The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by 419
Oh, I didn't know he wasn't signed. That's ridiculous.

I've been thinking the same and pretty much came to the same conclusion like you. We're all 'black' and are all oppressed equally by the super rich, "everywhere there's a chicago", the mention of the Marvin Gaye's anti-Vietnam song and the video showing struggles all over the world.

A bit strange to come out now with this given what Magic has gone through all his life. It does seem like everyone have forgotten what racism is and believe we live in a post racial society.

Still though I like the message and apart from Docs response it's the best response I've seen to all this new wave of racism.

Agreed, it's one of the best responses I've come across, and even though I don;t agree with the idea that classism is the new racism (anyone can be subjected to racism, regardless of class), I can appreciate the message he's trying to put out and the video is solid. The Sterling apologists are absolutely laughable.

Yeah I was surprised as well, but if it allows him to come out with more music like this I don;t mind. Though Love vs Money is one of my favourite RnB albums, he's great.
Reply 621
Saying that, what do you guys think about the Clarkson controversy?

Personally I think he's obviously being racist and controversial. If it was ok to mumble a racist part of a nursery rhyme then the BBC would have aired that version of the show?

Clearly they thought it wasn't ok.
Reply 622
Clarkson is clearly a mug judging by some of his past comments as well and loves the attention. Haven't seen anything about this new controversy from him, will look into it later, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he was racist.
If you've seen him on QI or PQ17 and stuff, his top gear persona is clearly not his actual persona. He plays up to it quiet a bit. Top Gear is always a bit boisterous and non PC, that kind its thing, I'd imagine if you look throughout the reels there are plenty of times they have overstepped the mark and the BBC has reeled in back in before broadcast. On borrowed time though tbh, certain people always hate it because of the feminist angle, the childishness, and such, but with scandals mounting and it getting a bit stale of late, I'd think BBC will be looking to wrap it up.
Reply 624
Just watch the video. Really hard to make it out what he said. Nothing will happen from this.

Top gear is a terrible gimmick anyways. Everything about it is desperately fake.

Grown men acting like 11 years old and making tens of millions off it as well. Damn.
That kind of deliberate and obvious racism isn't Clarkson's style. He's a mild Xenophobe at worst and that's part of his tv persona.
Reply 626
Original post by sevchenko
That kind of deliberate and obvious racism isn't Clarkson's style. He's a mild Xenophobe at worst and that's part of his tv persona.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-not-use-n-word

That's what he said earlier today.

What he says later today is this.
https://www.facebook.com/LADbible?fref=nf
Check the first bit of that page. Where he says that he actually said the word.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-begs-forgiveness-n-word-top-gear
Honestly this is no different than the John Terry case. Slip of the tongue or whatever, still a racist term and he should be punished.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-begs-forgiveness-n-word-top-gear
Honestly this is no different than the John Terry case. Slip of the tongue or whatever, still a racist term and he should be punished.

Clarkson recited a rhyme that has a racist term in it, and specifically tried to not say it/mumbled it. Terry called someone a "****ing black ****" to their face. Not even comparable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 628
Original post by manchesterunited15
Clarkson recited a rhyme that has a racist term in it, and specifically tried to not say it/mumbled it. Terry called someone a "****ing black ****" to their face. Not even comparable.

I mean as in how it's a slip of the tongue.
Original post by jam277
I mean as in how it's a slip of the tongue.

I'm not sure you can say Terry's was a slip of the tongue really. It's simply racist abuse, you don't call someone a "****ing black ****" if you're not racist.

But anyway, I'm as much against racism as any other sensible person but I don't think Clarkson's done anything worth punishing. He's said the rhyme and actively tried not to say the offensive word. The way he made a serious video to try and clear it up shows it's not him trying to be offensive as part of his persona, it's a genuine mistake/slip of the tongue.
Reply 630
I'm not sure you can say Terry's was a slip of the tongue really. It's simply racist abuse, you don't call someone a "****ing black ****" if you're not racist.

But anyway, I'm as much against racism as any other sensible person but I don't think Clarkson's done anything worth punishing. He's said the rhyme and actively tried not to say the offensive word. The way he made a serious video to try and clear it up shows it's not him trying to be offensive as part of his persona, it's a genuine mistake/slip of the tongue.

Not really, it can easily be seen as a slip of the tongue, emotions run high in a match of football, both guys were abusing each other and Terry said something that went too far.

Here it's a TV program where he didn't have to say the joke at all. Has clearly said a racial slur which he has done before(calling asian slopes). He's clearly said a racist term.

Also if he said that top gear shouldn't air that part of the program, then he should have just told the BBC to delete it before the daily mirror got a hold of it. His video apology sounds like bull**** tbh.

I was also saying it was similar to Terry because of how he originally categorically denied it at first, then admitted saying it eventually.
Original post by jam277

It was a honest unintentional mistake. I totally agree with MU15. I'm sure why you've mentioned John Terry at all.

LOL at fb comment from Jordan Clarke under the vid
Reply 632
Original post by sevchenko
It was a honest unintentional mistake. I totally agree with MU15. I'm sure why you've mentioned John Terry at all.

LOL at fb comment from Jordan Clarke under the vid

If that's an unintentional mistake, then what John Terry said was an unintentional mistake.

Do you not get what I'm saying?
Original post by jam277
Not really, it can easily be seen as a slip of the tongue, emotions run high in a match of football, both guys were abusing each other and Terry said something that went too far.

Here it's a TV program where he didn't have to say the joke at all. Has clearly said a racial slur which he has done before(calling asian slopes). He's clearly said a racist term.

Also if he said that top gear shouldn't air that part of the program, then he should have just told the BBC to delete it before the daily mirror got a hold of it. His video apology sounds like bull**** tbh.

I was also saying it was similar to Terry because of how he originally categorically denied it at first, then admitted saying it eventually.

Yeah I know but I just think only a racist person would think to add 'black' into such an offensive phrase.

He didn't have to make the joke, but from what I gather he was making a decision, and using "eenie meenie" is common in that scenario.

He probably didn't expect an unaired section of a program to ever make it to the papers. Maybe that's naive but still...
Reply 634
Yeah I know but I just think only a racist person would think to add 'black' into such an offensive phrase.

He didn't have to make the joke, but from what I gather he was making a decision, and using "eenie meenie" is common in that scenario.

He probably didn't expect an unaired section of a program to ever make it to the papers. Maybe that's naive but still...

Yeah I know but I just think only a racist person would think to use the word ****** into a nursery rhyme and talk about catching it by the toe. You get what I'm saying. Also find the use of that word and the word toe, because of what they used to do to black peoples toes is quite offensive too.

He was making a decision, but then he could have said tiger, or baby or anything that's not the n word.
Original post by jam277
Yeah I know but I just think only a racist person would think to use the word ****** into a nursery rhyme and talk about catching it by the toe. You get what I'm saying. Also find the use of that word and the word toe, because of what they used to do to black peoples toes is quite offensive too.

He was making a decision, but then he could have said tiger, or baby or anything that's not the n word.

The difference is that Terry thought of his phrase himself, whereas Clarkson has probably heard that nursery rhyme hundreds of times as a kid growing up in the 60s. So he didn't "think" to use that word exactly, it was just natural as that's how he's used to it being.
Reply 636
The difference is that Terry thought of his phrase himself, whereas Clarkson has probably heard that nursery rhyme hundreds of times as a kid growing up in the 60s. So he didn't "think" to use that word exactly, it was just natural as that's how he's used to it being.

I was raised to call mixed raced people half cast people as my mother always used that term. Do I refer to them as that? No because it's a clearly offensive phrase with offensive roots.

Plus my wife Alicia Keys probably won't be too happy if I were to use that term to describe her.

This kind of **** should be weeded out by the age of 12 nowadays regardless of upbringing. Even if it hasn't been weeded out because of upbringing, with the way that society has improved, surely you should know that a nursery rhyme like that isn't acceptable. :rolleyes:

Anyway the quicker the older bigoted lot die off the better for humanity anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I was raised to call mixed raced people half cast people as my mother always used that term. Do I refer to them as that? No because it's a clearly offensive phrase with offensive roots.

Plus my wife Alicia Keys probably won't be too happy if I were to use that term to describe her.

This kind of **** should be weeded out by the age of 12 nowadays regardless of upbringing. Even if it hasn't been weeded out because of upbringing, with the way that society has improved, surely you should know that a nursery rhyme like that isn't acceptable. :rolleyes:

Anyway the quicker the older bigoted lot die off the better for humanity anyway.

He doesn't refer to them as that exactly. He said it in the context of the rhyme, that's all. It's like with Eminem: he says faggot a lot in his songs. I wouldn't say someone who listens to him and raps along and says the word faggot rather than replacing it with whatever the clean alternative is is homophobic. They would only be homophobic if they actually used it in regular speech to refer to someone gay.

It's all a massive overreaction tbh.
Original post by jam277
If that's an unintentional mistake, then what John Terry said was an unintentional mistake.

Do you not get what I'm saying?

You have to examine the context of both situations. Like you said "emotions run high in a match of football, both guys were abusing each other and Terry said something that went too far." John Terry intentionally set out rile Anton through racist abuse. Why else would he make a reference to the colour of his skin? I don't care if emotions are running high that doesn't give you the right to racially abuse anyone. He knew what he was saying.

Clarkson on the other hand , as we can see, is perfectly clam and well aware of the language in the rhymes and purposefully intends to avoid it. The footage in question was never meant to be broadcasted or released to the public. Later Clarkson is aware of his mistake and actively rectifies it. He didn't want that footage shown at all. What more could you ask him to do? On the other hand JT thinks it's smart racially abuse someone on International Television with a stadium surrounded by cameras.

He isn't a racist it was just a mistake. People are blowing it up because it's Clarkson and he's like Marmite.
Reply 639
Intentionally covering up a term, so he could have either said a less offensive version of the rhyme, stopped it or not use it at all?

Latest