The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stopmessing
Another one?

Yes. You and all the other trolls must be proud of getting Arsenal to thread number 19 on TSR (while Liverpool are on their tenth, Man Utd their twelfth and Chelsea their fifth)
Original post by AR_95
But I wasn't actually complaining about the way we play, our tactics, or anything in that matter. The post was only regarding the discussion above about " who deserves a trophy" and only regarding that.
I still think my post makes sense when you take it into context.

Going about it in terms of years at the club is meaningless, otherwise Diaby would be in that category.
Original post by Birdman1234567
I agree with this tbh. It really is the last straw for a few of our player imo. Verm, Sagna, Kosc and Cazorla if we don't happen to pick up the FA cup, they'll become frustrated and impatient, Ozil will wonder what could have been. But we'll most likely win it though, and Ozil will then finally feel at home. Sagna deserves to lift the trophy if we do, the guy's been a unsung hero for the most part and hasn't been rewarded for his efforts.

Yup exactly. Hoping we do it, it could lead towards such good progress with both the current players and Arsenal as a club itself.
Reply 143
Youths losing to chelsea atm. Looks like we're heading out.
Reply 144
Original post by Stalin
Going about it in terms of years at the club is meaningless, otherwise Diaby would be in that category.

Editted my response

It's obviously not that black and white though. I mentioned Sagna/Rosicky/Walcott because they've been working hard year in and out for a long time. I just think it's wrong for players like Cazorla to show the attitude he has shown recently when it isn't backed up by his pitch performance. The fact that he's only been here for 2 years relates to why I think we don't owe him anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Editted my response

It's obviously not that black and white though. I mentioned Sagna/Rosicky/Walcott because they've been working hard year in and out for a long time. I just think it's wrong for players like Cazorla or Koscielny to demand a trophy like we owe it to them instead of them owing it to us.

What about the effort the following players put into every single game: OX, Flamini and Mert?
Original post by Numan786
Even though remy isn't really that great a player id reckon he'd thrive in our system and would score way more goals than giroud.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a possibility but I think I'm probably the only one that doesn't fancy Remy as much. I think we've got to give Giroud a bit more credit though for this season, he's scored only 2 or 3 goals less than Sturridge, he hasn't been injured majorly at all this season with the exception of that minor illness he had for a match or two and imagine playing under so much pressure just because your manager refused to buy another striker in which you can thrive off. Yeah, it's no doubt that Giroud misses some silly chances and doesn't get into the right areas sometimes but trust me, I think he's done well. He'll make a fine back up striker next season. However, I must add that Wenger told the media that Giroud will be central to his plans next season so we shouldn't even be 'confident' that we will get this WC striker in which we're all seeking. (Unless AW is just playing it down of course).
Reply 147
Original post by Stalin
What about the effort the following players put into every single game: OX, Flamini and Mert?

I didn't mention those guys in my rant because of their effort and performance. If we're going by this season then ofcourse Ox deserves a trophy, he's been one of our best and most hard working players this year, along with Mertesacker. Flamini's already won a trophy with us hasn't he?

Looking at it overall,
Ox and Mertesacker have only been playing with us for 2/3 seasons. Ox is very young too.
I'm not discrediting their contribution at all. But I stand by my point. A club doesn't owe a trophy to them anymore then they owe a trophy to the club.
I only mentioned Sagna/Rosicky/Walcott because of the amount of time they've put in. I completely forgot about Diaby, mainly cause he hasn't been around this season but like I said It's been a while since I've kept up with football and that's my own fault. In my initial post, I also said "correct me if I'm wrong" that those 3 (+ vermaelan) were the only one's who have passed the 5 year mark. I think this season makes Flamini's 5th though if I'm right? Should have mentioned him tbh, just completely forgot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Individuals like Rosicky, Sagna, Walcott, etc. have been here for a very long time but none of them have carried the team during our trophy drought, I don't see how any of these players "deserve" a trophy. The Arsenal as a football club and institution "deserves" a trophy, as well as the fans that have been patient for almost a decade or so.

Players may not have won a trophy here but our club has helped develop these individuals, taken them to Europe, stuck by these individuals when a lot of other clubs would have written them off, given them a massive pay-rise and made some into established international regulars for their countries.

We have given these players a lot.
Is this the new arsenal thread. I just realised the old one was locked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
Original post by little_tom
Individuals like Rosicky, Sagna, Walcott, etc. have been here for a very long time but none of them have carried the team during our trophy drought, I don't see how any of these players "deserve" a trophy. The Arsenal as a football club and institution "deserves" a trophy, as well as the fans that have been patient for almost a decade or so.

Players may not have won a trophy here but our club has helped develop these individuals, taken them to Europe, stuck by these individuals when a lot of other clubs would have written them off, given them a massive pay-rise and made some into established international regulars for their countries.

We have given these players a lot.

I guess you're right when you put it that way, we've done tremendous amounts for both Fabregas and RVP. I respect Fabregas, but the day RVP decided to celebrate after scoring against us, thought he defined scum.
Youth FA cup semi final on ITV 4
Arsenal 0-1 Chelsea (agg 1-3)
Original post by Icecream1
Youth FA cup semi final on ITV 4
Arsenal 0-1 Chelsea (agg 1-3)

Can't see any of that Chelsea squad breaking into their first team though
Reply 153
Original post by shawn_o1

A few deserve to though. Shame.
Original post by 419
A few deserve to though. Shame.

They will probably release them and then buy them back for £40m later or just loan them out to Vitesse Arnhem.
Original post by shawn_o1

Quite sad to think that the last player Chelsea brought through was John Terry.
whos in the final then with chelsea? forgot it was on tonight tbh, any good performers? heard akpom was on good form in the previous rounds
Original post by sr90
Quite sad to think that the last player Chelsea brought through was John Terry.

And he was a West Ham boy until he was 16...

...goes back way longer as well. Chelsea's youth record in the 1980s and 1990s is equally pitiful. Spurs generally useless as well. Generally speaking, any talented kid from the London area has come through at WHU, Arsenal or Palace for the South. Even kids like Merson who were from Chelsea's doorstep all found their way to AFC. The non-League sides have a great record as well Stuart Pearce, Les Ferdinand and Ian Wright are just 3 who played non-League for years before they were spotted.

Senrab in East London have a ridiculous record too
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
whos in the final then with chelsea? forgot it was on tonight tbh, any good performers? heard akpom was on good form in the previous rounds

Fulham, matches are fortnight monday and wednesday.

Not really. Akpom and Vickers maybe. But we were too insipid, narrow and obvious. They looked well drilled and professional. Sharper and more physical especially. It was men vs kids for majority of the night.

It improved a bit when Crowley came on. Eventhough he didn't play well, I like the look of Jebb.
Original post by 419
Fulham, matches are fortnight monday and wednesday.

Not really. Akpom and Vickers maybe. But we were too insipid, narrow and obvious. They looked well drilled and professional. Sharper and more physical especially. It was men vs kids for majority of the night.

It improved a bit when Crowley came on. Eventhough he didn't play well, I like the look of Jebb.

Vickers the keeper right? heard about the own goal but some of the highlights showed he had some decent saves in him. Crowley still progressing well im guessing, cant believe he's 16, how depressing. Was Zelalem playing?

Latest