The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx

You have to be strict with yourself. There is ALWAYS something else you can do. ALWAYS. So you need to just say 'today, I am not working at home' or 'today, I go home at 5pm' and then DO IT. It's not about the amount of work but how you make yourself manage it.

xxx

TOTALLY agree with this. It will keep you sane!!

Tonight for example - I planned my only lesson for tomorrow when I was free last week, so I have nothing urgent to do. I have tons of little things I SHOULD be doing, but none of them are urgent so after staff training and a terrible lesson today, I decided to have the night off! Makes such a difference. It is hard getting past that feeling of guilt, but you have to have a break sometime.
I'm losing control. I need help, someone to talk to, someone who will listen
Original post by outlaw-torn
Had one of those lessons today where you just think: why on earth do I bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had an entire day like this today. The low point was one of my pupils whipping another pupil with a skipping rope at break time. Not just once, but he got another pupil to hold the victim and whipped him like they did for punishment in the old days?!?!...I feel like I've worked so hard with this pupil via home/school communication, focus areas at school etc and things were improving then this happens!
I've been teaching long enough now to know that things generally don't just improve in a straight line, but it doesn't stop it being frustrating when the regression comes.
Then we had a training session (on AFL which I have had a LOT of training sessions on...) straight after teaching so I didn't get time to follow it up properly! Argh.

Original post by sunfowers01

I need to be cruel to be kind here.

Everyone here listens to you every time you post. I feel like you really shouldn't be doing your job if it makes you feel so bad that you make posts like these every other day.

I swear you've been making posts like this for over a year. It's not worth putting yourself through hell doing a job you struggle with and don't get supported in for so long. Trust me, I've been there. I quit and am so much happier for it (and a better teacher). Quit, come home, find something else to do. I feel there's little else we in this thread can help you with. You've received a lot of advice here, if none of it works or you are unable to put it into practice for whatever reason then I don't think you're in the right job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by outlaw-torn
Had one of those lessons today where you just think: why on earth do I bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!

My Year 9 bottom set literally wouldn't even try to do anything today. They can do it (ie: match up the vocabulary in Spanish and English - most of words are cognates then a couple of harder ones) but they rip up their paper and flick ink at each other instead.

I think I'm going to do an iPad lesson on Friday with stuff where the few who do try can easily move ahead and get on, and so the reluctant writers can type instead for a change. But that brings other problems with it in terms of them playing games/taking photos etc. instead of the work.
Original post by myrtille
Same!

My Year 9 bottom set literally wouldn't even try to do anything today. They can do it (ie: match up the vocabulary in Spanish and English - most of words are cognates then a couple of harder ones) but they rip up their paper and flick ink at each other instead.

I think I'm going to do an iPad lesson on Friday with stuff where the few who do try can easily move ahead and get on, and so the reluctant writers can type instead for a change. But that brings other problems with it in terms of them playing games/taking photos etc. instead of the work.

How about using the ipads as a reward? So the ones that do the initial written work are allowed to use the ipads for the rest of the lesson.

If it's a set that is consistently difficult then you could make it a permanent thing for a little while and then try increasing the amount of work that needs to be completed before ipad time?

Hey inbox me if you need a chat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, sorry if this is a bit irrelevant but I have a question. I basicay just want to know if it is possible to balance a pgde and a job at the same time without falling behind on the workload. I'm starting the pgde at Glasgow after summer and after my undergrad degree I really don't want to take out another loan. Any advice? How many hours do you suggest is a fair amount? I've been told that the pgde in Scotland is equivalent to a masters which is a bit frightening for me because my undergrad involved no dissertation whatsoever and barely any theory so trying to get into essay writing again is going to be unfamiliar for me at first. Any comment would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hippygirl
Hey, sorry if this is a bit irrelevant but I have a question. I basicay just want to know if it is possible to balance a pgde and a job at the same time without falling behind on the workload. I'm starting the pgde at Glasgow after summer and after my undergrad degree I really don't want to take out another loan. Any advice? How many hours do you suggest is a fair amount? I've been told that the pgde in Scotland is equivalent to a masters which is a bit frightening for me because my undergrad involved no dissertation whatsoever and barely any theory so trying to get into essay writing again is going to be unfamiliar for me at first. Any comment would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once on placement you'll likely be doing full time hours plus the academic side of the course. I wouldn't recommend working more than a few hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3088

Posted from TSR Mobile

For many people I would say no, it's honestly not doable. But some people can manage. You know yourself best and whether you can focus on so many different things at once. Personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Btw, on the essay writing, I did a maths degree with no dissertation and was worried about writing essays but actually found it fine. So don't panic! They offer plenty of support as even those from essay subjects may have been out of education for years.

Can I ask, do you own your own property? If not then do you plan to? I ask because it's likely you'll need to get a mortgage one day. I hate the idea of debt and was very hesitant about taking out more student loans, esp. for the new £9k fees (in England). But then I thought 'If I don't take it now, I will have to take it on a mortgage instead, which is much worse debt than student loan debt'. Even if you worked anyway you'd probably be better saving/investing the money for a deposit, rather than not taking a student loan. Just my personal view though!

xxx
Original post by myblueheaven339
Once on placement you'll likely be doing full time hours plus the academic side of the course. I wouldn't recommend working more than a few hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is doable, as previously stated it depends on you as a person.

I could not survive as I need to let my body recuperate during my limited free time. I know of many people who are working part time and they are juggling a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013

I could not survive as I need to let my body recuperate during my limited free time. I know of many people who are working part time and they are juggling a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate that some people will find it manageable, I just said that I wouldn't recommend it, just my personal opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work 5-8 on weekends (so 6 hrs total) and I find that difficult to fit around the work, and also because I just have no time to relax! But it is doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started the PGCE working 15 hours a week but then reduced to 7.5 hours which I'm currently doing. It was manageable but I couldn't commit because of travel from school to work wants feasible and I just wanted a little breather; my job is working with kids.

Do what you can manage - everyone's different. Just be careful not to overburden yourself and make sure you know your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by kpwxx
For many people I would say no, it's honestly not doable. But some people can manage. You know yourself best and whether you can focus on so many different things at once. Personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Btw, on the essay writing, I did a maths degree with no dissertation and was worried about writing essays but actually found it fine. So don't panic! They offer plenty of support as even those from essay subjects may have been out of education for years.

Can I ask, do you own your own property? If not then do you plan to? I ask because it's likely you'll need to get a mortgage one day. I hate the idea of debt and was very hesitant about taking out more student loans, esp. for the new £9k fees (in England). But then I thought 'If I don't take it now, I will have to take it on a mortgage instead, which is much worse debt than student loan debt'. Even if you worked anyway you'd probably be better saving/investing the money for a deposit, rather than not taking a student loan. Just my personal view though!

xxx

Original post by pgce2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate that some people will find it manageable, I just said that I wouldn't recommend it, just my personal opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Shelly_x
I work 5-8 on weekends (so 6 hrs total) and I find that difficult to fit around the work, and also because I just have no time to relax! But it is doable.

Original post by qwerty_mad
I started the PGCE working 15 hours a week but then reduced to 7.5 hours which I'm currently doing. It was manageable but I couldn't commit because of travel from school to work wants feasible and I just wanted a little breather; my job is working with kids.

Do what you can manage - everyone's different. Just be careful not to overburden yourself and make sure you know your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all of your comments I feel a good bit more informed. I currently rent property in the Scottish borders where I am at uni and my loan pays for that and I just have the fear that I will not escape student debt! This year I plan to live in between home and at my bfs in Glasgow. I guess it is just one more year of debt and then the probation year which is paid so that will be good knowing that money is mine and I don't have to pay it back :-D I feel for you guys in England 9k is ****ing crazy!!! I think if that was me, the idea of going to uni would be out of the window! I will look into the loan a lot more. I'm scrimping and saving as it is so without it would be impossible and even though I will be living at home this time, my mum and dad aren't well off enough to provide for me at this age which I have never expected, I've always been really self reliant. Just that this is the first time I feel really stuck with this whole money thing but more and more a loan does seem like the only valid option right now like you guys say its either not doable or it is at a really small amount of hours which would probs only earn me enough for traveling to uni . sorry for the long post aha I guess I am still working it out. Thanks :smile:
I feel for you guys in England 9k is ****ing crazy!!!

We get bursaries though. It costs 9K, and I get a 9K bursary (for secondary English). Some people - who do short-supply subjects like science and MFL - get given twice that amount.
Reply 3095
Never been so miserable and treated so dismissively before. A week from hell.
Original post by lantan
Never been so miserable and treated so dismissively before. A week from hell.

Wanna talk about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3097
Wanna talk about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know it it's gonna help. I'm very tired of getting my confidence trampled over time after time.
So I was offered a job today at my 2nd placement school! So happy!
Reply 3099
Original post by Shelly_x
So I was offered a job today at my 2nd placement school! So happy!

Well done!!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending