The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just had my first interview. They shortlisted at lunch after the lesson observation, and I managed to get through to the formal interviews.. Waited around for 4 hours to then be rejected after interview. Absolutely gutted and now got to go home and plan my lessons for tomorrow which is really the last thing I want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Just had my first interview. They shortlisted at lunch after the lesson observation, and I managed to get through to the formal interviews.. Waited around for 4 hours to then be rejected after interview. Absolutely gutted and now got to go home and plan my lessons for tomorrow which is really the last thing I want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, sorry to hear that. Count it as experience and I'm sure you'll be even better next time. I think it's something we have to be prepared for, rejection. It might take a few before we get the break.

What kind of questions did they ask if you don't me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you think schools consider locality when choosing applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Aww, sorry to hear that. Count it as experience and I'm sure you'll be even better next time. I think it's something we have to be prepared for, rejection. It might take a few before we get the break.

What kind of questions did they ask if you don't me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's harder to deal with than I thought! Was in tears after I left (sounds sad haha). I just loved the school and felt like I'd be an excellent fit. Ah well, obviously wasn't meant to be!

Ermmm they asked about things like safeguarding, a good lesson that I have taught, how I thought my observation lesson went, what extra-curricular skills I could bring to the school, why I chose to teach History, how I would deal with conflict of opinion with another staff member, how I can create a vibrant classroom... can't remember any others but I'll post if I do.
It's harder to deal with than I thought! Was in tears after I left (sounds sad haha). I just loved the school and felt like I'd be an excellent fit. Ah well, obviously wasn't meant to be!

Ermmm they asked about things like safeguarding, a good lesson that I have taught, how I thought my observation lesson went, what extra-curricular skills I could bring to the school, why I chose to teach History, how I would deal with conflict of opinion with another staff member, how I can create a vibrant classroom... can't remember any others but I'll post if I do.

Yeah I can imagine how hard it's to take. I've yet to be called for interview but there's a couple schools I'd really like to get my foot in and I'll be rather gutted if they say no at any time.

Ok, the questions are not too bad but I guess it's about the way one conveys themselves - that's where I think I'll fall short.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sick of job interviews now. I've had about 4 in the past three weeks. The last two I missed out on due to lack of experience :/ The one I went to today told me I was an outstanding candidate but the other person outperformed me, which was inevitable because she had 4 years exp!
Original post by Shelly_x
Sick of job interviews now. I've had about 4 in the past three weeks. The last two I missed out on due to lack of experience :/ The one I went to today told me I was an outstanding candidate but the other person outperformed me, which was inevitable because she had 4 years exp!

That's essentially why I lost out today. The other candidate slightly outperformed me on the day (we were both trainees so on a level playing field in that sense). Comes down to luck sometimes!
Reply 2967

I cried too after leaving my first interview having failed to make the afternoon bit. I hate teaching interviews! I hate being judged on teaching to a group of children I've never met before! I knew I needed to ask for feedback afterwards to help with other interviews and it was the hardest thing not to cry during it!

But looking back it was a learning experience. I now know that I need to prepare tougher tasks to really challenge children, as you never know what level they will be at!

Xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Got two interviews next week now - one Monday and one Wednesday.

I've planned my Monday lesson roughly but it needs tweaking I think and I'm going to ask my tutor's advice tomorrow. I'm worried it's too 'safe' though, there's nothing particularly special about it or is it purely the pupil progression the observer is interested in? I have 50 minutes to teach the lesson whereas my Wednesday interview is 25 minutes.
Original post by Steveluis10

I've planned my Monday lesson roughly but it needs tweaking I think and I'm going to ask my tutor's advice tomorrow. I'm worried it's too 'safe' though, there's nothing particularly special about it or is it purely the pupil progression the observer is interested in? I have 50 minutes to teach the lesson whereas my Wednesday interview is 25 minutes.

Progression is a major thing they'll be looking for, but they'll also be focusing on how you interact with the pupils. Particularly in a shorter interview lesson, they know progress is limited by the fact that you don't know the pupils' abilities and prior knowledge so can't plan accordingly, but if you show some differentiation and ability to adapt to the kids you've got in front of you it shows them you will be able to promote good progress when you have your own classes.

I don't think you should aim to do anything too "special" - stick to things which you've done before and which have worked well in the past, which aren't too complicated to explain and set up. If you have an activity which fits the previous criteria and which you know other pupils have enjoyed then use it, but don't go nuts trying to make it so engaging/fun that you end up taking loads of risks and overcomplicating things.

Obviously that's just my opinion - there are other more experienced posters on here who may disagree.
I have an interview for Brent's NQT pool. Anyone can offer any advice? Not specifically for Brent but just what to expect with pool interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm yet to go for interview but one thing I was told by someone is if the class has lolly sticks use them. Since it's a secondary school they probably won't but no harm asking. And try to get a few names of the kids in while teaching.

One question. Does your mentor mind you leaving school? I have to tell mine about my interview next week but just worried that it's gonna be a trend - I'm gonna have quite a few interviews. But I guess my mentor should be okay as she should kinda expected it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keep at it, you should know that people like you will inspire countless discoveries in the future.
Reply 2973
Original post by qwerty_mad
I'm yet to go for interview but one thing I was told by someone is if the class has lolly sticks use them. Since it's a secondary school they probably won't but no harm asking. And try to get a few names of the kids in while teaching.

One question. Does your mentor mind you leaving school? I have to tell mine about my interview next week but just worried that it's gonna be a trend - I'm gonna have quite a few interviews. But I guess my mentor should be okay as she should kinda expected it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have to expect a certain amount of absences, after all it's a vocational course! At my uni they accepted absences for interviews but preferred that you tried to avoid them for looking round schools.

Xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been offered 3 interviews next week!

One on Monday and two on Wednesday.

The one I really want is on Wednesday so going to have to cancel the other interview on that day - what's the etiquette when it comes to doing that? What excuse should I give?
I have been offered 3 interviews next week!

One on Monday and two on Wednesday.

The one I really want is on Wednesday so going to have to cancel the other interview on that day - what's the etiquette when it comes to doing that? What excuse should I give?

'Due to unforeseen circumstances I will not be attending the interview on Wednesday. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.'
But if you're offered the one on Monday and accept (they will more than likely want an immediate answer) you can't interview at your desired choice on Wednesday.
People, I am currently in a position where pulling all my hair out one by one feels easier than being rejected and doing prep for interviews. So, for all those people that feel the same as me or even worse, can we please have some kind words of advice?? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelly_x
'Due to unforeseen circumstances I will not be attending the interview on Wednesday. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.'
But if you're offered the one on Monday and accept (they will more than likely want an immediate answer) you can't interview at your desired choice on Wednesday.

Yeah I understand this. The way I see it, if I get a good vibe from the school, my lesson goes well and I get offered the job on Monday then I'll accept and be very pleased that I've impressed them so much and have secured a job. If I don't get it I'll have good experience before Wednesday and will have the chance for feedback as to how I can improve.
Yeah I understand this. The way I see it, if I get a good vibe from the school, my lesson goes well and I get offered the job on Monday then I'll accept and be very pleased that I've impressed them so much and have secured a job. If I don't get it I'll have good experience before Wednesday and will have the chance for feedback as to how I can improve.

Good attitude to have :smile: good luck!
My mentor sat me down today and told me that she'll be trying to get me into as soon as possible. I'm on the Primary 5-11 route so doing KS1 and KS2. However because the uni found it so difficult to find a KS1 place they put me in Reception. But I'm not suited to it and finding it kinda difficult to adjust. She said she will email my uni to let them know. Will this harm me in any way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending