The Student Room Group

An elderly lady asked me to give my seat on the bus.

And I said no.

You might think this is actually selfish but there were free chairs available but she wanted one by the window.

Was I rude?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah not if there were free chairs.
I had to give up my seat today on the train to a mother and a baby when i worked hard to get the last available seat on the district line carriage. I had to stand up for a good 13 stops. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Nope. Sometimes old people feel a sense of entitlement. Of course, if there were no seats available common decency dictates that you offer your own.
If there were other free chairs then nahh you weren't imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends really.
Was it the seats that are near the front of the bus, usually accompanied by a 'please reserve for elderly or disabled'?
How elderly are we talking?
Were the other seats much further back on the bus?
Reply 6
Where were the other seats?
Reply 7
Original post by buchanan700
It depends really.
Was it the seats that are near the front of the bus, usually accompanied by a 'please reserve for elderly or disabled'?
How elderly are we talking?
Were the other seats much further back on the bus?

It was near the front of the bus, but the bus was practically empty. She just wanted my seat. And I wasn't having it. I ignored her remarks and put a bag on the chair that was attached to mine and paid no attention to her.
Original post by Red one
It was near the front of the bus, but the bus was practically empty. She just wanted my seat. And I wasn't having it. I ignored her remarks and put a bag on the chair that was attached to mine and paid no attention to her.

Maybe she was disabled and couldn't walk far and so wanted the front one
Nope, you were right to say no. She was abusing her old-lady privileges, and just being plain greedy :biggrin:
Reply 10
I would just give it out of politeness anyway. It's a seat for goodness sake.
Original post by Red one

Good on you, she's the one being selfish!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would other seats have required her to walk further? If so, you're being unnecessarily difficult.
She is an elderly lady, just get up from your ego fanatic seat that is reserved just for you by the looks of it. You know one day you will be old and roles will be reversed :smile: And a jumped up little cow wont give you her seat.
Original post by Red one

Yeah okay that's just being rude IMO. Elderly people need the front seats because they often find it difficult to move much further. Even if you didn't want to give up the seat, you could have offered the one next to you, or politely spoken to her to decline the request.
Reply 15
Original post by Origami Bullets
Would other seats have required her to walk further? If so, you're being unnecessarily difficult.

I'm claustrophobic so I always need to have the exit a few yards away otherwise I have a panic attack. Let's be honest if she's catching a bus @ 7 am she's capable of walking 2 meters to the next seat.
I'd have just given her my seat and chosen another one to sit on. Who sits near the front anyway? I never sit near the front if I can help it to avoid these situations...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well.. being brought up on values where I hold a sense of responsibility in regards to respecting my elders (assuming their demands don't conflict with my beliefs). I feel your attitude was inappropriate in this particular situation. Each to their own.
Reply 18
Why wouldn't you move if there were other available seats? Is it that much of a burden to you to move walk back to find another seat?
Reply 19
Original post by redz0r
Why wouldn't you move if there were other available seats? Is it that much of a burden to you to move walk back to find another seat?

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'd have just given her my seat and chosen another one to sit on. Who sits near the front anyway? I never sit near the front if I can help it to avoid these situations...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Well.. being brought up on values where I hold a sense of responsibility in regards to respecting my elders (assuming their demands don't conflict with my beliefs). I feel your attitude was inappropriate in this particular situation. Each to their own.

Old people have an entitlement issue though and I was making a stand.

Quick Reply

Latest