The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Question about the Open Plus scheme!

Hello, I've recently discovered the open plus (2+2) scheme and I'm very interested in applying to it, specifically to do a Chemistry degree. On the Open University page and the various university pages it say's that typically a student will study the OU part of the course part time over 2 years, so I'm wondering if its possible to complete the OU part of the course, assuming I'm studying full time (I'm talking like 8 hours a day here) in 1 year, or does the scheme demand you do it over two years?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any info, especially from someone who's personally done the scheme! I have emailed the OU, but I've been told by others that they're quite slow to reply, so I thought I'd check if anyone here has the answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Well I actually got a quick response, the OU said it's possible but you have to discuss it with your chosen university. I guess my question now is, has anyone managed to do the OU portion of the Open Plus scheme in 1 year, what was your subject, and how many hours a week did you put in.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Im doing open plus physics and most universities on open plus physics require 150 credits which is not possible in one year. I know chem is different... Im jealous :tongue:

the requirement modules for chemistry s104 and s151 are straight forward. If you have done science at Alevel and the higher level at GCSE then you will prob only need to do a few hours a week, if that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Davidswift9
Im doing open plus physics and most universities on open plus physics require 150 credits which is not possible in one year. I know chem is different... Im jealous :tongue:

the requirement modules for chemistry s104 and s151 are straight forward. If you have done science at Alevel and the higher level at GCSE then you will prob only need to do a few hours a week, if that.

Well I plan on going for study full time (distance learning isn't something new for me) so hopefully I can negotiate a 1 year instead of 2 year progression date.

I understand you're doing Physics not Chem but how long was your PS, and what stuff did you include, I have no clue how long I'm meant to do it. (I'm applying for York if that matters).
Original post by Igcsehelp
Well I plan on going for study full time (distance learning isn't something new for me) so hopefully I can negotiate a 1 year instead of 2 year progression date.

I understand you're doing Physics not Chem but how long was your PS, and what stuff did you include, I have no clue how long I'm meant to do it. (I'm applying for York if that matters).

My statement was about an A4 page in size 11 font. Im a mature student so I mentioned what my work experience to date was (its nothing to do with physics), I explained why I wanted to do physics and the aspects of physics that I enjoy studying. A cliche to say, but be honest because Im being interviewed before I join so I assume it will be centred around my statement.

Good luck with it! 1 year studying can be hectic but manageable if organised!

out of interest if your doing chemistry, is that not a 1 year progression by default?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
My statement was about an A4 page in size 11 font. Im a mature student so I mentioned what my work experience to date was (its nothing to do with physics), I explained why I wanted to do physics and the aspects of physics that I enjoy studying. A cliche to say, but be honest because Im being interviewed before I join so I assume it will be centred around my statement.

out of interest if your doing chemistry, is that not a 1 year progression by default?

It's actually 2 years by default as the program assumes you're doing it part time alongside a job, I'm actually going to try and study for it full time though, so I'm going to have to basically convince the University and the OU I'm capable of doing it in 1 year. It's only about 120 credits though, so it is possible.

Good luck to you to!
Reply 6

Super dumb question but are you meant to send your application form in a letter or just by email. I assumed I was meant to print it off and send It through post, but I don't want to look like a mug if I'm just meant to email it back.
Original post by Igcsehelp
Super dumb question but are you meant to send your application form in a letter or just by email. I assumed I was meant to print it off and send It through post, but I don't want to look like a mug if I'm just meant to email it back.

It says on the top of the application pack to return by mail i believe
Reply 8

Hi David, Which uni have you applied to?
Reply 9
Hi im doing open plus physics and my partner university is Sheffield.My advice would be to take your time do not rush it because the aim is to get there.
I'm doing the OpenPlus route for chemistry, going to Reading next year ('15) once I've passed the course I'm on now.

I just emailed the admissions tutor for chemistry at Reading and I had to send them an application/personal statement etc. Same to the OU, then I was invited to go to an visit day to Reading. It was all quite straight forward and nice.

I'm not 100% what to do after this though, I will probably have to contact them again about the transition from OU to the uni of Reading. As I'll be applying for accommodation at halls there.
Original post by Jake R C
Hi im doing open plus physics and my partner university is Sheffield.My advice would be to take your time do not rush it because the aim is to get there.

I'm starting OpenPlus physics in October with Sheffield too!
Does anybody know how long the application process for OpenPlus generally takes? Or is it dependent on how quickly the partner university responds to you?
Reply 13
Original post by a nice man
I'm starting OpenPlus physics in October with Sheffield too!
Cool and good luck!
Reply 14
You don't want to come across as a mug,otherwise they may not accept you haha.
I've applied for the Open Plus scheme and wondering how long the application process takes? Also do we have to go in for a interview with the Unis?

Quick Reply

Latest