The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawn_o1
If arsenal had beaten villa (h), Swansea (h), Stoke (a), West Brom (a) and Southampton (a), they'd be 12 points better off and the heavy defeats to Liverpool/City/Chelsea wouldn't be an issue

You could apply that to any team though. If United for example hadn't dropped all those stupid home points against Fulham, West Brom, Tottenham, Swansea, Newcastle we'd be 15 or so points better off and in contention for the title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 261

Subscribed.

Post dedicated to the scouse slayer, Obi Wan Diaby.
Reply 262
Original post by samiz20891
Tbf stoke away is not a fixture you have done well in over recent times, they seem to have the knowhow to beat you at the Britannia.

Yeah they cheat...

If the refs did their job stoke wouldn't be in the premier league.
Original post by zxh800

Subscribed.

Post dedicated to the scouse slayer, Obi Wan Diaby.

Has anyone seen that film 'Intouchables'?

Original post by shawn_o1
If arsenal had beaten villa (h), Swansea (h), Stoke (a), West Brom (a) and Southampton (a), they'd be 12 points better off and the heavy defeats to Liverpool/City/Chelsea wouldn't be an issue

No point dwelling on the past :smile: Plus you could say if walcott, ozil, ramsey, wilshere etc etc hadn't got injured then we could be doing much better than we are now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qua
Wasn't implying that that was motivated by racism at all (I don't think it is), and I agree the clichés are based on truth mostly. But I do think that in some cases African/black players tend to get reduced to their physical attributes. Keita for example is talked about as a "powerhouse", "engine" etc although his technical ability was just as great imo. Of course praising one thing doesn't mean one ignores/excludes the other and in Spain especially that physical strength is rarer than technical ability which is why that gets more noticed, but I can see why some black players would complain about it.

Guess that's getting a little off-topic now though.

Spoiler

Anyway regardless I think that the Balon d'or favours certain individuals and since 2009 it's been a glorified Golden boot+assists tally since Ronaldo joined Real Madrid. If they favour certain individuals, then clearly another award should be made that doesn't favour attacking players and/or assist machines. We're in an age that favours attacking play and technical over defensive play and physical prowess in football and this means that certain players will miss out even if their job is just as or more important to the team. Thinking about it Costa is most likely to get the Balon d'or from the Atlético side, same for Hazard but the system is based on defenders doing their job and they get no credit bar a brief mention on MOTD or a skysports article.

Rant over. Are there any indications as to who Arsenal will sign in this window. Wenger hasn't even made it clear that he wants a striker this window. I reckon he's looking to find a suitor for Bendtner and I wonder if he's planning on developing Sanogo, who I think is a good player. He gets into positions and just needs to improve on his finishing, Giroud needs to improve on his finishing and he's not even fast enough to get into good positions as much as Sanogo does.
Reply 266
Original post by Zürich

I liked the film and with Arsene Wenger as Driss and diaby as phillipe.
Original post by jam277

Spoiler

Anyway regardless I think that the Balon d'or favours certain individuals and since 2009 it's been a glorified Golden boot+assists tally since Ronaldo joined Real Madrid. If they favour certain individuals, then clearly another award should be made that doesn't favour attacking players and/or assist machines. We're in an age that favours attacking play and technical over defensive play and physical prowess in football and this means that certain players will miss out even if their job is just as or more important to the team. Thinking about it Costa is most likely to get the Balon d'or from the Atlético side, same for Hazard but the system is based on defenders doing their job and they get no credit bar a brief mention on MOTD or a skysports article.

Rant over. Are there any indications as to who Arsenal will sign in this window. Wenger hasn't even made it clear that he wants a striker this window. I reckon he's looking to find a suitor for Bendtner and I wonder if he's planning on developing Sanogo, who I think is a good player. He gets into positions and just needs to improve on his finishing, Giroud needs to improve on his finishing and he's not even fast enough to get into good positions as much as Sanogo does.

Bendtner is out of contract, will be interesting to see who picks him up. Worth a punt for a club like WHU imo.

Sanogo has something about him alright, gets into good positions, quick etc but his technique is way off. Apparently that's down to nerves though and once he settles down he'll be different apparently. Scored for fun for French youth teams.

Giroud is just wrecked I think, both mentally and physically. If he played 10 less games this season then he'd have maintained his early season form I think, when he was genuinely very good.

---

On transfers, Wenger's met with Aurier's agent from Toulouse. Looks like Sagna is off for sure. Links with Drimic and that's about it :colonhash:
Reply 269
Original post by Zürich
Bendtner is out of contract, will be interesting to see who picks him up. Worth a punt for a club like WHU imo.

Sanogo has something about him alright, gets into good positions, quick etc but his technique is way off. Apparently that's down to nerves though and once he settles down he'll be different apparently. Scored for fun for French youth teams.

Giroud is just wrecked I think, both mentally and physically. If he played 10 less games this season then he'd have maintained his early season form I think, when he was genuinely very good.

---

On transfers, Wenger's met with Aurier's agent from Toulouse. Looks like Sagna is off for sure. Links with Drimic and that's about it :colonhash:

Sagna can **** off tbh. So can Santi. Cba with these players who feel entitled and yet they don't turn up when it is needed.
Original post by Zürich
It's a cliche but the best African players do tend to fit into that description if you think about it, that perception has come from people using their eyes.

Generally top Spanish players are considered to be diminutive, technically gifted, slow etc because most of them are. Generally Scandinavian footballers are seen to be hard working, physically robust, tactically astute and well organised whilst lacking flair because most of them are to greater or lesser degrees in that box. It is not some anti-Spanish prejudice that stops us seeing all the Iberian 6'4, box to box engines, nor anti-Norwegian sentiment that stops us seeing their flamboyant, individualistic dribblers.

Frustration that there are exceptions to these cliches is one thing, but to feign confusion as to where these perceptions, even to see racism, is ludicrous really.

How often do we hear african players or players of african decent lauded for their skill and not their physical attributes. " He works so hard for the team" " Strong as an ox" "such a physically fit player" things like this are said on the regular about african players. It's not intentional, but it is definitely a form of unintentional harmful subtle racism.

The perception isn't only from the use of eyes tbh, sometimes players who fit into one position are pigeonholed as well, or they start out in one position and because they have certain physical attributes they are moved there from early on. I was shocked seeing Toure used as a CAM by mancini tbh won't even lie. Always saw him as a trditional DM. His greatest attributes for me aren't even defensive, yes he's powerful, but he also has great technique.

Theres nothing wrong with being the workhorse in the team though imo.

Mikel came to chelsea a very skillful number 10, but mourinho ruined his talents to work to his 'strengths'.
Original post by DurhamXI
Sagna can **** off tbh. So can Santi. Cba with these players who feel entitled and yet they don't turn up when it is needed.

Woah woah Sagna has been very very very loyal to us. Santi can stay.
Reply 272
Original post by Kruz
Woah woah Sagna has been very very very loyal to us. Santi can stay.

He is a footballer, he wants more money when he is getting over the hill. We offered very good terms and he is not budging. I also don't like Santi's comments in the press recently.
you're too emotional man
Szcz
RB Mert Kos Gibbs
Ramsey DM
Walcott Ozil LW
ST

I'd be quite pleased if we landed Drmic, Draxler, a top DM and a good RB.

And we'll need a new CB if Verm leaves.
Original post by DurhamXI
He is a footballer, he wants more money when he is getting over the hill. We offered very good terms and he is not budging. I also don't like Santi's comments in the press recently.

Santi's not lying most players want to win trophies what's wrong with that?
Reply 276
Original post by Kruz
Santi's not lying most players want to win trophies what's wrong with that?

Nothing. It's just that i do not like him as a player. He should not even be starting. He is Ozil's understudy imo.
Original post by 419

Why don't you just ask people who you'd like to mod? I'm sure River85 can think of a few. Whoever it is will be disliked.

May be they do? I don't know but I had a PM from the TSRcommunityteam or whoever it was but I deleted before reading it thinking it was another TSR House of Commons thing and the layout was being annoying. I'm guess if you get people to suggest potential mods then people may end up voting for their buddies and you get the whole issue of cliques associated with that.
Reply 278
Original post by NDGAARONDI
May be they do? I don't know but I had a PM from the TSRcommunityteam or whoever it was but I deleted before reading it thinking it was another TSR House of Commons thing and the layout was being annoying. I'm guess if you get people to suggest potential mods then people may end up voting for their buddies and you get the whole issue of cliques associated with that.

The MadVlad guy was begging me to be a mod but I refused his ass.

Please don't bottle fourth

You guys go through threads too quick
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

thats amazing

Latest