The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths Tutor
Does the City of Nottingham have an internationally recognised legal boundary and its own jurisdiction?

Does Shefield have an internationally recognised legal boundary and its own jurisdiction?

Does Wokshop have an internationally recognised legal boundary and its own jurisdiction?

No?

Well, in that case they cannot become independent even if they would like to.

Just as Spain is claiming that Catalonia is an integral part of Spain and cannot have an independence referendum, Westminster would claim that Nottingham, Sheffield and Wokshop are an integral part of England and cannot have an independence referendum.

The independence of Scotland is therefore a slightly different matter than the independence of Nottingham, Sheffield and Wokshop, to say the least.

Even unionists have to admit that Scotland has a legal boundary with England and her own juridiction:

Oh dear. I think you're misunderstanding things again. Indeed you're absolutely right that it's unlikely those areas would have a legitimate claim for independence. But I can't see anything which really gives Scotland a more legitimate claim than any other part of the UK in terms of the principles of self-determination. They've achieved a referendum thanks to democracy and Westminster respecting the fact that the SNP won a majority of seats at the last Scottish election (if not a majority of votes), in terms of international law and the UN, the UK government would have had a legitimate reason for denying such a referendum. Scotland had no legal right to one. So you're argument about 'legal boundaries' is, once again, made up as you go along:

http://www.referendum.ed.ac.uk/does-scotland-have-the-right-to-secede/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9081
Original post by Boab
You seem to define being fully independent only by the factor that a country should control its own borders. Why?

As for the United States, you say they have full control of their borders. How effective is that at preventing illegal immigrants?

Germany is an independent country, and to suggest they are not because they welcome open borders is nonsense.

As I said earlier it is one example of less independence whilst in the EU. I'd say it is a pretty big part of being independent being able to control who can or cannot enter your country.
Reply 9082
all this crap about whether or not Scotland has a legal boundary (which it does) or whether it would be becoming fully independant (what does that even mean?), can somebody explain why Scotland should stay in the UK other than the UK's own selfish needs and greed?
Reply 9083
Original post by euphful
Oh dear. I think you're misunderstanding things again. Indeed you're absolutely right that it's unlikely those areas would have a legitimate claim for independence. But I can't see anything which really gives Scotland a more legitimate claim than any other part of the UK in terms of the principles of self-determination. They've achieved a referendum thanks to democracy and Westminster respecting the fact that the SNP won a majority of seats at the last Scottish election (if not a majority of votes), in terms of international law and the UN, the UK government would have had a legitimate reason for denying such a referendum. Scotland had no legal right to one. So you're argument about 'legal boundaries' is, once again, made up as you go along:

http://www.referendum.ed.ac.uk/does-scotland-have-the-right-to-secede/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quoting international law doesn't necessarily mean that international law is right.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/28/alex-salmond-fisheries-eu-scotland

Scotland's First minister loves to deal threats to other countries doesn't he? I wonder how this will pan out.

Full Speech: http://news.scotland.gov.uk/Speeches-Briefings/Scotland-s-Place-in-Europe-bdf.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9085
Original post by FinalMH
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/28/alex-salmond-fisheries-eu-scotland

Scotland's First minister loves to deal threats to other countries doesn't he? I wonder how this will pan out.

Full Speech: http://news.scotland.gov.uk/Speeches-Briefings/Scotland-s-Place-in-Europe-bdf.aspx

And if you read the whole speech for yourself, you can see it is a speech embracing the EU.

Saying if Scotland wasn't in the EU, then the Common Fisheries Policy wouldn't apply to Scottish waters is no threat but obvious reality.

He was selling Scotland in Europe. To label it as threatening other countries is preposterous!
Original post by cBay
all this crap about whether or not Scotland has a legal boundary (which it does) or whether it would be becoming fully independant (what does that even mean?), can somebody explain why Scotland should stay in the UK other than the UK's own selfish needs and greed?

What greed? The greed that sees Scotland receiving disproportionate levels of public spending courtesy of the Barnett formula?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boab
And if you read the whole speech for yourself, you can see it is a speech embracing the EU.

Saying if Scotland wasn't in the EU, then the Common Fisheries Policy wouldn't apply to Scottish waters is no threat but obvious reality.

He was selling Scotland in Europe. To label it as threatening other countries is preposterous!

Just like the SNP saying that no currency union equals no taking on of national debt. No threats at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9088
Original post by Midlander
Just like the SNP saying that no currency union equals no taking on of national debt. No threats at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that clearly was a threat. It is fairly obvious you know!
Original post by cBay

The main reason is because the majority of us want to stay.
Original post by Boab

It is poor salesmanship, and he has scared the wellies off his own fishermen. It was clearly his attempt to negotiate strongly iScotland's position into the EU, trying to make it appear that the EU fishing fleet would be gagging to get iScotland on board or would regret losing out on fishing rights.

Unfortunately, he has misplayed his hand by implying iScotland could bar free passage to Norwegian waters (it couldn't) and by forgetting that Scottish fishermen (likely to be outside the EU at independence until let back in) wouldn't be able to fish in EU waters - and this is likely to be a net loss to iScotland.

At least he now realises he will have to negotiate to get into the EU, and has stopped claiming that entry would be automatic.
Original post by Boab

It was a threat but also a fact. :tongue: Still I wonder how it will pan out, I personally believe if Scotland does vote for independence they will be in the EU.
Original post by FinalMH
It was a threat but also a fact. :tongue: Still I wonder how it will pan out, I personally believe if Scotland does vote for independence they will be in the EU.

They will have to make some pretty big concessions but they should get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boab

Actually lets have a look at this a bit more. How would you define the word "threat"?

Google's definition is "a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done"

Would you not agree that if the EU was refused access to Scottish waters it will inflict damage on EU fishers?

^ Simple question, which requires a yes or no answer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Unfortunately, he has misplayed his hand by implying iScotland could bar free passage to Norwegian waters (it couldn't) and by forgetting that Scottish fishermen (likely to be outside the EU at independence until let back in) wouldn't be able to fish in EU waters - and this is likely to be a net loss to iScotland.

Actually we would gain significantly. If all the fish caught in Scottish waters were caught by Scottish boats with Scottish crews, we could create thousands of jobs overnight.
Original post by flugelr
Actually we would gain significantly. If all the fish caught in Scottish waters were caught by Scottish boats with Scottish crews, we could create thousands of jobs overnight.

True that. I remember reading somewhere that the UK receives only 10% of fish caught in UK waters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flugelr

There are currently only about 5,000 Scottish fishermen, using about 2,000 boats. About a quarter of the total value is taken by the 27 big boats of the pelagic fleet. I seriously doubt there is much scope for instant expansion due to (a) a lack of boats (which cannot be conjured up overnight), (b) the disincentive to invest in a boat when later entry to the EU would lose the opportunities and (c) the inherent danger of the industry, which will act as a disincentive for men to get involved.
Original post by FinalMH

You may want to ask the EU that. They've already officially answered the question. As well as being consistent with their not so obvious hints.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_EuropeanandExternalRelationsCommittee/Inquiries/Letter_from_Viviane_Reding_Vice_President_of_the_European_Commission_dated_20_March_2014__pdf.pdf
(a) a lack of boats (which cannot be conjured up overnight),

You are right that you can't magic boats out of thin air, but you can buy them easily enough, and shipyards like MacDuff can knock out a new hull in a surprisingly short time.

However, the lack of boats wouldn't necessarily be a problem. Currently, boats are limited to a certain number of 'days at sea' by EU regulations. If we left the EU - and the EU boats left our waters - then Scottish boats could be out 365 days a year. Additionally, with less boats catching fish, the price of all species at market would go up.

Obviously crew cannot work non-stop and a boat tied up alongside would be losing money, so skippers would look to hire larger crews that they can rotate around to ensure the boat keeps running.

(b) the disincentive to invest in a boat when later entry to the EU would lose the opportunities

It depends how long it would take.

(c) the inherent danger of the industry, which will act as a disincentive for men to get involved.

At the moment it has become very hard to make a living from fishing. If, as I suggest above, prices rise, crew numbers rise and each boat is landing more fish, then wages will also rise as most fishermen are paid on a share basis.

Furthermore, I don't know anyone who fishes purely for the money. You do it because you come from a fishing community and it is what your family has always done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
You may want to ask the EU that. They've already officially answered the question. As well as being consistent with their not so obvious hints.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_EuropeanandExternalRelationsCommittee/Inquiries/Letter_from_Viviane_Reding_Vice_President_of_the_European_Commission_dated_20_March_2014__pdf.pdf

The EU commission is about to change, but entry to EU will only be allowed by unanimous backing by all current members, which I don't see them vetoing regardless of their separatist movements. One thing I do disagree on though is the terms of entry they won't be as favorable as some nationalist want.

Latest

Trending

Trending