The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pete_91
The problem is that 6-10m for Aurier will be taken from our current priorities of a DM, ST and LW. Not to mention the CB backup for Verm, especially as Sagna was 4th choice CB too.

In an ideal world we'd let Sagna go and I'd be fine with it because we'll adequately replace him. But you know we won't adequately replace him, whomever we get will take a season to bed in at least.

Kicking the can down the road then aren't we? Sagna will have to be replaced eventually and as I understand it Aurier is in demand all over Europe but wants to join AFC. Bit silly to pass the opportunity imo. Will Sagna be performing at the £100k/week level in 3 years time? Is he even now? Aurier will probably go right to the top in the meantime.

In terms of Sagna at CB, well in 3 years time Mert will be 32, Koscielny/Vermaelen 31 and Sagna 34. Surely the smart move is to buy a promising 21 year old CB now so we have some continuity at the back rather than all our CBS going over the cliff at once?

£6m is absolute peanuts to AFC with our reserves. If Arsenal spend £100m this summer there'll still be a good £50m hanging about at a time when our revenues are increasing massively. If we dont sign a DM/ST/LW then it wont be because we spent £6m on a new RB. And as I say, over 3 years well recoup it in saved wages so for accountancy purposes it's the equivalent of sticking £6m in a bond and being repaid £40k off it a week for 3 years. I think Wenger is smart enough to see that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Kicking the can down the road then aren't we? Sagna will have to be replaced eventually and as I understand it Aurier is in demand all over Europe but wants to join AFC. Bit silly to pass the opportunity imo. Will Sagna be performing at the £100k/week level in 3 years time? Is he even now? Aurier will probably go right to the top in the meantime.

In terms of Sagna at CB, well in 3 years time Mert will be 32, Koscielny/Vermaelen 31 and Sagna 34. Surely the smart move is to buy a promising 21 year old CB now so we have some continuity at the back rather than all our CBS going over the cliff at once?

£6m is absolute peanuts to AFC with our reserves. If Arsenal spend £100m this summer there'll still be a good £50m hanging about at a time when our revenues are increasing massively. If we dont sign a DM/ST/LW then it wont be because we spent £6m on a new RB. And as I say, over 3 years well recoup it in saved wages so for accountancy purposes it's the equivalent of sticking £6m in a bond and being repaid £40k off it a week for 3 years. I think Wenger is smart enough to see that.

Like I said I agree in principle, but I don't see us getting the 7 players we're going to need in the summer.
Original post by Pete_91
Like I said I agree in principle, but I don't see us getting the 7 players we're going to need in the summer.

Which 7 are they?

RB, back up LB, back up CB?

DM, LW, striker?

who's the last one?
Original post by Pete_91

We wont get 7 no but ST/DM/CB/RB would be realistic given that we're losing Bendtner, Fabianski and Sagna and have long term positions to fill in the other positions.

At GK I can see us just signing Viviano permanently or promoting Martinez from the youth set up so no increase to the wage bill etc.

Original post by matchdayG
Which 7 are they?

DM, LW, striker?

who's the last one?

GK probably? As I say, we have a fella called Viviano on loan from Fiorentina who's recently earned Italian caps so I can see us just signing him as 2nd choice keeper tbh.

Cant see us replacing Monreal either. He's been very poor at times this season but his inherent level is alot better than that as he has showed fairly often for us. Just needs to find consistency.
(edited 10 years ago)
Which 7 are they?

DM, LW, striker?

who's the last one?

replacement for Fabianski
Original post by little_tom
replacement for Fabianski
meh not much of a position. What happened to Viviano?
Reply 1006
Original post by Pete_91

Hardly see us getting more than 2 let alone 7
Which 7 are they?

DM, LW, striker?

who's the last one?

Assuming Fab, Verm and Sagna leave:

ST, DM, LW

RB, CB, CB (3rd and 4th choice)

GK
Which 7 are they?

DM, LW, striker?

who's the last one?

The one that's happy to be an understudy (or get injured pre-season)
Original post by Zürich
We wont get 7 no but ST/DM/CB/RB would be realistic given that we're losing Bendtner, Fabianski and Sagna and have long term positions to fill in the other positions.

At GK I can see us just signing Viviano permanently or promoting Martinez from the youth set up so no increase to the wage bill etc.

GK probably? As I say, we have a fella called Viviano on loan from Fiorentina who's recently earned Italian caps so I can see us just signing him as 2nd choice keeper tbh.

Cant see us replacing Monreal either. He's been very poor at times this season but his inherent level is alot better than that as he has showed fairly often for us. Just needs to find consistency.

Is this the same Viviano that used to play for Bologna? Used to be very highly rated. What the **** is he doing at you lot on loan, I doubt he's even got a game?

Monreal is atrocious. Go ahead and play him for 30 games a season given Gibbs' injury record. You won't get anywhere...
meh not much of a position. What happened to Viviano?

Loan deal terminates, and we have the option to make the deal permanent at the end of the season. Although Palermo (the club he's being loaned from) will be in Serie A next year, meaning he could quite easily go back if he wants to play every game.

We probably won't get 7 players. We will definately get another striker and another goalkeeper and hopefully another central midfielder. That's three players.

We don't need another LB. RB & CB is contingent on Sagna and Vermaelen leaving, and Wenger could be tempted to bring back Joel Campbell if he wants to add depth to the flanks.
Is this the same Viviano that used to play for Bologna? Used to be very highly rated. What the **** is he doing at you lot on loan, I doubt he's even got a game?

Monreal is atrocious. Go ahead and play him for 30 games a season given Gibbs' injury record. You won't get anywhere...

Think so. He was in demand all over apparently and has been capped for Italy in the last 2 years so must be alright. Hasn't played a single minute for us but he seems pretty chilled out(typical reserve GK...:rolleyes:) and popular with the squad so he might just sign permanently. £4m and £30k a week should do the trick.

Monreal has been atrocious at times this season, but he's also played very well for us at other times(mainly last season) so I doubt we'll be shifting him for better or worse.

Doubt Verm will leave either tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would get a RB even if sagna stays tbh just to break him in to the team. Either that or give Jenkinson/Bellerin some time in that spot more so than they have this season, neither are ready to start in our first team if Sagna leaves this summer though, Bellerin less so than Jenks.
You never know with Wenger, he might just throw Jenkinson into the XI with Bellerin as understudy. He's done similar things before with youngsters.
Original post by little_tom
Loan deal terminates, and we have the option to make the deal permanent at the end of the season. Although Palermo (the club he's being loaned from) will be in Serie A next year, meaning he could quite easily go back if he wants to play every game.

We probably won't get 7 players. We will definately get another striker and another goalkeeper and hopefully another central midfielder. That's three players.

We don't need another LB. RB & CB is contingent on Sagna and Vermaelen leaving, and Wenger could be tempted to bring back Joel Campbell if he wants to add depth to the flanks.

I don't see why he wouldn't go back, I remember a few years ago at Bologna he was in demand everywhere.

Irdk if you'll even get another striker. Wenger likes Giroud and dislikes spending money. Maybe you'll get a Drmic or a Morata on loan.

Original post by Zürich
Think so. He was in demand all over apparently and has been capped for Italy in the last 2 years so must be alright. Hasn't played a single minute for us but he seems pretty chilled out(typical reserve GK...:rolleyes:) and popular with the squad so he might just sign permanently. £4m and £30k a week should do the trick.

Monreal has been atrocious at times this season, but he's also played very well for us at other times(mainly last season) so I doubt we'll be shifting him for better or worse.

Doubt Verm will leave either tbh.

Yeah back-up goalies are weird. We had one a few years ago, Diego Cavalieri. Must have played about 5 games in two years for us, left for a random Italian team. I read up on him earlier this season, as it turns out he's been capped by Brazil and won the best goalie award in the Brazilian league, and I think they won the title as well. What the **** was he playing at moving to us if he was that good.
Jenkinson is a Championship player at best, for all this talk about him being 'Raw' maybe he's just not that good?! :dontknow:

When he was at Charlton, Palace opted not to buy him because they already had better in the squad at the time and didn't see him going up the divisions, similar to when he was in the conference. Listen to the last two Footballistically Arsenal podcasts Journos and those close to the clubs in question said it.

Jenks will probably go out on loan next season (Newcastle was mentioned previously) and Bellerin becomes the 2nd choice RB, which I have no issues with because that kid is quality and already better than Jenks imo.
Original post by Peggles_*
Jenkinson is a Championship player at best, for all this talk about him being 'Raw' maybe he's just not that good?! :dontknow:

When he was at Charlton, Palace opted not to buy him because they already had better in the squad at the time and didn't see him going up the divisions, similar to when he was in the conference. Listen to the last two Footballistically Arsenal podcasts Journos and those close to the clubs in question said it.

Jenks will probably go out on loan next season (Newcastle was mentioned previously) and Bellerin becomes the 2nd choice RB, which I have no issues with because that kid is quality and already better than Jenks imo.

He's got something about him though, some of his performances have been top top notch. Vs Bayern where he owned Robben for 90m and against City off the top of my head. Plenty of other 6/10s which is fine for his stage. He has been capped by England dont forget.

If you think about the things a RB needs. Athleticism, speed, crossing ability etc then he ticks most of the boxes. What lets him down are his inexperience and nerves sometimes, you can tell hes desperate to do well. Looks alot better with Mertesacker beside him feeding him instructions. Remember vs Chelsea in the CC he went to pieces beside Vermaelen...

I'd say loan him out to a PL team and see what happens. Nothing to lose really.
Reply 1017
Original post by baconbutty
I dont whether henry can be thought of as black

Wow.

Original post by 419

Someone you've not heard of before.

Btw NO Asain, Arab, Australians......i.e. NO NONE SOUTH AMERICAN, AFRICAN AND EUROPEAN have won the ballond'or before........... is that because they're........... dench as well?

Your statement isn't clear, but if you're saying no arab has ever won the BdO, Zidane? North African, but still considered ethnically Arab I would have thought.
Reply 1018
Original post by nosaer
Wow.

Your statement isn't clear, but if you're saying no arab has ever won the BdO, Zidane? North African, but still considered ethnically Arab I would have thought.

inb4 he sais Zidane was technically french
Reply 1019
Where are the Arsenal posts man the majority of today's posts here have been something regarding race :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest