don't think (hopefully) they're looking for incredible talent with maths,

Thought the précis and essay topics were very gentle. Much easier than I anticipated overall, which is famous last words I know!

Yeah, I did. Also with Section C, which went OK, but I didn't have time to complete all of it.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the précis and the essay topics, but I guess it was somewhat like expected (I expected something to do with a relevant political topic (Snowden, Scottish independence, and/or of course the typical one on freedom speech)). I think my essay ended up being somewhat messy, and I feel like putting some of that blame on having a cold/the flu. But I'm overall pretty satisfied.

Which essay topic did you pick?
Original post by OssyTheDog
Yeah, I did. Also with Section C, which went OK, but I didn't have time to complete all of it.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the précis and the essay topics, but I guess it was somewhat like expected (I expected something to do with a relevant political topic (Snowden, Scottish independence, and/or of course the typical one on freedom speech)). I think my essay ended up being somewhat messy, and I feel like putting some of that blame on having a cold/the flu. But I'm overall pretty satisfied.

Which essay topic did you pick?

Press freedom in a democracy. I saw it as an opportunity to shoehorn it into a Ukraine discussion since I've read so much about it over the past few days so I spent a couple of paraphrase talking about sensationalism and crude, disingenuous reporting (frequent mentions of WWIII, putin compared to hitler, soviet union references agogo) as an example of press failures.

And I've only just finished a pretty extensive unit on Press accountability and news media practices on my college course so it was a pretty handy topic to be honest.

How about you?
Press freedom in a democracy. I saw it as an opportunity to shoehorn it into a Ukraine discussion since I've read so much about it over the past few days so I spent a couple of paraphrase talking about sensationalism and crude, disingenuous reporting (frequent mentions of WWIII, putin compared to hitler, soviet union references agogo) as an example of press failures.

And I've only just finished a pretty extensive unit on Press accountability and news media practices on my college course so it was a pretty handy topic to be honest.

How about you?

Just by the impression what you used in your essay, it sounds pretty well done! Hope it pays of and you get an offer!

I chose the same topic. I'm mostly interested in philosophy (and some in politics/political philosophy -- which is why I've applied Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method), so I tried to steer it a bit in a comfortable direction by discussing who that could possibly determine what is OK and not OK to publish, and by mentioning John Milton's Areopagitica, and some debates on publishing of books and works which challenge the norm (like holocaust deniers).

I think my essay might have been a bit too one-sided though, which is never a good thing. I should have used a bit more time arguing against absolute press freedom. And I think it might have derailed a bit into becoming an essay on freedom of expression, and not just press freedom...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OssyTheDog
X

In all honestly (and this is totally speculation) I would be very surprised if they didn't expect applicants to be at least a little one sided, and definitely to steer the essay into comfortable territory.

After all, you don't know what you're going to be faced with; many applicants will not yet have had any formal education in politics, philosophy or economics and anyone taking the assessment would be nuts not to try and approach their essay topic from an angle which incorporates their existing knowledge rather than 'writing blind'

Are you a mature or international student?
In all honestly (and this is totally speculation) I would be very surprised if they didn't expect applicants to be at least a little one sided, and definitely to steer the essay into comfortable territory.

After all, you don't know what you're going to be faced with; many applicants will not yet have had any formal education in politics, philosophy or economics and anyone taking the assessment would be nuts not to try and approach their essay topic from an angle which incorporates their existing knowledge rather than 'writing blind'

Are you a mature or international student?

That might be right. As long as it's relevant, I don't think there is anything wrong with going a bit of tracks considering the circumstances, as you mention.

I'm an international applicant (from Norway). What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending