The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBugle
How did you come to that bizarre conclusion?

People will put off now that they know they will be voting for tories or tory light at westminster.

You know, not every Tory policy is the work of Satan. They legalised gay marriage before the more socially aware Scottish Parliament.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
You know, not every Tory policy is the work of Satan. They legalised gay marriage before the more socially aware Scottish Parliament.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More Scots also voted for Margaret Thatcher than have ever voted for Alex Salmond as well.

Don't worry. Loud shouty minorities always seem to think that they're right and everybody else is wrong.

It would appear that Bugle seems to think that non shouty people seem to be driven by anti Tory rhetoric. I'm not going to destroy my future because of a political party who's policies 25 years ago killed off industry that was already dying.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
I'm not sure if I'm being honest, if maths tutor was using caps then of course I'm not going to condone that. I didn't know that if its true.

Original post by Boab
You're just a broken record man. Its been stated on here multiple times, and there is government published evidence of what plan B etc is, but that doesn't fit into your agenda, so, blah blah blah

Original post by Boab
I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall here. I have answered this, many times already.

Tartanarmy, as Boab has noticed, for YES supporters it is like banging your head against a brick wall here.

The likes of Midlander and MatureStudent36 have an agenda of repeating the same lies over and over again even if the facts have been pointed out to them in BOLD CAPITALS.

I just hope that Midlander's PhD has nothing to do with numbers because he simply can't get it into his head that England, Wales or Northern Ireland are NOT subsidising Scotland and that is proved by the simple fact that they don't generate enough revenues even to meet their own expenditure, let alone provide a 'gravy train' to Scotland.

Ever since he started posting on this thread, he has been going on about Anglophobia being widespread in Scotland and that independence is all about anti-Englishness, refusing to accept that a very small minority falls into that category.

MatureStudent36 spends his waking life on this thread and all the records he has are stuck.

Most YES posters are soon hounded out of this thread by the likes of Midlander, MatureStudent36 and their hero L i b, not by winning the argument but by repeatedly lying and distorting others' posts.

The No camp's scaremongering is backfiring spectacularly and even the likes mentioned above seem to have been taken aback a little recently.

The Times today has the results of a survey showing that 45% of Scots think that the unionists are bluffing about no to a currency union, compared to 40% who take them seriously.

As I had pointed out a few months ago, a majority of the people of Scotland are no longer going to be taken for fools.
Original post by Maths Tutor
The Times today has the results of a survey showing that 45% of Scots think that the unionists are bluffing about no to a currency union, compared to 40% who take them seriously.

I assume they interviewed a whole 45% of the Scottish electorate?

Not that it matters, these throw-away polls are reasonably variable and have no bearing on the actual referendum at hand (unless they want to ask 'do you support Scottish independence?').

And they can assume it's a bluff all they want. It's not.

When the yes campaign can tell Scots where the money/benefits of independence are coming from and how they outweigh the stark negatives, then they may vote for them.

Until then Scotland is going to return a resounding no. The yes campaigns endless reserve of (outward) optimism being commendable aside, delusion serves no purpose but to raise questions of one's sanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as I dislike Cameron and his government, that is in fact a point in their favour, lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tartanarmy, as Boab has noticed, for YES supporters it is like banging your head against a brick wall here.

The likes of Midlander and MatureStudent36 have an agenda of repeating the same lies over and over again even if the facts have been pointed out to them in BOLD CAPITALS.

I just hope that Midlander's PhD has nothing to do with numbers because he simply can't get it into his head that England, Wales or Northern Ireland are NOT subsidising Scotland and that is proved by the simple fact that they don't generate enough revenues even to meet their own expenditure, let alone provide a 'gravy train' to Scotland.

Ever since he started posting on this thread, he has been going on about Anglophobia being widespread in Scotland and that independence is all about anti-Englishness, refusing to accept that a very small minority falls into that category.

MatureStudent36 spends his waking life on this thread and all the records he has are stuck.

Most YES posters are soon hounded out of this thread by the likes of Midlander, MatureStudent36 and their hero L i b, not by winning the argument but by repeatedly lying and distorting others' posts.

The No camp's scaremongering is backfiring spectacularly and even the likes mentioned above seem to have been taken aback a little recently.

As I had pointed out a few months ago, a majority of the people of Scotland are no longer going to be taken for fools.

Every country in the UK is subsidised by the central government, MT. You may not like hearing it but that is a fact at this moment in time.

As for anti Englishness, I have posted God knows how many examples of it from the Yes campaign. It is not a minority. Why would I be so adamant on this if I hadn't had experienced it so many times?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes the one where almost half of the conservative MPs tried to block the reform? How noble of them.

It would have happened no matter who was in charge
Original post by Jordooooom
Ah yes the one where almost half of the conservative MPs tried to block the reform? How noble of them.

It would have happened no matter who was in charge

So what. Westminster passed it before Holyrood which professes to be the pillar of fairness and liberalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what. Westminster passed it before Holyrood which professes to be the pillar of fairness and liberalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'So what'? The fact that what, 133 or so MP's in the party that runs this country voted against legalising same sex marriage and you say 'so what'? Yeah you're right.. all this time we have had those Tories all wrong. They are in fact the model which Holyrood and the rest of the world should strive to be :rolleyes:
Reply 7188

All the other points aside, I don't see how a currency union is possible without a referendum for the rest of the UK - it's really not a bluff, it's a practicality. The risks are too big for both sides of that currency union, and why would Scotland want a currency controlled by an institution that is looking out for the UK (i.e. not an independent Scotland)?

Maybe it will happen, but very unlikely without a referendum or some kind of masterstroke of manipulation from the yes campaign.

Feel free to correct me where I'm factually wrong...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jordooooom
'So what'? The fact that what, 133 or so MP's in the party that runs this country voted against legalising same sex marriage and you say 'so what'? Yeah you're right.. all this time we have had those Tories all wrong. They are in fact the model which Holyrood and the rest of the world should strive to be :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that gay marriage was legalised under a Tory led government before it was legalised under an SNP led government. Those are the bare facts facing you and the icing on the cake is that the House of Lords, widely decried by the Yes campaign, blocked stalling legislation by the Tory rebels to the bill and hastened this becoming law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah. Maths tutors back. The gift that keeps on giving to the no campaign.

So which independently verifiable information do you want to class as lies.
Reply 7191
Original post by MatureStudent36
Ah. Maths tutors back. The gift that keeps on giving to the no campaign.

I think you have confused the NO campaign with the irrelevant ramblings of this forum, unless, this is the NO campaign?
Wouldn't surprise I suppose, the grass roots element of NO is pretty pathetic in comparison to the scale of YES, which could be a key factor come September.

But don't you worry, keep telling yourself, people are lying to the pollsters, if that keeps you happy. :rolleyes:
Original post by Boab
I think you have confused the NO campaign with the irrelevant ramblings of this forum, unless, this is the NO campaign?
Wouldn't surprise I suppose, the grass roots element of NO is pretty pathetic in comparison to the scale of YES, which could be a key factor come September.

But don't you worry, keep telling yourself, people are lying to the pollsters, if that keeps you happy. :rolleyes:

Go back through MT's posts on here. He was quite honestly unhinged, though seems to have (re)gained sanity now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L i b
The only significant debate in terms of fiscal powers was on the Scottish Parliament's borrowing abilities. Basically, they didn't have any - less than a local authority, for example. The Salmond administration followed the Labour principle of spending to get us out of recession and, despite funding coming from London, suggested that it was a lack of these powers that was buggering the economy.

The Scotland Act 2012 now legislates for fairly significant borrowing powers for Holyrood, although they won't come in for a couple of years yet.

Look where Labour's spending policies went though. Answer = Nowhere. Labour's handling of the economy was faulty, wrongful and economically incompetent.
Reply 7194
[video="youtube;vMnWUkW9kBY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnWUkW9kBY[/video]

Only just seen this.
Johann Lamont is an utter car crash of a politician.

Anyone on the NO side know how they could very easily win this referendum tomorrow, with one joint statement? I do, and it would be very simple, but thankfully they won't, due to their inability to work together, despite their 'Better Together' name.
Original post by Boab

Surely, with the polls continuing to show the no vote in the lead, it must be the pro-independence crowd that hopes the people are lying?
Reply 7196
Original post by Good bloke
Surely, with the polls continuing to show the no vote in the lead, it must be the pro-independence crowd that hopes the people are lying?

Of course not, you don't convince people overnight. By my reckoning we should overtake NO sometime around July :biggrin:
Original post by Boab

Amazed you use the word rambling in your response.

All the evidence indicates that that the YeSNP campaign has been telling some not inconsiderable lies.
Original post by Boab
Of course not, you don't convince people overnight. By my reckoning we should overtake NO sometime around July :biggrin:

Keep telling yourself that.

Maths tutor went off line for several months after making predictions that didn't come to fruition.

Has Swinney re assessed the revenues from North Sea oil yet? Or is he still sticking by his made up numbers from a few months back?

Have we had an announcement on the missing EU paperwork fromHolyrood yet?

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_EuropeanandExternalRelationsCommittee/Inquiries/Letter_from_Viviane_Reding_Vice_President_of_the_European_Commission_dated_20_March_2014__pdf.pdf
Reply 7199
Original post by MatureStudent36
Amazed you use the word rambling in your response.

All the evidence indicates that that the YeSNP campaign has been telling some not inconsiderable lies.

Bravo Sir, just ignore everything and revert to saying YES is lying!

NO are of course beacons of honesty! :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending